Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecticut group flags high school routs

Connecticut group flags high school routs

http://news.newstimeslive.com/story....egory=Regional

By DONNA TOMMELLEO AP Sports Writer

HARTFORD (AP) - Any Connecticut high school football coach who runs up the score in a game now runs the risk of being suspended.

The football committee of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, the state board that governs high school sports, has adopted a "score management" policy to keep teams from winning by more than 50 points.

The rout is considered an unsportsmanlike infraction and, beginning this fall, the head coach of the offending team will be disqualified from coaching the next game, said Tony Mosa, assistant executive director of the Cheshire-based CIAC.

"We were concerned with any coach running up the game. There's no need for it," Mosa said Wednesday. "This is something that we really have been discussing for the last couple of years. There were a number of games that were played where the difference of scores were 60 points or more. It's not focused on any one particular person."

Still, some around the state have dubbed it the "Jack Cochran rule," after the New London coach of the same name.

During halftime of New London's 60-0 rout of Tourtelotte/Ellis Tech last season, opposing coach Tim Panteleakos was arrested on breach of peace charges. With his team sitting on a huge lead, Cochran called a timeout just before the half, and that apparently riled Panteleakos.

He allegedly hit a New London security officer and tried to hit a New London assistant coach.

Cochran's teams logged four wins of more than 50 points last year.

"It's basically the Jack (Cochran) rule," Hyde Leadership-New Haven football coach John Acquavita told the New Haven Register. "For one guy, you're putting the stress on the entire state. It's the most asinine, insane thing I've ever heard of in my life."

Leo Facchini, New London's athletic director, called it unfair to single out his coach or the sport of football.

"He's not the only person that's had big scores. Score management is not only an issue in football. It's an issue in sports across the board," Facchini said. "There needs to be some remedy."

Facchini said he and Cochran tried to pull in the reins during New London's 90-0 drubbing of Griswold last season by trying to get both sides and the timekeeper to agree to run a continuous clock.

"We were told no. As the second half started, I radioed up to the timekeeper three times to run the clock," Facchini said. "Trying to defend a 90-to-nothing game is going to make me look like an idiot. We did try to remedy it."

The CIAC's Mosa said the football committee unanimously approved the policy last month after "considerable discussion and debate."

The state already has a 15-run mercy rule in softball. If a team is ahead by at least that much, the game is stopped after five innings.

For football, the committee looked at various options on the issue, including using the continuous clock used by other states. In Iowa, for example, if a team is ahead by 35 points in the second half, the game clock runs continuously until the game is over.

Facchini favors running out the clock in routs, and said he plans to use it if necesssary at New London home games this fall.

"We're going to run the clock if we feel the score's out of hand," Facchini said.

But Mosa said committee members believed the clock rule would be unfair to junior varsity players who likely would be on the field during lopsided games.

"They should be able to participate (rather) than to simply run out the clock," Mosa said.

Football committee chairman Leroy Williams agreed.

"It was felt that the J-V parents pay to come to the game and that should not be taken away from them," Williams said.

Williams, now a middle school principal in New Haven, formerly coached high school in the city and remembers well the beatings his teams were handed. He recalls being down by 54 points in one game and having the opposing team line up for an onside kick after scoring.

"Try to explain that to kids," Williams said. "When you get someone down, you don't have to kick them. The key thing to remember is, it's about the quality of the game. It's about teaching kids right from wrong. It's about the game of life and that's how we had to look about it."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Connecticut group flags high school routs

Stupid.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

more PC run amok.

I'm all for it. It should be extended to academics. I've always thought it was unsportsmanlike to bust perfectly good curves. Those really smart kids need to be encouraged to miss a few questions so normal kids don't feel so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    more PC run amok.

I think this hurts the players more than anything. Especially those who are fighting for a college scholarship, and those 2nd and 3rd string players fighting for playing time.

If there is a rout going on, and the reserves are in, this is their chance to shine. Asking them to fall down at the goal line or not run hard up the middle or take a knee after a great break just because the score is about to go 50+ points ahead, it isn't fair.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I think the suspensions and punishments and all the punitive part of it is stupid. This seems to reek of unintended consequences.

But I don't see anything wrong with some of the mercy rules part of it (running the clock continuously, run rule, etc.). I've seen my share of games where one team completely and utterly outclasses the other and it's no fun.

You can talk about playing time for JV kids all you want, but when you're getting completely blasted by 80 points, you just want to get the heck out of the gym.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

It's the other teams job to stop run up scores, now the running up team should put in backups at least
    Go Gators!

Hopefully no ones feelings will get hurt and both teams can celebrate the end of the game with a group hug.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    more PC run amok.
    Are you in favor of 60-point spreads?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Are you in favor of 60-point spreads?
    I don't care what the spread is, play the game. I certainly am not in favor of telling 2nd/3rd string players to lay down and not play the game the way it is supposed to be played. I suggest the losing team use the experience as an opportunity to learn and get better.

I know in the real world the competition generally let's up on their opponents when they have them down.

There are ways to stop this sort of thing other than fining coaches.

For example: I coached a 9th grade basketball team when I was in college. We went 0-18. (My have been the hardest working team I ever coached, BTW.) We were down 35 or so in the 4th quarter and they were still pressing. The officials sensed my frustration and everytime one of their defenders breathed on my PG, he called a foul. He hit enough freethrows in 2 mintues to get it down to a 25 point game. The opposing coach finally realized what was going on and called off the dogs.

So... the threat of a fine is not such a bad thing, but there can be ways of policing that sort of thing before it gets to that level.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The best way to handle it is to use it as an opportunity to improve and maybe pay 'em back the next time. Having been on the losing side of some routs in baseball and basketball, I know that only losing by X amount instead of Y doesn't change anything. You know you got your butt kicked and you know the difference between only losing by 49 or by 63 doesn't mean squat. You got killed and everyone knows it. I sure hope nobody walks away saying "Wow, we feel better because we only lost by 49".

When you're shaping and molding young athletes, is it really important to let them get shelled by 60 points? Are they going to learn an extra lesson they wouldn't have learned if they had only lost by 45?

Would it be "character-building" for a second- or third-string kid to get hurt in a blowout because the coaches wouldn't call off the dogs?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Which is more humiliating, losing by 60 points or losing by 49 and knowing the other team wasn't allowed to try at the end? Ultimately it should be up to the coaches to show good sportsmanship by not intentionally running up the score. Coaches that continually show poor sportsmanship should be fired, however think it is a mistake to judge a coaches behavior by the final score. In my opinion one of the worst things you can ask a kid to do is to stop trying.

By all means use a running clock, and make sure the reserves are playing when the game is out of hand, but most of all encourage creative coaching. Challange coaches to find ways to allow both sides to play hard without making the game a joke. For example in hockey there are games where only our defensemen are allowed to shoot the puck. Other times our players must make 6 passes before a shot is taken. Still other times we work on cycling the puck for an entire period. Coaches are the only ones that can make it work.

Turn Off Ads?