Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cody Ross back Wednesday?/Ross Activated Burns Optioned

Cody Ross back Wednesday?/Ross Activated Burns Optioned

"Move coming? The Reds should have a roster move to make Wednesday, when outfielder Cody Ross' 20-day Minor League rehabilitation assignment ends. Ross hasn't played since bruising his left pinky when hit by a pitch April 28." - Reds.com

I know alot of people were wondering when/if Cody Ross will be back. Wednesday is the day the Reds have to make a move. Ross is playing well right now in Louisville:

Individual Stats (Batting) (click column headers to sort)
    Player POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG OPS E
    Cody Ross OF 15 50 11 17 1 0 3 6 27 13 12 0 2 .484 .540 .340 1.024 1

I'm guessing McCracken goes with his .206 average, but could a trade be out there?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cody Ross back Wednesday?

Q leaving is my guess.

Mercker gets off the DL on Friday, and that should signal the end of Mike Burns.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I hope Quinton and Burns are gone. Burns was throwing a little BP last night.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

We have to be able to deal SOMEONE to some team out there.
    The Yankees, for example, started TERRANCE LONG in LF last night.
    Talk about a dearth of starting outfielders.

Give the Yanks Q for Himes and Howard.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Q leaving is my guess.

Mercker gets off the DL on Friday, and that should signal the end of Mike Burns.
    Doesn't solve the problem known as Rick White...

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    We have to be able to deal SOMEONE to some team out there.
    The Yankees, for example, started TERRANCE LONG in LF last night.
    Talk about a dearth of starting outfielders.

Give the Yanks Q for Himes and Howard.
    With those two moves coming this week, the Reds get much better....

Is Mercker ok? I know when he first went on the DL some of the radio guys were speculating it might be very serious.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Doesn't seem too serious, he should be ready to go Friday. From reds.com:

Notes: Mercker ready to pitch
    Left-hander feels fine and has been medically cleared to play
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Left-handed reliever Kent Mercker felt ready, willing and able to pitch for the Reds again on Monday.

Only one problem -- he wasn't available, not yet anyway.

Mercker, who hopes to face hitters in simulated action on Wednesday, is expected to step right back into his late-inning bullpen role when he returns. Lefties Chris Hammond and Brian Shackelford have taken some of his innings.

"I don't know about control-wise right now, but I feel healthy enough that I could pitch tonight," said Mercker, who has a 3.52 ERA in 12 appearances this season. "I don't care how long you do this, you still have to get on the mound a couple of times and work through your mechanics to where this doesn't happen again."

Before going on the DL, Mercker was given a cortisone shot that lessened the inflammation. An MRI test taken last week was negative for anything serious. Doctors told the pitcher that he had "an old elbow," not a surprising finding since the 38-year-old has been pitching in the big leagues since 1989.

"I was like, 'I could have saved $700 and 45 minutes and told you that before I got here," Mercker joked. "I've got an old knee. I've got old feet. I've got an old wife."

Besides throwing 38 pitches in the bullpen, Mercker also did some long-tossing -- which he thought was an important test.

"That's one thing when I was kind of battling this, I couldn't do," Mercker said. "I'd get weak when I do that and then try to overthrow."

Mercker is expected to step right back into his late-inning bullpen role when he returns. Lefties Chris Hammond and Brian Shackelford have taken some of his innings.

Anyone think we may see them go to an 11 man pitching staff? Burns and Shackelford both go to Louisville to make room for Mercker and Ross, with McCracken staying. Just a thought.

Q wouldn't be the one staying if they went to 11 man pitching staff. They'd bring Olmedo back instead. I think Shackleford will stay.

I've got an old wife.
    Dude is brave.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

With that wise remark about his wife, look for Mercker to return to the DL instead of being ready Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan
    Q wouldn't be the one staying if they went to 11 man pitching staff. They'd bring Olmedo back instead. I think Shackleford will stay.
    There's no need for Olmedo with Freel and Aurilia already here and able to back up all of the infield spots.

saboforthird

As far as I am concerned, his butt can stay on the DL. Not much public respect for his wife, and he always gives me the impression (not a fact, just an impression, LOL) that's just biding his time.

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    As far as I am concerned, his butt can stay on the DL. Not much public respect for his wife, and he always gives me the impression (not a fact, just an impression, LOL) that's just biding his time.
    I think you're over reacting... I'm fairly certain he meant it as a joke because he was calling everything old in that comment.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?