Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cody Ross back Wednesday?/Ross Activated Burns Optioned

Re: Cody Ross back Wednesday?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    I think you can keep both C.Ross and McCracken. In my opinion, the best move is to send down a pitcher to make room for C. Ross:

1) Activate OF Cody Ross. Option RHP Mike Burns.

2) Activate LHP Kent Mercker. Option LHP Brian Shackelford or DFA RHP Rick White.

This leaves the club with 11 pitchers, which is plenty.
    I shall neg you for being a witch!

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

My hunch:

Shackelford will get a return trip to Louisville to make room for Mercker.

We'll go with a six-man pen for a few weeks.

We don't really need an expanded pen right now, not with the consistent starts being racked up by Harang and Arroyo and not with the erratic Williams gone from the rotation.

Besides, why carry any seventh reliever with an ERA greater than 7? Rick White with his 6.87 ERA ought to be the absolute, uppper limits of our tolerance, and as is, he's on pretty thin ice for such a big guy.

Ross in, Burns out

Mike Burns is now eating Louisville worms. I figgered last night had him packing and gassing up, but I didn't see it coming until Friday. I guess McCracken is employed until Friday, unless someone is injured between now and then (crosses fingers).

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...-burns-out.asp

Cody Ross' eternal rehab assignment is over. He was activated from the DL today and Mike Burns was optioned back to Louisville.

Guess it is a bit intriguing that they're going down to 11 pitchers, but that might only last a couple of days, pending Mercker's expected return Friday.

posted by Marc at 3:03 PM
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Re: Ross in, Burns out

Oops, I looked but did not see it posted in the other Ross thread, but now see it is in there. Merge or lock, sorry.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    LH hitters are 1-17 against Shack this year. He could be very good if spotted as a LOOGY. I am not sure Narron has a clue how to setup a bullpen to make use of a LOOGY.
    Excellent point about Shackelford. I do think he could resurface later this season in just such a specialized, limited role.

But I don't see him as a keeper in the bullpen if it's reduced to a six-man contingent, not with two other southpaws, Mercker and Hammond, among the fold.

Shackelford has the option and is the easy option to move temporarily to Louisville. He could be back soon enough, or perhaps we'll see a fresher face from Chattanooga, as in Shafer, Coutlangas, Dumatrait or Guevara. All are flashing plenty of promise this summer.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Cody Ross activated; Mike Burns sent to AAA

The Reds today returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 15-day disabled list OF Cody Ross.

To make room for Ross on the roster, RHP Mike Burns was optioned to Louisville.

#16 CODY ROSS, of (.467, 2hr, 9rbi, 1sb): Media guide bio is available in the press box...since 5/5 has been on a rehabilitation assignment at Class AAA Louisville (15g, .340, 3hr, 6rbi)...on 5/2 went on the 15-day disabled list with a bruised left pinky finger...on 4/28 vs Hou made his Reds debut, pinch hit and struck out...during that plate appearance was hit on the left pinky finger while swinging at a Roy Oswalt pitch...X-rays were negative, but he didn't play in 3g before he went on the DL...on 4/24 was acquired from the Dodgers in exchange for a PTBNL...took the roster spot vacated by IF/OF Tony Womack, who was designated for assignment...made 8 apps for LAD, including starts in RF on 4/10 at Pit (2-4, 1 3b, 1rbi) and 4/13 at Pit (3-5, 2hr, 7rbi)...in that career game on 4/13 at Pit hit a grand slam off Oliver Perez and a 3-run HR off Damaso Marte...began the season with the Dodgers...on 4/17 was designated for assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    I think you can keep both C.Ross and McCracken. In my opinion, the best move is to send down a pitcher to make room for C. Ross:

1) Activate OF Cody Ross. Option RHP Mike Burns.

2) Activate LHP Kent Mercker. Option LHP Brian Shackelford or DFA RHP Rick White.

This leaves the club with 11 pitchers, which is plenty.
    Wow nice call!

It is good to see Cody back.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    ... been doing that for the last three weeks.
    Man, I need to be looking at the AAA box. I am going right now to see how he and Wagner are doing. Too darn busy these days. thanks

Re: Cody Ross back Wednesday?/Ross Activated Burns Optioned

I have a question about Cody since I don't know alot about him.

What are his skill sets? Is he a speed guy, power guy, a little bit of both? How is his defense in the outfield? WHo would you compare him to in the majors?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reds44

What are his skill sets? Is he a speed guy, power guy, a little bit of both? How is his defense in the outfield? WHo would you compare him to in the majors?

thanks

He looks to be a David Delucci type.

here are Ross' minor league stats.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ody-ross.shtml
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    He looks to be a David Delucci type.

here are Ross' minor league stats.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ody-ross.shtml
    Gracias

Quote Originally Posted by reds44

thanks
    He's a plus defender, with fair speed and some definite pop in his bat for a little guy. He could hit in the .260-.280 range, but it's hard to tell. He's kicked around the minor leagues awhile, but only enjoyed a few cups of coffee in the majors.

Oh, by the way, he's one of the rare positional players who throws left-handed and bats RH. The most famous of these elusive creatures: Ricky Henderson.

"Agent" Cody Ross
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock
    The most famous of these elusive creatures: Ricky Henderson.
    Yeah, but Rickey has four toes on each paw and occasionally bites when threatened.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    "Agent" Cody Ross
    He's good..but he's no Deno.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?