Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidor Anyone?

Humidor Anyone?

Seems like it is working in Colorado by putting balls in a humid control room to weigh them down. Could the success of Reds pitchers at Great American Ballpark be helped with the use of a humidor?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Humidor Anyone?

In July/August Cincinnati is one giant humidor and the balls still fly out of the park.

Maybe they should start putting the balls in a room with a bunch of de-humidifiers. That'll make 'em lighter, like a whiffle ball, and they won't travel as far.

Probably they just need to get some better pitching...groundball type guys instead of meatball chucking flyball guys like the dearly departed Dave Williams.

I wonder how that is even legal. Can teams tamper with the ball? I have heard about making the chalk lines thick or cutting the grass high/low. This just doesn't sound right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly
    I wonder how that is even legal. Can teams tamper with the ball? I have heard about making the chalk lines thick or cutting the grass high/low. This just doesn't sound right to me.
    I think the Rockies had to get special permission from MLB to do it.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    I think the Rockies had to get special permission from MLB to do it.
    And it is b/c of their park, not their pitching staff. I think Selig would laugh at this one.

Biggest cheaters in baseball
    Page 2 staff

#7 The Bossard Family (groundskeepers, Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, 1920s-present)

When Gene Bossard, who took care of the Comiskey Park field from 1940-83, died in 1998 at age 80, he knew that his legacy of altering the field to the White Sox's advantage would continue through his son, Roger, who followed him as head groundskeeper. According to his Sun-Times obit, "The Comiskey Park infield once was known as 'Bossard's Swamp' because he kept it watered down for sinkerball pitchers Dick Donovan, Tommy John and Joel Horlen. He also soaked the area around first base when opposing base stealers came to town, and he kept the baselines raised so that Nellie Fox's bunts stayed fair."

In 1999, Roger told The Seattle Times that his grandfather, Emil, a groundskeeper for the Cleveland Indians in the 1920s and 1930s, would move Cleveland's portable fences back 12-15 feet when the Yankees visited, taking away their power advantage.

But Dad, Bossard said, was the great innovator. "He invented frozen baseballs in 1967. He and Eddie Stanky (manager of the White Sox). We had three pitchers that year -- Tommy John, Joel Horlen and Gary Peters -- and that was our whole team. We had no offense. In the bowels of the old stadium my dad had an old room where the humidifier was constantly going. By leaving the balls in that room for 10 to 14 days, they became a quarter to a half ounce heavier."

And Gene passed on the family know-how. "In 1971 or '72, when Chuck Tanner was our manager, we played Oakland during their dynasty," Roger said. "Chuck said, 'Make sure Billy North doesn't steal a base.' First time, Wilbur Wood walks North on four pitches. Everyone knows he's going to steal. He took a step and a half, but we had doctored the baseline, and he fell to his knees. Our catcher threw to first and tagged him out. Me and my dad had a big smile. But they still beat us by eight runs."

During the 1993 playoffs, Toronto's Rickey Henderson fell just short of accusing the youngest Bossard of doing all he could to make Comiskey slow. "These basepaths are soft. Tim Raines has, what, 17 stolen bases (really 21)? Well, you know the field's messed up. He told me he can't run on this stuff. You slip a lot. I think it's one of the worst fields for traction."
    http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/chea...llplayers.html

Just get rid of the fences, we did well in Detroit..

Oh wait
    Go Gators!

I'd be all for the humidor. You hear the bad pitching arguments and that is valid. But GABP is built too small. Right field is extremley short. 325 down the line and power alley is 370. You shouldn't have both. Make it short down the line, but not so short in the power alley. Was this done with Griffey in mind? I'm ok with left field. 328 down the line and 379 power alley is acceptable. Center is 404 and that is ok. One thing you see in many parks is areas in left or right field power alley's where the fence bumps way out then comes back in in center.....Some bail out spots for the pitcher. Like Minute Maid park is short like GABP, but has that massive center field. The Jake has deep power alley in left then comes in at center, also has the mini green monster in left that keeps ball in play. I'd love to see them tinker with the outfield some. They could easily push center back some and add a good 8-10 ft for a bail out area. There is just that grass hill area in front of the batter's eye. The outfield just has no character to it.

Why don't we just soak the balls in the ohio river, get 'em nice and juicy.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    Why don't we just soak the balls in the ohio river, get 'em nice and juicy.
    Better yet they should store them in the belly of a catfish, packed in an igloo cooler with river mud.

Store em in the river? they must disintegrate from it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Better yet they should store them in the belly of a catfish, packed in an igloo cooler with river mud.
    That would make them very stinky. Even better!
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Seems like it is working in Colorado by putting balls in a humid control room to weigh them down. Could the success of Reds pitchers at Great American Ballpark be helped with the use of a humidor?
    I have wondered about that since the reds went to colorado.....I think it is worth a shot....but Im sure the hitters would complain about how the balls die here....

It's humid enough in Cincinnati once June rolls around....
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly

I read somewhere that they were actually keeping them at the baseball "legal" level by putting them in the humidor. Being stored outside of it in the thin air of Denver for weeks was causing some of the problems.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Turn Off Ads?