Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does A-Rod struggle in clutch situations?

Why does A-Rod struggle in clutch situations?

This was the question posed on Baseball Tonight last night. The expert chosen to handle this question? None other than the king of objective analysis himself, Joe Morgan. Joe proceeded to talk about the usual culprits, pressure of playing in New York, etc., etc.

But my issue is less with Morgan's response to the question, which was nothing if not predictable, than with the question itself. It's nothing short of lazy journalism because they have taken the leap that the concept of A-Rod always struggling in the "clutch" is a fact. The ironic thing about it is that the evidence to either support or refute this "fact" is available on their own web site, none of which was cited during the discussion! From espn.com:

From 2003-05, in close-and-late situations, Rodriguez has hit 15 HR with 48 RBI and 43 runs scored in 228 ABs and a line of .276/.392/.553/.945. In other words, pretty much in line with his overall career stats. Extrapolate his numbers out to an entire "season" of 600 close-and-late ABs and the man would have 166 H, 113 R, 39 HR and 126 RBI.

Now I'm no particular fan of A-Rod but this just strikes me as another case of ESPN's laziness, as well as the tendency for media and fans to pick on a team's best player because he has the audacity to be anything less than perfect. (Not an invitation for another pro/con Dunn thread, please. )

Comments appreciated.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Leading league in hotness

Re: Why does A-Rod struggle in clutch situations?

I've always loved A-Rod and I hope he smashes every record in the books. He just gets picked on a lot because there is a lot of talk about him being the best baseball player ever, and people expect him to be some kind of Hercules.
    Da Bulls
    Da Bears
    Da Reds?

A lot of it has to do with the loud complaints of unrealistic fans in NY and the fact that he hit a HR when the Yanks were down 8-0 last night against the Reds Sox. Guess it would have been better if he'd grounded out.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed
    It's nothing short of lazy journalism
    I think this says it all. If "clutch" indeed exists, then A-Rod is not non-clutch.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

One of the biggest problems is how Ortiz seems to come up with the big hit and ARod does not. Then it is magnified 500 times b/c of the NY factor. But since I see a lot of NY games out here, I have to say it is a legitimate point and one that definitely exists.

He got the big game winner tonight, and Ortiz had a chance and didn't. But since I'm a Red Sox fan, the myth of A-Rod's unclutchness is fun for me. I just think the NY media is savage and he made the mistake of showing that he cares how he's portrayed, so they're feeding off him like the vultures they are. And ESPN just picks it up and starts picking over the carcass themselves, because they're no better.

I did look at the numbers and Arod's 3 year OPS splits with RISP are about .100 less than his overall OPS. (but still in th .830 range)
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I did look at the numbers and Arod's 3 year OPS splits with RISP are about .100 less than his overall OPS. (but still in th .830 range)
    But the "late and close" stat is, I believe, where he struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed
    this just strikes me as another case of ESPN's laziness
    My 13 year old son watches ESPN constantly and I think he believes everything he hears, despite my constantly admonishing him that much of the commentary on ESPN is garbage.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

must be because he sucks
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    But the "late and close" stat is, I believe, where he struggles.
    Does he?

2002-2005 Close and Late: .392 OBP, .553 SLG- .945 OPS

He also allegedly "struggles" against Boston...

2002-2005 vs. Boston: .408 OBP, .514 SLG- .922 OPS

And in the playoffs...

Career Playoffs: .393 OBP, .534 SLG- .927 OPS

And in three LCS: .413 OBP, .611 SLG- 1.024 OPS

In reference to A-Rod's performance, the only things that struggle are oblivious Yankees fans and media luddites looking for the next dumb thing to say.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    My 13 year old son watches ESPN constantly and I think he believes everything he hears, despite my constantly admonishing him that much of the commentary on ESPN is garbage.
    Just tell him that if he continues to do that, he'll go blind.

Worked for Raisor's parents.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Obviously he's not playing the game "The right way"

I think this is just another tactic to play on the Yank/New York people's anxiety about not being in the World Series for the past two years. *gasp* And not winning it since... *louder gasp*
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Does he?

2002-2005 Close and Late: .392 OBP, .553 SLG- .945 OPS

He also allegedly "struggles" against Boston...

2002-2005 vs. Boston: .408 OBP, .514 SLG- .922 OPS

And in the playoffs...

Career Playoffs: .393 OBP, .534 SLG- .927 OPS

And in three LCS: .413 OBP, .611 SLG- 1.024 OPS

In reference to A-Rod's performance, the only things that struggle are oblivious Yankees fans and media luddites looking for the next dumb thing to say.
    I was obviously wrong there. Just from watching Yankee games b/c of where I live I have to say ARod definitely struggles in the big game/AB. It has happened many times and he actually has admitted to it. I even believe Torre has addressed it in the papers. The papers were all giddy b/c of his HR last night, but if the bullpen didn't get lit up his HR would have been less meaningful. I can;t look up the stats b/c I am at work, but what are his career playoff stats since he got to NY, including power numbers? I think they might be worse.

Turn Off Ads?