Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Common topics on the board

  1. #1
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,298

    Common topics on the board

    Since I find myself repeating the same statements every day, I'm just going to post what my feelings about many of the arguments/discussions currently running rampant on the board and then, hopefully, I can get back to rooting on the team towards the playoffs. After reading one of the threads on the ORG board I can see where the never ending BS about the same subjects can get annoying. If you want to rename this thread "Steel Cage Battle Royal", we can all brawl in this thread about everything and anything regarding the Reds. The game threads used to be a lot better when they didn't turn into chat rooms...that was something that really made sense when I read it. Threads are what hey are...threads about the game. I think I was one of those violators, using the thread as my personal microphone. And the threads in Reds Live have sucked this week, though tonight's was a bit better. Here it goes:

    1) First and foremost, the bullpen: It is quite obvious that the BP is a disaster. Todd Coffey is our best reliever and his last two outings he was used to protect 4 and 5 run leads. Scary. Tonight I can see since he hadn't pitched since Friday. But Friday's appearance was completely unwarranted, especially since he had pitched a lot recently. That just shows the current state of the bullpen. Coffey throws a lot of multi-inning games and they better get him some help or else he will be very, very tired during the stretch run. It boggles my mind that our BP has had this many useless pitchers. How did Burns have a job? How does White still have one? Kriv has to get some help there or else it will be a long summer. Getting Willis wouldn't mean squat if we have RW coming in after him.

    2) Junior in CF: Again, a topic that has been beaten to death. I honestly can't see him being completely healthy for the rest of the season if he remains in CF. I think that if he is the reason why he hasn't moved to LF then he needs an ego check. If management hasn't approached him about it, then maybe it's time. Even a few times per week would help. The guy had a mystery knee injury that held him out for weeks earlier this season, after he was supposed to take a day off. He isn't exactly Ripken or Gehrig and we have seen over the past few games how important his bat can be. It would be a shame to see him pull a hammy running for a blooper in left center. Then we would be forced to see if all those fables about The Great Denorfia would be true.

    3) Dunn: Dunn is what he is. Hits bombs, takes walks and strikes out a whole lot. Once we all face facts, it will be a lot less stressful the next time he whiffs with RISP. The shame of it all is if he hit for a higher average, he would be Pujols Jr, which would be great. But he is Adam Dunn, he of the 140 BBs, 180Ks and 45 HRs.

    4) Fielding: The infield is young! EdE and FeLo are very young and have great futures ahead of them. Obviously (hopefully?) they will get better, but let us enjoy their bats and sparkling plays for now. They will get better...trust me.

    5) Catching situation: No idea here...still gets me why we have all these guys.

    6) Rick White: Hopefully Mercker pushes this guy into the glue factory. If he doesn't, I'll probably lose it.

    7) MLB Draft: If they don't draft a top college pitcher and go after some bargain HS pitcher, I'll lose it more than if White sticks around for a few more weeks.

    8) Chris Denorfia: I love the Deno jokes, they crack me up. Though I think he brings more value to this team than Q does, jokes aside.

    That's it...thanks for listening.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 05-23-2006 at 11:31 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,640

    Re: Common topics on the board

    I agree with about everything you are saying except for 2 and 8.

    I don't like the idea of babying Griffey by playing him in a position he is not familiar with, with the idea it will be easier on his legs. If he is going to get injured running, it will happen on the basepaths or in left if it doesn't happen in center. As you said with Dunn, you just have to accept that Griffey is what he is, an aging veteran who will have his share of injuries. Hopefully, he can avoid the season ending injuries but the risk will never leave no matter where you put him. Giving him scheduled days off is the way to go as far as protecting him at this point. Again, I like the idea of trying him at first......but not mid-season.

    I don't want Denorfia up here unless he is playing everyday. Dropping McCracken and bringing him up to be a pinch hitter and rare spot starter does not help his development. He needs to play everyday and he will in Louisville, not with the Reds.

  4. #3
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Since I find myself repeating the same statements every day, I'm just going to post what my feelings about many of the arguments/discussions currently running rampant on the board and then, hopefully, I can get back to rooting on the team towards the playoffs. After reading one of the threads on the ORG board I can see where the never ending BS about the same subjects can get annoying. If you want to rename this thread "Steel Cage Battle Royal", we can all brawl in this thread about everything and anything regarding the Reds. The game threads used to be a lot better when they didn't turn into chat rooms...that was something that really made sense when I read it. Threads are what hey are...threads about the game. I think I was one of those violators, using the thread as my personal microphone. And the threads in Reds Live have sucked this week, though tonight's was a bit better. Here it goes:

    1) First and foremost, the bullpen: It is quite obvious that the BP is a disaster. Todd Coffey is our best reliever and his last two outings he was used to protect 4 and 5 run leads. Scary. Tonight I can see since he hadn't pitched since Friday. But Friday's appearance was completely unwarranted, especially since he had pitched a lot recently. That just shows the current state of the bullpen. Coffey throws a lot of multi-inning games and they better get him some help or else he will be very, very tired during the stretch run. It boggles my mind that our BP has had this many useless pitchers. How did Burns have a job? How does White still have one? Kriv has to get some help there or else it will be a long summer. Getting Willis wouldn't mean squat if we have RW coming in after him.

    2) Junior in CF: Again, a topic that has been beaten to death. I honestly can't see him being completely healthy for the rest of the season if he remains in CF. I think that if he is the reason why he hasn't moved to LF then he needs an ego check. If management hasn't approached him about it, then maybe it's time. Even a few times per week would help. The guy had a mystery knee injury that held him out for weeks earlier this season, after he was supposed to take a day off. He isn't exactly Ripken or Gehrig and we have seen over the past few games how important his bat can be. It would be a shame to see him pull a hammy running for a blooper in left center. Then we would be forced to see if all those fables about The Great Denorfia would be true.

    3) Dunn: Dunn is what he is. Hits bombs, takes walks and strikes out a whole lot. Once we all face facts, it will be a lot less stressful the next time he whiffs with RISP. The shame of it all is if he hit for a higher average, he would be Pujols Jr, which would be great. But he is Adam Dunn, he of the 140 BBs, 180Ks and 45 HRs.

    4) Fielding: The infield is young! EdE and FeLo are very young and have great futures ahead of them. Obviously (hopefully?) they will get better, but let us enjoy their bats and sparkling plays for now. They will get better...trust me.

    5) Catching situation: No idea here...still gets me why we have all these guys.

    6) Rick White: Hopefully Mercker pushes this guy into the glue factory. If he doesn't, I'll probably lose it.

    7) MLB Draft: If they don't draft a top college pitcher and go after some bargain HS pitcher, I'll lose it more than if White sticks around for a few more weeks.

    8) Chris Denorfia: I love the Deno jokes, they crack me up. Though I think he brings more value to this team than Q does, jokes aside.

    That's it...thanks for listening.
    Edabbs44,

    You have every right in the world to your opinion.
    You also have the rght to post your opinions.

    Other members of RedsZone have those same rights.


    If your opinion ever differs with another members opinion discuss and debate it.

    The main thing is use facts to back your argument and to always keep an open mind.

    We never know when we might learn something.

    Thats what's so great about RedsZone.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-24-2006 at 03:07 AM.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209

    Re: Common topics on the board

    um, could you repeat that
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

  6. #5
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,298

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I agree with about everything you are saying except for 2 and 8.

    I don't like the idea of babying Griffey by playing him in a position he is not familiar with, with the idea it will be easier on his legs. If he is going to get injured running, it will happen on the basepaths or in left if it doesn't happen in center. As you said with Dunn, you just have to accept that Griffey is what he is, an aging veteran who will have his share of injuries. Hopefully, he can avoid the season ending injuries but the risk will never leave no matter where you put him. Giving him scheduled days off is the way to go as far as protecting him at this point. Again, I like the idea of trying him at first......but not mid-season.

    I don't want Denorfia up here unless he is playing everyday. Dropping McCracken and bringing him up to be a pinch hitter and rare spot starter does not help his development. He needs to play everyday and he will in Louisville, not with the Reds.
    I see where you are coming from on those points, but I just won't be able to deal with another injury to Jr and my personal opinion is that CF will take a bigger toll on his legs than CF. Even having him play LF a few times per week would help his situation, IMO.
    Deno, on the other hand, I think should definitely be up with the big club full time. He isn't a prospect anymore and I don't think having him in AAA serves any purpose. He would be able to get enough ABs to keep him fresh and I think he would be great as a late inning pinch runner and defensive replacement. In the NL you need to have a deep bench with all the double switching and he would be great to put in LF for Dunn or CF for Grif in the 9th. Let's see what Cody Ross can bring to the table, but he is an unknown qty at this point and Q is just taking up space.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I agree with about everything you are saying except for 2 and 8.

    I don't like the idea of babying Griffey by playing him in a position he is not familiar with, with the idea it will be easier on his legs. If he is going to get injured running, it will happen on the basepaths or in left if it doesn't happen in center. As you said with Dunn, you just have to accept that Griffey is what he is, an aging veteran who will have his share of injuries. Hopefully, he can avoid the season ending injuries but the risk will never leave no matter where you put him. Giving him scheduled days off is the way to go as far as protecting him at this point. Again, I like the idea of trying him at first......but not mid-season.

    I don't want Denorfia up here unless he is playing everyday. Dropping McCracken and bringing him up to be a pinch hitter and rare spot starter does not help his development. He needs to play everyday and he will in Louisville, not with the Reds.
    Jr getting hurt in only part of the issue. The other issue is Jrs subpar range. Him moving to LF theoretically helps him and it also helps the team, if Dunn goes to first.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    Jr getting hurt in only part of the issue. The other issue is Jrs subpar range. Him moving to LF theoretically helps him and it also helps the team, if Dunn goes to first.
    now i atleast understand that argument, that he perhaps has lost a step or two. maybe, maybe not....but i think he can get hurt just as easily in LF as CF eric davis still got hurt all the time in LF
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cookeville, Tennessee
    Posts
    337

    Re: Common topics on the board

    I don't think that the bullpen is that bad. Rick White is horrible but other than that I have been pleased with what they are doing.

  10. #9
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,298

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by James B.
    I don't think that the bullpen is that bad. Rick White is horrible but other than that I have been pleased with what they are doing.
    When TC and DW are the only relievers allowed to pitch in the 8th and 9th innings (and sometimes 7th) when they have a lead, the BP needs help. Don't forget Burns has been released, White has been awful, Shack has been horrendous (except vs lefties) and Hammond was awful and is now good. He'll revert to somewhere in the middle. He isn't as good as he's been. And Belisle has been pretty bad as well. Who are you happy with?

  11. #10
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,640

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    Jr getting hurt in only part of the issue. The other issue is Jrs subpar range. Him moving to LF theoretically helps him and it also helps the team, if Dunn goes to first.
    His "lack of range" he makes up with his experience at his position. There is a lot more to playing the outfield than running. He may lack some of that "range" nowadays, but he is still the best center fielder on the team.

  12. #11
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,568

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo

    I don't want Denorfia up here unless he is playing everyday. Dropping McCracken and bringing him up to be a pinch hitter and rare spot starter does not help his development. He needs to play everyday and he will in Louisville, not with the Reds.
    Do you think Denorfia will ever be an everyday allstar caliber player? I tend to think he'll be more like Brady Clark as a Red.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  13. #12
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,640

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Do you think Denorfia will ever be an everyday allstar caliber player? I tend to think he'll be more like Brady Clark as a Red.
    I tend to think he will be a Brady Clark type player.......but a bit better.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,090

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Do you think Denorfia will ever be an everyday allstar caliber player? I tend to think he'll be more like Brady Clark as a Red.
    I'm hoping for the Brady Clark of last year. He should be average at everything but fielding should be a plus. Hopefully hit for .300 and OPS .750 or so. He has a VERY level swing, which is the main difference from him and BC. Lots of good line drives off of Deno's bat. I wouldn't mind him up here even if on the bench. He will hit anywhere, even if he doesn't get 500 AB's a season. IMO, he has reached his peak no matter how much longer he is in AAA, and I don't think riding pine will effect him too much. Who knows though.

  15. #14
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,705

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I tend to think he will be a Brady Clark type player.......but a bit better.
    /\ Agreed and I'll take that, I like that he draws walks and can hit and play good D, allstar? they get expensive

    SS Lopez
    CF Deno
    LF JR
    1B Dunn
    RF Kearns
    3B EE
    2B Phillips
    C The 3 headed monster

    Such a lineup gives me giggles
    Go Gators!

  16. #15
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Common topics on the board

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    /\ Agreed and I'll take that, I like that he draws walks and can hit and play good D, allstar? they get expensive

    SS Lopez
    CF Deno
    LF JR
    1B Dunn
    RF Kearns
    3B EE
    2B Phillips
    C The 3 headed monster

    Such a lineup gives me giggles

    Like a little schoolgirl...

    Swap Lopez and Phillips' positions, and you had me at hello...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25