Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teams looking at Dave Williams!

Teams looking at Dave Williams!

Saw on cbssportsline that the mets and brewers are looking at trying to acquire him. Based on the remainder of his salary and his dismal performance I know we aint gonna get a whole lot in return. So if I'm Krivsky here's my offer:

1)reds trade Dave Williams to the Mets for 28yr old reliever Heath Bell who's in AAA at the moment. Williams moves into the 5th spot in the Mets rotation and Bell takes the spot of Rick White.

2) Reds trade Williams to the Brewers for 25yr old RHP Chris Demaria who has bounced back and forth between AAA and the Brewers. Demaria then joins our AAA staff and maybe gets a shot at middle relief or 5th starter in Sept.

IMHO I would rather have Bell from the Mets, the Mets seem to not have high regards for him and are in desperate need of a starter, and he is relatively cheap for them, and Bell would give us a good 6-7th inning guy to team up with Coffey and allow us to cut bait on Rick White. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Teams looking at Dave Williams!

i will be estatic, if we just give him away, and not have to pay his salary

Anybody named Heath has to have talent.......
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I hope we trade Williams, but don't face him afterwards. He's exactly the kind of pitcher (left handed junk thrower) that gives us trouble.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I hope he's in drag
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

So, just what exactly did happen to Dave Williams?

When the Reds got him, I thought he would be a fairly decent #4 starter. But by all appearances and observations, his velocity and stuff have been sub-par since ST.

Was DanO just fleeced on the deal and Williams' talent this year is what it was last year and he just isn't very good?

Or did something happen to him (injury, lack of conditioning, dog died, etc.) during the off-season?

The fact that they DFA'ed him seems to indicate #1. I would think if he had some kind of injury or conditioning/strength problem, they would have optioned him to AAA and get him back into MLB-ready shape.

Pay attention to the open sky

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    The fact that they DFA'ed him seems to indicate #1. I would think if he had some kind of injury or conditioning/strength problem, they would have optioned him to AAA and get him back into MLB-ready shape.
    I think they can still do that. IIRC D'angelo Jimenex was DFA'd first before being shipped off to Chattanooga.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    So, just what exactly did happen to Dave Williams?

When the Reds got him, I thought he would be a fairly decent #4 starter. But by all appearances and observations, his velocity and stuff have been sub-par since ST.

Was DanO just fleeced on the deal and Williams' talent this year is what it was last year and he just isn't very good?

Or did something happen to him (injury, lack of conditioning, dog died, etc.) during the off-season?

Dan O'Brien was clueless as a GM.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty

Dan O'Brien was clueless as a GM.
    Given Dan O's track record (Milton, Ortiz) I'd say a good old fashioned fleecing is the most likely scenario. Although it does make me wonder, I mean Williams has never been good but he was never THIS bad. Seems to have hit an all time low in the velocity department and that usually means an injury but again, Dan O has a history of collecting damaged goods.

Williams was banged up (again) at the end of the 2005 season. On top of that, he never had anything more than borderline stuff to begin with.

When the Reds traded for him I thought the club was jumping into a perfect of bad pitching and Williams fully lived up to that profile. Basically he lost a little bit off the little bit he had (which wasn't going to be enough) and now he's an arsonist.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Williams was banged up (again) at the end of the 2005 season. On top of that, he never had anything more than borderline stuff to begin with.

When the Reds traded for him I thought the club was jumping into a perfect of bad pitching and Williams fully lived up to that profile. Basically he lost a little bit off the little bit he had (which wasn't going to be enough) and now he's an arsonist.
    also Pittsburgh had no need for Dave Williams after 2005. They have a lot of young guys they were going to go with(Duke, Maholm, Snell) and Williams was a useless spare part. I truly hope DanO didn't pass on the chance to acquire a younger guy because he really wanted Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    also Pittsburgh had no need for Dave Williams after 2005. They have a lot of young guys they were going to go with(Duke, Maholm, Snell) and Williams was a useless spare part. I truly hope DanO didn't pass on the chance to acquire a younger guy because he really wanted Williams.
    You never know. Man do I wish he'd have insisted on Gorzelanny though.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    You never know. Man do I wish he'd have insisted on Gorzelanny though.
    Heck, I would have settled for Snell who I think could turn into a very good reliever. Williams was flotsam, thats why the Rats were more than happy to unload him.

Quote Originally Posted by butlerbulldogs
    i will be estatic, if we just give him away, and not have to pay his salary
    That's exactly how I felt about Casey and his $8,500,000 salary. I don't think Williams $1,400,000 will buy the Reds much, however.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Anyone find it ironic that Milwaukee has interest in him? DanO must really love this guy. It's bordering on "man crush" territory.

Turn Off Ads?