Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Joe Girardi's actions toward Scott Olsen in the dugout tonight?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Thoughts on Joe Girardi's actions toward Scott Olsen in the dugout tonight?

Anybody see that?

Your thoughts?

Old School psychology or just showing his guy up?

note to mod's - I mistitled this thread... it happened in the DUGOUT - not the pen
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Thoughts on Joe Girardi's actions toward Scott Olsen in the bullpen tonight?

What happened?

Re: Thoughts on Joe Girardi's actions toward Scott Olsen in the bullpen tonight?

I didnt see what happened, but heres a clipping from the Marlins website:
    Left-hander Scott Olsen, sporting a shiner from a recent tussle with fellow pitcher Randy Messenger, was spared the loss. He went five innings, allowing six hits, a walk and four runs.

Girardi grew irate with him when he came to the dugout at the end of the third inning. He had given up two two-out runs in the second inning after appearing as if he might get out of a jam, and then was victimized by a Michael Barrett home run.

"What he said is between us," Olsen said. "But it's safe to say it was a little bit about focus."

Girardi said Olsen was a pitch or two from keeping the Cubs from scoring in that inning.

"But overall, he stayed away from a big inning and kept us in the game," the manager said.

Olsen said he was "three pitches" from pitching the type of game that would have been successful.
    lol, did he get in a fight with another pitcher on his team sometime this week?

Girardi was on Baseball Tonight and they asked him about it. He said he pulled him aside because he felt he wasn't focused on the mound and that he was too good of a pitcher to lose focus and do poorly. I guess the pitcher got mad because he was only given 7 warm up pitches instead of the normal 8 and he let it affect his performance that inning. Girardi said with some players you just have to be a little physical like that to grab their attention.

I think that Girardi was just helping the kid. He seems old school and I have no doubt that back a few decades ago something like this would have been common place.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    What happened?
    Girardi grabbed him by the collar at one end of the dugout, in full view of the cameras, and pulled him the entire length of the dugout into the tunnel (still in view of the cameras) where he chewed him out.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Re: Thoughts on Joe Girardi's actions toward Scott Olsen in the dugout tonight?

It was a thing of beauty IMO. Girardi is going all in [to steal a poker term] and is either going to build a great team in Florida, or flame out quickly. He's not riding the fence.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Girardi grabbed him by the collar at one end of the dugout, in full view of the cameras, and pulled him the entire length of the dugout into the tunnel (still in view of the cameras) where he chewed him out.
    Sheesh...Girardi has got to get a grip! No one expects him to bring home a pennant.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Man Pills

I don't have a problem with stuff like what Girardi did. Though I have a real problem with calling it "old school." Bobby Cox does stuff like that all the time, without the physical, scruff of the neck stuff. But he gets in young pitchers' faces all the time. Mean and nasty, the whole bit.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    He shouldn't touch him.

Period.

BTW Mr Tuber did the same thing to me at Vaughn Elementary back in 6th grade, I do not relish the memory.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I caught the last half-inning of that game last night, without knowing this had happened. I thought the Marlins were overly enthusiastic about the win, even though it was a come-from-behind thing. Makes me wonder if Girardi has them wound up too tight.

Nothing wrong with a little fire and refuse-to-lose kind of attitude IMHO. Just look at the job Leyland is doing with Detroit.

But Girardi probably ought to keep it just verbal. Physical stuff can get out of hand quickly.

Pay attention to the open sky

If Olsen already got into a fight with another pitcher this season, it sounds like he has bigger problems than focusing while he's pitching.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Side track: which pitcher did Frank Robinson grab and scold many years ago -- COMING OFF THE MOUND in front of a stadium full of people? Or maybe a stadium half-full of people?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I don't know if manhandling him is appropriate, but sending the message to your team that losing is not acceptable and that they need to maintain focus is a good thing. The Marlins aren't going to get any better by slacking off, accepting losses, and doing less than their best. You have to develop the habits that lead to winning before you're able to do so
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

"Olsen said he was "three pitches" from pitching the type of game that would have been successful."

A fastball, curve and slider, perhaps?

Rem

Turn Off Ads?