Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Comfortable with Claussen? / Anybody Disappointed With Brandon Claussen?

Merged: Comfortable with Claussen? / Anybody Disappointed With Brandon Claussen?

I like others on here have stated thinks tonights game would be huge to get a sweep. Claussen is on the mound tonight and I always feel really comfortable with Claussen on the mound. Something about the way he pitches just makes feel that he is going to make the other team earn what ever they get. Even though his stats are middle of the road. I was curious what everyone elses feelings are on the current pitchers. Im not talking about stats just the feeling you have right before the game. You know that sick feeling you use to get before Jimmy Haynes starts. Well here is my order.

1)Harang- looks like he has really figured it out, never gets wild
    2)Claussen
    3)Arroyo- I know most probably have him higher but I keep thinking that as the teams see his breaking balls more the will figure him out. Even though in his second starts he has been even tougher against hitters
    4)Ramirez- Great composure, love how good he is at fielding his position
    5)Milton- The only guy I do not feel comfortable with at all. Too many fly balls too pitch at gabp.

Considering I feel comfortable with 4 out of 5 now that williams is gone that is a huge upgrade from a couple years ago when Paul Wilson was the only guy I looked forward to. Interested to see others rankings

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Comfortable with Claussen?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA
    I like others on here have stated thinks tonights game would be huge to get a sweep. Claussen is on the mound tonight and I always feel really comfortable with Claussen on the mound. Something about the way he pitches just makes feel that he is going to make the other team earn what ever they get. Even though his stats are middle of the road. I was curious what everyone elses feelings are on the current pitchers. Im not talking about stats just the feeling you have right before the game. You know that sick feeling you use to get before Jimmy Haynes starts. Well here is my order.

1)Harang- looks like he has really figured it out, never gets wild
    2)Claussen
    3)Arroyo- I know most probably have him higher but I keep thinking that as the teams see his breaking balls more the will figure him out. Even though in his second starts he has been even tougher against hitters
    4)Ramirez- Great composure, love how good he is at fielding his position
    5)Milton- The only guy I do not feel comfortable with at all. Too many fly balls too pitch at gabp.

Considering I feel comfortable with 4 out of 5 now that williams is gone that is a huge upgrade from a couple years ago when Paul Wilson was the only guy I looked forward to. Interested to see others rankings
    I agree partially. I have much more faith in the staff too. However, I would put Arroyo ahead of Harang, just barely. Harang has had a couple of bad starts where Arroyo has had only one bad start, if you can even call it that. I think they're both great.

We differ on Claussen though. Claussen is a roller coaster. One decent start, one great, one horrible, one decent, great, horrible. I wish he'd just pitch decent most of the time. I think he'll get better, but I definitely don't feel comfortable with him out there. In most games he pitches well only to allow one 'big' inning. It happens way too much. Plus tonight he goes against the Brewers...remember last time he pitched against them? Home run derby. Plus his career against the Brewers is brutal:

"Claussen vs. the Brewers: In an April 22 start at Miller Park, Claussen allowed nine earned runs on eight hits - four of those home runs - over three innings. He is 1-5 with an 8.27 ERA in nine career starts against Milwaukee." - The Cincinnati Enquirer

So, I'm not comfortable with Claussen. Milton, no way. Ramirez....almost a yes. I like him.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Claussen still struggles with his command at times, but I think he has a tremendous upside and the Reds should be patient with him. I also am confident for tonight's game, but also remember some awful games Claussen has had against the Brewers.

I don't know if "comfortable" is exactly the word i would use to describe how i feel when claussen is on the mound. but like others have said i think he can be a solid consistent pitcher hopefully sooner rather than later (or never).

I had hoped Claussen would have taken that mysterious "next step" this year. Herrang seems to have taken it, but Claussen hasn't. He may even have taken a step backwards. His controll this year seems to be a real issue for him (that is my perception, I haven't looked at any stats). It seems like he is going deep in the count and getting behind in the count frequently. He's been able to get away with it some nights (once against the Marlins his pitching line was good but all night he was 3-2, 2-2, 3-1) while other nights it has cost him.

He get's himself in a hole then the batter gets the better of him. Or he just doesn't locate his pitch and it becomes a long-ball. Or he is able to pull off decent numbers but is out of the game by the 5th. With the state of our bullpen this year, that's not something you want to see happen often.

I think he can be great, but he needs to figure out his controll issues or he'll continue to be "roller coaster man".

Herrang and Aurroyo are fine. Solid guys that you can count on. Occasonal tough games, but they are "thinking pitchers" and battle through, even when they don't have there best stuff.

I like the Lizzard. It's too early to tell but it does seem to have pulled himself together this year (unlike last year where he showed signs of promise then impoded). If he is pitching like this to the AS break and beyond then we may have found a good #3/#4 guy. I think him being successfull is one of the key's to the success of the staff.

Milton is the other Key. Lifetime he's nothing but decent. 2005 - the numbers make you want to barf. I like his work ethic and that he goes out night after night without complaint or excuse...but that doesn't win you any games. He put up 2 strong outings (I saw one at GABP and he was fooling the batters all night long) but that's a very small sampling. He showed signs of life last year too. If he can put up decent numbers, and keep us in games most of the time, and make it beyond the 5th with regularlity, we'll be fine. If he regesses into 2005 Milton we are in a heap of big doo doo. Then BC and The Kriv will have be on the phones to anybody and everybody trying to move him because they don't want to eat the contract I refer to as "DanO's shame".

Wilson...he's dissapeared. My guess is he's done. Don't know about his contract...will be be eating it?

Who's that other broken down guy DanO brought to town. Grant Balfour or something? He's the guy that was so injured that it would be until after the AS break before he could pitch. It's a long shot but maybe he could be a middle reliever type once he returns? I don't know squat about him and haven't taken the time to look. May have to do that later today.

At times it is easy to tell with Claussen on what kind of night he is going to have. If he is hitting the outside corner with his fastball and locating his changeup, most of the time things will be looking good for the game. When Claussen is good, he's great, but when he's bad.....it might be best to turn the channel, because things like Milwaukee's 5 HR's in an inning are possible.

I really like how Ramirez might not have his best stuff on a given night (last night), but still find a way to grind it out. It's too bad he hasn't had any run support until last night nor defense.

Harang and Arroyo......there's not much to say. They are holding down this staff when things aren't going so well.

Milton, I believe, is the key to this entire season. If we can squeeze 10-12 wins out of him, then I think this team can make a run at the wildcard. We need Milton to be healthy and pitch like he did in his Minnesota years.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Eliminate the disastrous April 22 start against Milwaukee, and Claussen would have an ERA right around 3.65. In other words, while he doesn't have Harang's ability to KO batters or Arroyo's dominance, Claussen has emerged as a decent, reliable pitcher for us. Give him a little run support, and he'll win more often than not.

Redseer is right. We can stay in the hunt for the wildcard if Milton can turn things around. Vast improvement isn't necessary from him and also unlikely. But instead of his 2005 record of 8-15, 6.47 ERA, it would be ideal if he could push closer to his 2004 ERA of 4.75, and perhaps win 10-12. Could happen. Or then again...

I think Milty is well done toast. He's done. Finished.

If he finishes with an ERA below 5.25, I'll eat a dozen of his worthless baseball cards!

Claussen. Barely serviceable. He needs to improve a lot to be a consistent MLB pitcher. His pickles are pretty good though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    I like the Lizzard. It's too early to tell but it does seem to have pulled himself together this year (unlike last year where he showed signs of promise then impoded). If he is pitching like this to the AS break and beyond then we may have found a good #3/#4 guy. I think him being successfull is one of the key's to the success of the staff.

Who's that other broken down guy DanO brought to town. Grant Balfour or something? He's the guy that was so injured that it would be until after the AS break before he could pitch. It's a long shot but maybe he could be a middle reliever type once he returns? I don't know squat about him and haven't taken the time to look. May have to do that later today.

That would be Lizard...the guy you liked.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Claussen strikes me a classic dependable back of the rotation guy. He's not much of a threat to shut the other guys down, but he's not going to completely implode on you either. On a good day you'll get 7 IP, 2 ER. On a bad day you'll get 5 IP, 5 ER.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Watch tonight, historically the Brewers have lit him up.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Watch tonight, historically the Brewers have lit him up.

Trying to pull off your best Madam Chloe routine flyer??? He's been fairly bad so far tonight.

This is just one of those nights where a pitcher needs to focus on locating his pitches. Claussen is not the type of pitcher who can bring his "B" stuff and still shut down the opposing team. Runs might be needed tonight, and I mean 7+, probably. With Claussen pitching the way he is and probably no Coffey out of the bullpen, I don't like the outlook of this game.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Sometimes I wonder if he would be more effective in the bullpen for one to three innings instead of in the starting role.

got alil captain in u?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Sometimes I wonder if he would be more effective in the bullpen for one to three innings instead of in the starting role.
    me 2 but he's inconsistent at starting what would he be like in the pen

Turn Off Ads?