Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips in the Two Hole

Phillips in the Two Hole

I know everything looks better when you score 22 runs in two games, but I think I like BP hitting #2.

Here's my logic: he's clearly not a patience-at-the-plate, walks kinda guy. Seems to do better hitting early in the count. Now, with Jr. and Aurilia back and hitting 3-4, Phillips should get pitches to hit in the 2 hole.

Plus, he's a capable bunter, keeps good speed near the top of the lineup and seems to handle the bat decently.

Thoughts?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips in the Two Hole

It might not be a horrible fit. As you mentioned, he's perfectly capable of moving a runner over if need be. He also sees pleanty of nice pitches with Griffey hitting behind him.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I'd say he looks good at #2 when he's "on", which he clearly is right now. But he won't look nearly as good there when he tanks for a couple of weeks and his OBP plummets. He's a very streaky hitter--at least, he has been thus far.

But it's clearly working now, so I say stay with it as long as you can. His speed is a definite plus, 10 for 10 in the SB category now.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I'd rather see EE get the extra at bat and see more pitches and reach base more often. That said, Phillips is a pretty good second choice.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the way he hit line drives to opposite field the past two games. If he can keep that up, he'd be a decent 2-hitter.

However, to be a very good 2-hitter, he needs to take more pitches and give the leadoff hitter a better chance to steal. There's also that "walk allergy" that he needs to fix. I'd rather have Freel leading off and Lopez hitting second -- that's the Reds' best lineup. And Edwin is still a better option than Phillips.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Personally, Freel is not in the Reds best lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Personally, Freel is not in the Reds best lineup.
    I'm tending to agree.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I'm tending to agree.
    I disagree stongly. Even with his .240 BA, Freel is still on base more often than Phillips. The guy works the count like crazy, draws a ton of walks, and is a high-percentage base stealer. What more do you want from a leadoff hitter? With Freel and Lopez hitting 1-2, the table is almost always set for Griffey, Dunn, Kearns, and Encarnacion.

Phillips isn't on base enough to warrant a permanent spot in the 2-hole.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Freel's OBP in May: .250, Walks in May: 3

I'd like to know how many times in May he swung at 1st pitches as well.

Freel's solid coming off the bench and maybe starting three times a week, but I don't believe he can hold up playing every day. There's a reason he's been a career utility guy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Im more and more convinced Freel is nothing more than fools gold. Very nice from a distance but the more you look, the more flawed he is.

Good bench guy though.

I don't really know for sure. I like Phillip up there while he's hot, but I also think he's done a good job in the 7-8 spot knocking in everyone in front of him before we get to the pitchers spot. The big thing is I'm sold on him starting every day. He can pick it and what he can do at the plate is just a super bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Freel's OBP in May: .250, Walks in May: 3

I'd like to know how many times in May he swung at 1st pitches as well.
    So you're going to ignore the previous three years based on three bad weeks in May?

OK. Let me cherry-pick some stats, too.

Freel's OBP in April: .434 Walks in April: 20.

Phillips' OBP in May: .308 Walks in May 3.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Im more and more convinced Freel is nothing more than fools gold. Very nice from a distance but the more you look, the more flawed he is.

Good bench guy though.
    Good analogy. I was on the Freel bandwagon for a long time and then he showed that the Reds were using him in the correct role. Maybe if something positive come from Junior's latest injury, it's the fact that the entire world who pays attention knows Freel can't be succesful offensively in an every day role.

I just don't like Freel as an everyday player. I think he wears out when he plays every day.

As for Phillips in the #2 hole? I'm not sure that's a very good idea. I like him down at the bottom of the order myself.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?