Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Phillips in the Two Hole

Re: Phillips in the Two Hole

With everything I've said, if Freel is in CF I feel differently about him playing everyday.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I just can't believe how quickly you're willing to close the book on Freel. That seems very bizarre.

And I guarantee you wouldn't have said it three weeks ago.
    Well, like Al Smith said...let's look at the record.

I like Freel. But I also like Jimenez at one point (because of the same things). On base skills are great...but once they come at you and figure out you can't hit...you're doomed. Freel can't hit.

Check his minor league record. Is there anything there that supports him even being in the big leagues? Let's face it. We were all won over by his hustle and electricity on the bases. The OBP and plate patience are great.
    The OPS is not. And even his baserunning % isn't all that.

You want to trade him. I'm for it.
    You want to keep him around to hit those lefties we always have trouble with? Yep.

Don't play him everyday. He is still a good backup. He doesn't have the game to be a starter.

my 2 cents.
    Last edited by oneupper; 05-24-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Ryan Freel

Similar Batters through Age 29
    Compare Stats

1. Kevin Sefcik (959)
    2. Kevin Jordan (953)
    3. Billy Taylor (952)
    4. Jack Gleason (948)
    5. Clarence Huber (948)
    6. Al Spangler (947)
    7. Pinky May (946)
    8. Earl Smith (944)
    9. F.P. Santangelo (944)
    10. Al Wickland (944)

Who?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Jackie Gleason... he was funny.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

My ideal lineup would be ...

1. Freel
    2. Phillips
    3. Lopez
    4. Griffey
    5. Kearns
    6. Dunn
    7. Encarnacion
    8. Catcher du jour
    9. Pitcher du jour

If Aurillia could catch... maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'll repeat for the 90th time: Freel put up his best numbers in the season in which he played every day.

He's not getting the playing time he should and deserves to be traded to a team that can use him. And I think he'd have a number of suitors: both stats guys like Beane and whoever that putz is in LA(NL) who likes to talk about scrappiness and swinging the bat.

Outside of Dunn, there are few players who have served this team more admirably than Freel the last several years on offense. Maybe it's time to cut ties with Freel, but I wouldn't confuse Freel's output with what Phillips' output will look like if he gets a full season of ABs because Phillips won't touch Freel's OBP of the last two seasons.
    He can't play everyday when he is hurt!!!! This is driving me crazy. He has a pulled groin so he hasn't played a lot the last two weeks. What is so wrong with that? Not only that, he completely hit a wall about 4 weeks into the season and just flat out stopped hitting and getting on base bc he was dead. He needs days off guys. Please understand this. And he is nursing an injury!

He played almost a full month of all-out ball in april and is now slugging .226 in may. He took 2 days off last week then hit well when he came back. I think he needs that rest.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 05-24-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    If Aurillia could catch... maybe.
    What this hang-up with Aurillia?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    What this hang-up with Aurillia?
    If my choice is between playing Aurilia and Freel, I'm playing Aurillia.

If my choice is between playing Aurilia and Freel, I'm playing Aurillia.
    I'm glad you're not running the Reds, then.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Well, like Al Smith said...let's look at the record.

I like Freel. But I also like Jimenez at one point (because of the same things). On base skills are great...but once they come at you and figure out you can't hit...you're doomed. Freel can't hit.

Check his minor league record. Is there anything there that supports him even being in the big leagues? Let's face it. We were all won over by his hustle and electricity on the bases. The OBP and plate patience are great.
    The OPS is not. And even his baserunning % isn't all that.

You want to trade him. I'm for it.
    You want to keep him around to hit those lefties we always have trouble with? Yep.

Don't play him everyday. He is still a good backup. He doesn't have the game to be a starter.

my 2 cents.
    Why check his minor league record? He hasn't played in the minors in 4 years.

Why not look at the major league stats he's compiled since then? His record pretty much speaks for itself.

Freel is a .270 hitter with no power, great speed, and mad OB skills. Juan Pierre with a much better OBP.

You'd be crazy not to want that at the top of the lineup.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'm glad you're not running the Reds, then.
    You've got me there. But since Aurillia's come back from the DL, the people who are running the Reds seem to be agreeing with me.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Why check his minor league record? He hasn't played in the minors in 4 years.

Why not look at the major league stats he's compiled since then? His record pretty much speaks for itself.

Freel is a .270 hitter with no power, great speed, and mad OB skills. Juan Pierre with a much better OBP.

You'd be crazy not to want that at the top of the lineup.
    Call me crazy then...just think we can do better.

The stats you are citing are Freel 2004/05, I see it going downhill from there.

I prefer a guy with a .350 OBP and a .800 OPS over guy with a .370 OBP adn a .650 OPS. Anywhere in the lineup.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

As long as he's hot leave him there, he cools off like he did after his first hot streak then move him down..fast.
    Go Gators!

You've got me there. But since Aurillia's come back from the DL, the people who are running the Reds seem to be agreeing with me.
    That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Rich is a nice backup, not a cleanup hitter and should never start over a healthy Freel.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?