Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Kearns play 1B?

Could Kearns play 1B?

All this talk about Griffey ain't what he used to be in CF, and we need to move him to left and move Dunn to 1B to make room for Freel/Deno in CF.

But of course, talk is that Griffey doesn't wanna play 1B because he is concerned that the stops and starts will hurt the hammy more. And of course, the talk is that Dunn either stinks at 1B or doesn't wanna play there. So Griff can't move to left b/c Dunn doesn't wanna move to 1B.

What if we move Kearns to 1B? He's not a small guy either (6'3" I think). I don't see any fielding statistics for him in the majors except in the OF, but tell me he didn't play 1B at some point. Downside is that he's our only above-average OF right now, but Griff maybe would be an above-average RF and we improve the CF defense as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could Kearns play 1B?

There is no reason to move a good RF with a great arm to 1b. We really have no idea what goes on with the supposed position switching other than scuttlebutt

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'd do it if we had an Pujols/Berkman type OF sitting on the bench and no other alternative, but not to make room for Freel, Ross or Denorfia.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Why move the teams best defensive OF to 1B?
    School's out. What did you expect?

The team is better with Freel in the lineup, especially when he's hot like he was in April.

Despite Dunn's grousing, he should be the team's 1B. From what I've seen, he does a much better job of picking up throws in the dirt than Aurilia.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Why move the teams best defensive OF to 1B?
    Agreed...Kearns' arm is a great asset in RF.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The team is better with Freel in the lineup, especially when he's hot like he was in April.

Despite Dunn's grousing, he should be the team's 1B. From what I've seen, he does a much better job of picking up throws in the dirt than Aurilia.
    I agree. Kearns is the one good defensive player the Reds have in the outfield.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This team has done quite well the past two games without Freel in the lineup. The current lineup being used with Lopez leading off and Freel hitting second is really working. Freel needs to stay in his utility role in my opinion.

Did anyone watch the few games that Dunn played first? Not very pretty. The infield is already kinda weak defensively, the answer is not to add the worst defender on the team to it.

Two games? Seriously?

The team was excellent with Freel hitting leadoff the entire month of April.

I've watched Aurilia at 1B, and he hasn't shown much ability to pick up errant throws. He can field grounders fine, but a 1B has to be a good receiver, and Aurilia hasn't shown me anything in that department.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    This team has done quite well the past two games without Freel in the lineup.
    They've also won a few games in September using a AAA lineup. What's your point?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

As usual Ryan Freel once again showed he is not a full time regular . After a great start he wore down is April he was hitting over .300 with 8 steals early then after playing everyday slumped badly to .240 with 11 steals.

You do not bench Phillips hitting .308 with a team leading 31 rb's , 9 for 9 in steals and a superior glove to play Ryan Freel.

Freel is what he is a part time player to add spark but if he plays more than 10-15 days in a row his short comings are exposed quickly. Keep Ryan as the key reserve, if he gripes deal him.

Two games? Seriously?

The team was excellent with Freel hitting leadoff the entire month of April.

I've watched Aurilia at 1B, and he hasn't shown much ability to pick up errant throws. He can field grounders fine, but a 1B has to be a good receiver, and Aurilia hasn't shown me anything in that department.
    Uhhh....yeah again.

All I saw in the last two games was two hitters hitting first and second manufacturing runs and playing smart baseball. The offense is suddenly scoring runs again. Also, none of the bonehead baserunning mistakes that Freel has a habit of making. Plus, if there are guys on base, Lopez and Phillips are actually capable of hitting them in. I'm not here to bash Freel, but there's a reason why the Reds have always considered him a good utility player.

Dunn is a mediocre defender wherever you put him, there is no way he would be a better first baseman than Aurilia.

Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    They've also won a few games in September using a AAA lineup. What's your point?
    What's yours?

Instead of sarcasm, why not just say why you disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Uhhh....yeah again.

All I saw in the last two games was two hitters hitting first and second manufacturing runs and playing smart baseball. The offense is suddenly scoring runs again. Also, none of the bonehead baserunning mistakes that Freel has a habit of making. Plus, if there are guys on base, Lopez and Phillips are actually capable of hitting them in. I'm not here to bash Freel, but there's a reason why the Reds have always considered him a good utility player.

Dunn is a mediocre defender wherever you put him, there is no way he would be a better first baseman than Aurilia.

Are you serious?
    If you plan to make judgements based on two games, I can't help you. You're ignoring the entire month of April in favor of two games.

This is why I trust stats a lot more than what some guy thinks he saw over two games.

As for Aurilia at 1B, he's fine at fielding grounders. What he doesn't do well is stretch and pick up errant throws, at least IMO. Dunn does a decent job of that at 1B. And since that's the first baseman's primary role (catching errant throws), I'd rather have Dunn than Aurilia.

If you plan to make judgements based on two games, I can't help you. You're ignoring the entire month of April in favor of two games.

This is why I trust stats a lot more than what some guy thinks he saw over two games.
    I didn't "think" I saw anything. I did see what Lopez and Phillips bring to the table the past two games when they are hitting one and two. I don't think I'm the only one who saw it. And please, I don't want your help.

As far as Freel goes, his April numbers were inflated due to the first two weeks of the season when he was hitting above himself. After that second week, his numbers and OBP has been steadily declining. I trust stats myself, and those tell me something.

Turn Off Ads?