Turn Off Ads?

Thread: getting the call for your major league debut

getting the call for your major league debut

St. Paul youth Jack Hannahan of the Tigers just got called up to the majors and his parents' pride (wonderful neighbors of mine) shows through in this piece. I thought I'd share the article to see the human side of this young man's accomplishment.

Tigers delight Hannahan family
    BY CHARLEY WALTERS
    Pioneer Press
    Jack Hannahan was fishing Tuesday morning in Toledo, Ohio. He was in Toledo because he was an infielder for the Detroit Tigers' Class AAA Mud Hens baseball team. He didn't have his cell phone with him at the lake.

Back in St. Paul's Highland Park, a Tigers official telephoned Hannahan's parents, trying to reach their son. Jack's mother, Annie, answered the phone.

"They said there was nothing wrong, but they were looking for Jack," Annie said. "They wouldn't say why. I said, 'What do you mean nothing's wrong? What's wrong?' I asked again, 'What's wrong?' They said nothing was wrong, and that I probably would be hearing from Jack today."

Jack called his mother within 15 minutes.

"Have you talked to Dad or (brother) Buzz, Mom?" Jack asked.

Annie said, "No, but the man from the Detroit Tigers kept saying they were trying to reach you and that nothing's wrong. So what's wrong?"

Jack said, "Mom, I made it to the bigs. I've got to get packed."

Annie, a deeply religious person, fell to her knees.

"I said, 'Thank you, Lord,' and I cried."

Then Annie went to Mass at nearby Lumen Christi Church, where she joined her mother (Helen Bisanz, 86), who also cried tears of joy when she heard the Tigers had called up Jack.

Helen's late husband, Leonard, had declined an invitation to try out for the Cleveland Indians out of Cretin High School in order to attend the College of St. Thomas. Upon college graduation, he became a Navy pilot and never played baseball professionally.

"Mom loves baseball," Annie said.

For Annie, she said, Tuesday was bittersweet. Sweet because one son, 26, was going to the major leagues after six years in the minors; bitter because another son, Buzz, 29, in his ninth minor league season, had his season ended because of a shoulder injury while playing in Bridgeport, Conn., in the independent Atlantic League.

"Buzz needs surgery," Annie said. "Different ends of the spectrum for the boys. I said prayers of thanks for Jack's going to the big leagues, and I prayed for Buzz's shoulder."

Hannahan's opening line to his father, John, during a telephone call Tuesday to tell him he had been promoted from the Toledo Mud Hens to the Detroit Tigers: "Hey, Dad, would you like to talk to somebody on his way to the major leagues?"

Jack Hannahan graduated from Cretin-Derham Hall in 2001, then starred for the Gophers before accepting a $480,000 bonus after his junior season as the Tigers' third-round draft pick. As a utility infielder for the Mud Hens, he was hitting .282 with four home runs and 23 RBIs in 38 games before his promotion to the first-place Tigers.

Hannahan becomes the third Cretin/Cretin-Derham Hall alumni to make it to the major leagues, joining Paul Molitor and Joe Mauer.
    Last edited by Betterread; 05-24-2006 at 02:06 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Turn Off Ads?