Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great bass lines

Hybrid View

Man Pills

Great bass lines

It just occurred to me as I was driving in to work today that the bass line to "Sympathy for the Devil" is, while not terribly complicated, one of the greatest bass lines; that song would really be totally pointless without it. Simple, insinuating, sensual, sloppy--amazing.

Another simple but ingenious bass line: "Once in a Lifetime" Talking Heads

What are some others? (And please, no bass solos--maybe in another thread)

Re: Great bass lines

The Punk And The Godfather -The Who
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    The Punk And The Godfather -The Who
    Hell, can I just go ahead and nominate the entire Quadrophenia album?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    That has been in my top 5 for 32 years now...

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I won't argue.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

A lot of cool bass lines get sampled and used elsewhere, sometimes without proper credit.

"Under Pressure" by Queen - wasn't this used in some sort of "rap" song back in 1990? I used to know, but I killed that part of my brain with an ice pick. Hmmmm...ice? Flavored ice? VANILLA ICE! Crap, I remembered. Where's that ice pick.

"Peace Sells" by Megadeth - used as the lead-in for MTV news for a number of years.

"Super Bon Bon" by Soul Coughing - my all-time favorite bass line. You might have heard this in a Heinekin commercial.

"Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground. Shockingly, a hip-hop song with an ORIGINAL bass line. Classic.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-24-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool

"Peace Sells" by Megadeth - used as the lead-in for MTV news for a number of years.

Saw them on this tour in my last year as an undergrad. The left side of the mechanical "Eddie" came loose from its moorings above the stage and nearly struck the drummer. But they performed a note-perfect "Peace Sells" anyway. Because they're Megadeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Saw them on this tour in my last year as an undergrad. The left side of the mechanical "Eddie" came loose from its moorings above the stage and nearly struck the drummer. But they performed a note-perfect "Peace Sells" anyway. Because they're Megadeth.
    I think the last time I heard/saw anything from Megadeth it was the video for "Go To Hell" from the "Bill and Ted Go To Hell" soundtrack.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Eddie would be the mascot for Iron Maiden! Megadeth's mascot is Vic Rattlehead.

How about the Red Hot Chili Pepper's version of "Higher Ground"... Flea's starting bass line and bass part throughout is great work.

The band Tool has some great bass lines in a few of their songs too.

Metallica's Cliff Burton.... start of "For Whom The Bell Tolls". "(Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth", the 1st instrumental ever done by Metallica and pretty much all bass.... and amazing playing by the late Cliff Burton.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

The band Tool has some great bass lines in a few of their songs too.
    Schism comes to mind

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Eddie would be the mascot for Iron Maiden! Megadeth's mascot is Vic Rattlehead. .

You're absolutely right. Eddie was the half-decomposed animated corpse and Vic was all skeleton, natch?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

You're absolutely right. Eddie was the half-decomposed animated corpse and Vic was all skeleton, natch?
    Yep. You must have been at an Iron Maiden show when the drummer almost got crushed. They used to have an Eddie-guy on stilts come out and do different things during one song. The drummer could have been Clive Burr or Nicko McBrain depending on the year and tour.

And when speaking of Iron Maiden... Steve Harris (bass thread!). The guy could thump his Fender bass and wrote many great songs (and most Maiden songs). There weren't a lot of bass players during Maiden's prime that were in the forefront like Harris was in their tunes. A driving bass-line and many killer lead fills (that you could hear in the recordings!). Other bands in their genre (Judas Priest) didn't use the bass as a primary instrument in their music. Harris was/is a 4-string maestro. Wrathchild, Run To The Hills, The Rime of The Ancient Mariner, Hallowed Be Thy Name, etc. Thumpin' bass.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

The end of 19th Nervous Breakdown!

I'll have more later.

edit: that is more of a solo than a bassline, though.

Actually, Bill Wyman was pretty cool. The bassline in Under My Thumb is pretty rad too.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Up on the beach

Mountain Song

Rubberband Man - Spinners

Anything from Hejira

"My City Was Gone" by the Pretenders. That's the one that really stands out to me.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?