Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Great bass lines

Re: Great bass lines

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    True enough, but the question was about bass lines, and that is indeed a bass line.
    This is true.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anything by Rush from Farewell To Kings up through Moving Pictures.

In particular..

The Trees
    Freewill
    La Villa Strangiato
    Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Yep. You must have been at an Iron Maiden show when the drummer almost got crushed. .
    No, it was definitely Megadeth. It was a small, pneumatic-jawed Vic Rattlehead above the drummer that fell partially.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Not really a fan of theirs, but Nine Inch Nails "Closer" comes to mind.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    That's not a bass, that's a distorted guitar!

I hate the White Stripes, but I must admit that Jack White is talented with his pedals, if you know what I mean and I think you do.
    Run it through an octave pedal and the low E on a guitar will most certainly sound like a bass. (Cf Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) by Neil Young--Neil's guitar is filtered by an old Mutron Octave Divider--makes it sound like a train laying on the brakes).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Run it through an octave pedal and the low E on a guitar will most certainly sound like a bass. (Cf Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) by Neil Young--Neil's guitar is filtered by an old Mutron Octave Divider--makes it sound like a train laying on the brakes).
    Now see, I've spent the better part of the last ten years almost solely around musicians and yet still when people break out with stuff like this it's like you're speaking Senegalese. And I don't even know if there is such a language as Senegalese, which is equally appropriate.

I've seen this, and I can hear it, but the words come in and arrrghhhhh.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

"Walking on the Moon", The Police
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

No thread about bass lines would be complete without a mention of all the great lines laid down by Motown house bassist James Jimmerson. My favorite is "I Want You Back".

And on a more avant-garde note, the late Jaco Pastorius did some amazing work on a couple of Joni Mitchell albums. Check out "Refuge of the Roads" or "Cotton Avenue".
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 05-25-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Now see, I've spent the better part of the last ten years almost solely around musicians and yet still when people break out with stuff like this it's like you're speaking Senegalese. And I don't even know if there is such a language as Senegalese, which is equally appropriate.

I've seen this, and I can hear it, but the words come in and arrrghhhhh.
    I'm kind of a pedal-geek. An octave divider adds, in addition to the note that is played on the clean signal, the same note, only an octave (or two) lower. The old octave pedals were kind of primitive and often had difficulty "tracking" the signal coming from the guitar and ending with the amplifier, so they kind of "burped" a lot trying to keep up with the signal notes, resulting in the screeching train sound. The more modern ones track nicely, but don't sound nearly as cool and anarchic.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz
    No thread about bass lines would be complete without a mention of all the great lines laid down by Motown house bassist James Jimmerson. My favorite is "I Want You Back".
    All the Motown sessions guys were the Old Masters of their instruments. I've not heard musicians since that top them.

"Gimme Some Lovin" - Spencer Davis Group

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Help on the Way - The Grateful Dead

I was wondering if Phil was going to get any love in this thread.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm kind of a pedal-geek. An octave divider adds, in addition to the note that is played on the clean signal, the same note, only an octave (or two) lower. The old octave pedals were kind of primitive and often had difficulty "tracking" the signal coming from the guitar and ending with the amplifier, so they kind of "burped" a lot trying to keep up with the signal notes, resulting in the screeching train sound. The more modern ones track nicely, but don't sound nearly as cool and anarchic.
    My old band's guitarist had this great vintage octave pedal...I can't remember the model, but I think he picked it up second hand at Music-go-Round. It actually worked quite well, but I'm familiar with the "burping" sounds you mention.

I've got a multi-effects processor made by Boss that I use...it has an octave pedal function that is probably technically better than the one our guitarist used, but like you I just don't think the sound is as cool. There's somethign to be said for a certain amoutn of primitivism in your sound.

All the Motown sessions guys were the Old Masters of their instruments. I've not heard musicians since that top them.
    I have, but they're generally jazz guys who aren't doing session work anymore. There are a good number of musicians active today who are the absolute masters of their craft--you just don't know of them.

Not to take anything away from the Motown players, who were simply exceptional.

Green Onions - Booker T.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?