Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamels to the DL

Re: Hamels to the DL

lol Krono!

How about we just curse other teams pitchers instead of our own from now on?
    Sound good to everyone else?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Agree that his move to the majors had nothing to do with his injury.

He throws the same stuff in The Big Show that he does at AA or AAA.

Guy is fragile.

This is just one of many examples of why it is always risky to deal young or proven hitting (oftentimes both) for a young arm. Kids are throwing curves waaay too early. I'm 28 years old. When I was 13-14, most kids were throwing curves, even though the accepted philosophy was that they were too young to be doing it. I was not allowed to even try to throw a curve until I was 16. Thus, it took me 16 years to figure out I had no pitching talent other than the natural advantage my height gave me in throwing a fastball. Obviously, I wasn't around decades ago, so I cannot compare the amount of young pitchers who experience problems with their arms to today's rates, but it appears fairly obvious that there are exponentially more pitchers with arm problems early in their careers than before.

Sports are soooo much more competitive these days than they have ever been. Young kids with talent are developing their pitches at much earlier ages; doing so likely at the expense of their long-term viability.

I worked for the University of Florida's Athletic Association during college. It was AMAZING to me how many pitchers we brought in who blew out their arms in college. The culprit was generally the overuse and/or misuse of their arms' as youngsters. Pitching is remarkably taxing on a person's arm. It is not a natural motion. Even young sidearmers (a rare breed, to be sure) have to be careful.

Ahh...off the soapbox.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 05-26-2006 at 12:19 AM.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Though I'm normally a vocol opponent of rushing pitchers (it's just racing toward failure and calamity says I), Cole Hamels arm was going to blow up no matter where he pitched. He's made of balsa.
    We need this guy to get enough innings for a Strat Card.

And I agree with Smith. He was dominating Triple A. That' s not rushing a guy. Homer, by comparison hasn't dominated squat.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    We need this guy to get enough innings for a Strat Card.

And I agree with Smith. He was dominating Triple A. That' s not rushing a guy. Homer, by comparison hasn't dominated squat.
    Doesn't look too good on the Strat card front.

As for dominating AAA, Hamels certainly has (or perhaps I should say had) stuff. Though I'm guessing that if the IL had a chance to get a book on him he would have found himself challenged. Hamels also needed to learn how to carry a regular workload. He'd never pitched enough to do it. In most situations I'd have the kid working through that in the minors. Though a guy as fragile as him may never be healthy enough to do that at any level.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Got these off Roto Times:
    May 27 - Cole Hamels, on the DL with a strained left shoulder, said he has been feeling fine and almost regrets telling the Phillies about the injury, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. He admitted that he probably wouldn't have even mentioned his shoulder injury if he knew he would have felt this good. Hamels, who is eligible to come off the DL next Saturday, will probably make a minor-league rehab appearance before being activated.

May 29 - Cole Hamels is slated to toss a simulated game on Monday, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. On the disabled list with a strained shoulder, Hamels tentatively is scheduled to make a rehab start on Friday. If all goes well, he could return to action June 7.

Maybe he'll get that Strat Card after all

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

i'd love to see Hamels put together 4 straight healthy seasons...for some reason, i think he'd have a Barry Zito-ish kind of movement...couples year of dominance, a good year, and then a struggle.

but i think Hamels will be lucky to get 4 healthy seasons out of his entire career...this is why scalpular loading is bad kids.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?