Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jr. handles criticism

Jr. handles criticism

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2457007

ESPN article talks about Jr.'s defense and the criticism for him to switch positions. The quote at the end sums up Jr.'s personality. The only way he knows how to play......you tell 'em Ken.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jr. handles criticism

So it's not Dunn's fault that Jr is still in CF....interesting.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Ironic that the only Red quoted in that article other than Griffey is Aurilia, a guy whose contribution to the team includes starting at all 4 infield positions this year. Which is a much different contribution than Aurilia was expecting to make when he became a Red last year.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

A little more detail in MLB.com's version

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...4/c1470305.jsp

Griffey opens up to media after stand-off
    05/24/2006 7:49 PM ET
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Switch positions? Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't want to hear it. He'd probably prefer that you don't even think it.

Griffey, now fully recovered from the right knee strain that put him on the disabled list for a month, has recently been on a home run groove while making some spectacular defensive plays that were equally buzz-worthy.

Yet hosts on a local sports radio program created a much different buzz Monday morning by suggesting that Griffey was no longer the player he once was and should switch to left field or first base.

Griffey said he didn't listen to the show personally, but the comments clearly stung. Although the radio personalities in question are never seen at the ballpark or in the clubhouse, the 36-year-old refused to speak to any media following the previous two games.

A 10-time Gold Glove winner and 12-time All-Star with 542 career homers (12th all-time), Griffey ended his silence on Wednesday but was still fuming.

"All I want to do is go out and play baseball, that's it," Griffey said. "To be judged after eight games after I busted my [rear end] to get back, I think it's [wrong]. It's easy for people to criticize somebody and not be out there. 'You should have caught that ball?' Well, it's not like I'm not trying.

"What you guys write or say, that doesn't just stay in this clubhouse. "I have to live it. I have to go places. I have to do normal things. I go to the grocery store. I can't do anything but just hold my head up high and keep moving."

In Tuesday's 7-3 victory over Milwaukee, Griffey hit a three-run homer for the go-ahead run a half-inning after colliding with the fence to make a leaping catch. On Monday, he made two strong plays in the field that saved extra-base hits.

Since being activated from the DL on May 11, Griffey has four homers -- including three over the previous four games. He entered Wednesday with a seven-game hitting streak while batting .268 with six homers and 25 RBIs.

"If I felt that I was going to hurt this team, don't you think that I would say okay [to switch positions]?" Griffey said.

Reds manager Jerry Narron has never hinted that he's planned to move Griffey out of center field. He defended his superstar player in his postgame comments on Tuesday.

"Anybody that had any questions about Ken Griffey Jr. I think they can be put to rest," Narron said. "He's played outstanding since he's been back."

An assortment of injuries, especially to his legs, has decimated Griffey's tenure with the Reds since his trade from the Mariners before the 2000 season. He played just 70 games in 2002, followed by 53 games in 2003 and 83 games in 2004. He played 128 games in a rebound to form and mostly good health in 2005.

Some have speculated that a switch to first base would save Griffey's legs from injury, but he disagreed.

"You can get hurt anywhere," he said.

Griffey, who started Wednesday's game in his usual center-field spot while batting third, said he wasn't reaping extra satisfaction from proving people wrong on the field.

"If I can get to it, I'll get to it. If there's a wall there, I'll run through a wall," Griffey said. "I play baseball at one speed. It's the only way I know how to play."

I don't think a defensive switch would keep him anymore healthy, would just help the teams D that's all.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I don't think a defensive switch would keep him anymore healthy, would just help the teams D that's all.
    Last time I checked, we could use all the help we can get

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Personally, I think it would do both. There is a lot more running involved in CF and it is going to take its toll on his legs. It happens every year. Think about it...out of these 3 guys, who do you see doing the most running in the OF? Dunn, Griffey or Kearns?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Personally, I think it would do both. There is a lot more running involved in CF and it is going to take its toll on his legs. It happens every year. Think about it...out of these 3 guys, who do you see doing the most running in the OF? Dunn, Griffey or Kearns?
    But don't you think he knows what is best for him and his team more than any of us do? I take the man for his word when he says he would never do anything to hurt the team because he's never given me any reason to think otherwise. Some like to make him up as being a selfish player, I feel the opposite. If he thought his legs couldn't hold up to playing center and would be risking an extended absence from the team, I really feel he would volunteer a position move.

This subject has been hammered into the ground since he went on the DL. Let's just move on and accept he isn't going anywhere for the time being because Griffey himself and the powers to be seem a lot less concerned about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    But don't you think he knows what is best for him and his team more than any of us do? I take the man for his word when he says he would never do anything to hurt the team because he's never given me any reason to think otherwise. Some like to make him up as being a selfish player, I feel the opposite. If he thought his legs couldn't hold up to playing center and would be risking an extended absence from the team, I really feel he would volunteer a position move.

This subject has been hammered into the ground since he went on the DL. Let's just move on and accept he isn't going anywhere for the time being because Griffey himself and the powers to be seem a lot less concerned about it.
    I agree that the subject is getting old. But sometimes when great players start to age, they refuse to admit that they are losing a step. Jr's seasons since he came to Ohio seem to always end with him on the operating table. Mostly the surgeries take place on his legs. The guy had a little tightness behind his knee earlier this year and he was out for a month. Don't you think they should be saving him a little?

Here's a better question...if the Reds were an AL team, do you think Griffey would see any time as the DH? 20 games? 40 games?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I agree that the subject is getting old. But sometimes when great players start to age, they refuse to admit that they are losing a step. Jr's seasons since he came to Ohio seem to always end with him on the operating table. Mostly the surgeries take place on his legs. The guy had a little tightness behind his knee earlier this year and he was out for a month. Don't you think they should be saving him a little?

Here's a better question...if the Reds were an AL team, do you think Griffey would see any time as the DH? 20 games? 40 games?
    I understand what you are saying, and you are right when it comes to certain players. I don't think Junior will be the type of player who will keep playing when he isn't capable of doing what he used to. It is obvious that he still can. He came back from an injury last season that a lot of players would have had to retire from and played what, 130 games? I'll take that at this point. It is what it is, he's an aging veteran who will get hurt whether he is in left, center, or first.

Protecting him is one thing, babying him is another.

Griffey is swinging the bat well, is healthy and playing some good D. Lets enjoy this Hall of Famer while we still have a chance in his rightful position patrolling centerfield.

Did I miss something? Is there a CF just waiting in the wings that has won 10 gold gloves?

They should ask Billy Hall if Griffey can still play defense. The camera shot of him walking back to the bench looking out at centerfield was priceless.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

I guess Jr is not interested in entertaining a position change

Angry Griffey takes his swings at media critics

By Hal McCoy

CINCINNATI | Ken Griffey Jr. was one angry outfielder Wednesday as he sat in front of his locker venting about The Two Angry Guys, the radio talk-show hosts who said Griffey is better suited to play left field or first base, and that such a move would better serve the Cincinnati Reds.

And he included a newspaper columnist who wrote that Griffey was no more than a good outfielder.

"For somebody who has not played this game to criticize me and make judgments is not right," he said. "I'm just tired of hearing it. All I want to do is go out and play baseball. That's it."

The mini-controversy began when the team was in Detroit last weekend, and Griffey had difficulty locating a shallow pop fly, which then fell in front of him.

"So that means I can't play, because one ball fell in front of me in the toughest sun field in baseball (Comerica Park)?" he said. "You can't see early in the game. When have you ever seen me wear sunglasses instead of flip-downs? I wore 'em in Detroit.

"Until somebody goes out and looks at the outfield, it's easy to criticize somebody and not be out there, like, 'You should have caught that ball.' It ain't like I'm not trying. I'm just tired of it, that's all."

After the criticism on the radio and in a newspaper column, Griffey made three gaudy catches Monday and Tuesday and hit a pair of three-run home runs, almost an in-your-face statement, although he said negativism doesn't fuel his fire.

"To be judged after playing eight games (after coming off the disabled list, where he was for three weeks with a knee injury), after I busted my butt getting back, it's horse-crap."

Asked about switching from center field to left field or first base, Griffey said, "If I felt I was going to hurt this team, do you think I wouldn't say OK?"

And, no, he hasn't been asked.

"If I can get to it, I'll get to it. If I have to run into a bloomin' wall, I'll run into a bloomin' wall. I play baseball at one speed — all-out. I don't half-butt it, because I have to face 24 guys in this clubhouse every day."

Griffey was smiling during early batting practice, before he addressed his issues, then was smiling later after getting it off his mind.

"Sometimes you have bad days. You have bad days, I have bad days and you just don't want to talk," he said.

"What you guys say and write doesn't just stay in this clubhouse. I have to live it, I have to go places, normal places like the grocery store and hear it (repeated). I can't do anything but hold my head up high and keep moving. You don't have to have your kids listen to other kids repeat it."

All Griffey wants to do is hit, run and field — in center field.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I don't like that Jr gets over-sensitive to criticism. It's too Bonds-like.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    I don't like that Jr gets over-sensitive to criticism. It's too Bonds-like.
    He does care what people think about him...

Turn Off Ads?