Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why not skip Milton with the offday?

Why not skip Milton with the offday?

Why wouldn't you skip Milton here with the offday, everyone will have 4 days rest? Milton obviously needs some more time, he looked awful @ Detroit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not skip Milton with the offday?

Milton doesn't need more time, he needs more live action. He's rusty. Sitting him for an additional five days will just slow him down even more. Now, I believe he should've made a start or two in AAA, but that's a moot point now that he's already up here. And he's making way too much cash, about 16% of the payroll, to be skipped in the rotation no matter how bad he has been in the past two starts and last year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll return to how he pitched early this year and most of his career. If he does, this team will stay in the wild card hunt for most of summer if not all.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I think his performance in Detroit could be attributed more to him just coming off the DL without a real rehab start. I think if we skip him that would just result in him being even worse off. He should have taken a couple rehab starts to be ready to go at full strength but it's too late now so we will probably need to just deal with him not having excellent command for a couple starts.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

There are 8,000,000 reasons not to do that.

i don't think that milton got his fastball over 87 mph last time out, now i suppose that could be rust and i agree he should have pitched once in aaa but with webb going on friday i'd much rather see harang go to give us a chance....but like has been said i don't think that sitting an extra five days will help, maybe place him in the rotation after arroyo but that might still be too long a wait, really there is no good option here unless he surprises everyone and throws a gem or webb throws a bad one (unlikely)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    There are 8,000,000 reasons not to do that.
    Not good enough reasons

We're stuck with him, may as well throw him and hope he gets hot and someone calls about him
    Go Gators!

I'd rather pitch Skip Milton than Eric Milton any day. And I don't even know who Skip Milton is!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Milton is going to beat Webb and knock him off his 7-0 pedestal. We're going to get back to knocking out #1 starter's on Friday nights. Go Milty!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    Milton is going to beat Webb and knock him off his 7-0 pedestal. We're going to get back to knocking out #1 starter's on Friday nights. Go Milty!

Officially we will institute: "FRY THE ACE" FRIDAY!
    Mr. Webb, the pan awaits you!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I think that maybe the Reds could have skipped Milton's turn in the rotation, and had him pitch out of the bullpen to get his work in and "knock the rust off" until his next start (which would have been Tuesday in that scenario).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?