Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Felipe Lopez Bobblehead Night Experience...

My Felipe Lopez Bobblehead Night Experience...

I want to make this short and sweet to get the point across.

How can a guy who starts most every game get a "Rest" on his own bobblehead night? Is Narron unaware of promotions or just doesn't care? Is his ego so big that he thinks people won't complain? This was ridiculous.

Then, I noticed Dunn wasn't playing either. Well, we pretty much forfeited this game at the start. Absolute embarrassment. I drive 3 hours each way to get to the game, and this is the reason more crowds don't come out.

LET ME EXPLAIN....

When you have a Bobblehead Night, you are going to get a bigger crowd than normal. That gives you the chance to play the stars and get a big win so that most of those folks will say "hey, that was fun, let's come back". Instead, people don't get to see our only 2005 All-Star, as well as the leading RBI and Home Run hitter on the club. This is incredibly stupid.

Flame me if you want, but I am not wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Felipe Lopez Bobblehead Night Experience...

Feel better?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Definitely.

If it takes getting a free bobblehead to get people in the seats, it doesn't matter if they win or lose, they're probably not going to be back.

They're just there for the giveaway.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

If the marketing guys wrote the lineups...they'd it do your way. But they don't.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    If it takes getting a free bobblehead to get people in the seats, it doesn't matter if they win or lose, they're probably not going to be back.

I disagree completely.

That's like saying "if Cokes are on sale 5/$10.00 this week at Kroger, then people will come in and buy the Cokes and never come back."

I guess if that is the logic you use, then no, people wouldn't be back.

I work at Kroger and deal with promotions, so I know that we try to pull people in with promotions, so that they will come back again after experiencing good service.

In retrospect, at least we got Griffey, who provided the only really "loudly exciting" part of the night when he got up to bat with the bases loaded in the 3rd. He dribbled it down to 1st base and got one RBI, but at least he didn't strikeout like Kearns.

I had a good time, as I always do, but I just hate to see such an opportunity wasted by the Reds (in my opinion, anyway).

So do we bring Barry Larkin or Dave C. back for their bobble head nights? The manager of the Reds thought it was best for those two players to rest last night. I don't care who's bobble head night it is/was, the manager should do what is best for the team. The reason the Reds lost last night was not because Lopez didn't play on his bobble head night. It was because Claussen get plastered by the Brew Crew's hitting.

Yay!

Unfortunately the promotions department doesn't communicate with the baseball department on things like this. If a few people stay away because of this... too bad.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I actually agree with thread starter, if you have a big crowd it would help to put the best lineup out there, most of the people are probably just there for the toy, but some might get excited and come back, I dunno..but Ross in left and Q in right sure doesn't excite me
    Go Gators!

Yay!

It always helps to put your best lineup out there. But that isn't always the best long-term decision. I don't necessarily like attending Sunday afternoon games for that very reason.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Lefty Doug Davis can be blamed... Lopez batting RH is not as good as Rich Aurilia in the opinion of Narron. And Narron probably felt Dunn (also LH as we all know) could use a night off (2 nights w/ today) and it might as well be against a LH pitcher.

I understand the gripe. However, I am for Narron making moves for winning reasons and not reasons that have to do w/ dolls.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

"When you have a Bobblehead Night, you are going to get a bigger crowd than normal. That gives you the chance to play the stars and get a big win so that most of those folks will say "hey, that was fun, let's come back". Instead, people don't get to see our only 2005 All-Star, as well as the leading RBI and Home Run hitter on the club. This is incredibly stupid."

I agree that Lopez should have started on his bobble-head night, but to get upset at Dunn not playing is just ridiculously bad luck. Don't blame Narron on that.
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    "When you have a Bobblehead Night, you are going to get a bigger crowd than normal. That gives you the chance to play the stars and get a big win so that most of those folks will say "hey, that was fun, let's come back". Instead, people don't get to see our only 2005 All-Star, as well as the leading RBI and Home Run hitter on the club. This is incredibly stupid."

I agree that Lopez should have started on his bobble-head night, but to get upset at Dunn not playing is just ridiculously bad luck. Don't blame Narron on that.
    I agree with you. Bad luck with Dunn not starting. But Lopez needs to be starting on his "own" night. He plays 160 games a year. He might get 2 games off ALL YEAR and Narron times it up with bobblehead night (by the way, I could care less about bobbleheads, it's just the principle of this matter). I believe you play to play well all year, yada yada yada, but the Reds need to be much more sensitive with the fans. Many fans came to get a Lopez bobblehead, see Lopez play, pay their respect to him by waving the little sucker around all game and go home happy. The fans are extremely important to our teams' success. I have no problem with Dunn sitting, but sitting Lopez last night was not bad luck, it was just plain stupid. A lot people will remember this, and they won't be happy, and they might not come back.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I actually agree with thread starter, if you have a big crowd it would help to put the best lineup out there, most of the people are probably just there for the toy, but some might get excited and come back, I dunno..but Ross in left and Q in right sure doesn't excite me
    I totally agree with both of you.

Bobblehead nights bring in the butts... everyone knows that. Make them happy by putting your best product on the field in the hopes they'll return.

Ballpark promotions are designed to benefit the team; perhaps the team's manager could help out a little. I don't think it's too much to expect to see the best product on field (every night, in my opinion, with an occasional day off for one of the starters, not two in the same game).

In addition, I also believe fans have the right to expect the night's featured player to be in the starting lineup. Felipe hasn't had many nights off and with a day off today, there was no reason not to run him out there. If he was playing crappy, it might be another story, but he isn't.

I guess Narron didn't even want to try going for the sweep. No excuses in my opinion.

And he made a whole lot of fans very unhappy; me included.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30

I couldn't disagree more. That's what a promotional night is all about and it works. If they're happy and have a good time, they'll be back.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-25-2006 at 09:02 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I'd be interested to see if there are attendance figures in correlation with bobblehead nights. I agree that winning does at least help somewhat with those large crowds, my point is just that alot of those people are there just to collect the bobbleheads because they're in fashion right now.

They could care less about the game. Win, lose or draw.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?