Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumatrait/Coutlangus could be on the way to Cincy soon

Dumatrait/Coutlangus could be on the way to Cincy soon

LOOKING FOR RELIEF: The Reds took a five-run lead into the eighth inning Friday night against the Detroit Tigers.

That didn't keep Narron from using Todd Coffey, his top setup man, to pitch the eighth.

That says fairly plainly that Narron doesn't trust his middle men.

Given that four of eight pitchers in the bullpen went into Saturday with an ERA over 6.75, you have to ask: Don't the Reds have anyone to turn to in the minors?

"We've got some guys," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "But I'm not going to name names. I'm afraid I'll leave someone out."

The Reds don't have any relievers throwing well at Triple-A. (Ryan Wagner, the most likely suspect, is 0-2 with a 7.58 ERA.)

Director of player development Johnny Almaraz mentioned two possibilities at Double-A: left-handers Phil Dumatrait and John Coutlangus. Dumatrait, 23, is 3-2 with a 3.09 ERA as a starter. He throws 93-98 mph with a good curveball. Coutlangus, 26, throws in the 88-91 range. But his cut fastball makes him effective against lefties and righties. He's 1-1 with a 2.05 ERA.

Krivsky was in Chattanooga this weekend.

He realizes that the end of the 'pen cannot be Coffey and David Weathers forever.

"If we don't have someone in the system, we'll go out and find somebody," Krivsky said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...316/1071/SPT04

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dumatrait/Coutlangus could be on the way to Cincy soon

You have to think with Krivsky in Chattanooga last night watching Dumatrait and Coutlangus pitch that they could be up with the big club before long. I like Dumatrait more as a starter, but I wouldn't mind seeing him work out of the bullpen this year and then eased into the rotation in September, or even next season. FWIW, Dumatrait doesn't throw 93-98 mph as Fay wrote, I believe he's more in the 90-93 mph range.

One thing that Dumatrait and Coutlangus excel at is keeping the ball in the yard. They have combined to allow just two home runs all season in 62 innings pitched.

Coutlangus: 23 innings, 14 hits, 0 HR, 10 bb, 23 k, 1.04 WHIP, 1.96 ERA

Dumatrait: 39 innings, 27 hits, 2 HR, 14 BB, 38 K, 1.05 WHIP, 2.77 ERA

Well...at least it's nice that Krivsky has made it known that he's aware of the problem and plans on addressing it asap. That in itself is a very welcome change from past regimes IMO.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Bye Bye Ricky White

I figured one of the guys they are looking at is Brad Salmon.
    He was bumped up to AAA a week or so ago and has pitched in 2 games.
    So far in AAA: 5 IP, 3 Hits, 0 Runs, 1 BB, 8 K

Yea, 93-98 seemed like a pretty wide range

What are the negatives on Phil...holding down a 98 mph throwing lefty with a ERA at 3 doesn't seem to make sense...what's the delay???

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels
    What are the negatives on Phil...holding down a 98 mph throwing lefty with a ERA at 3 doesn't seem to make sense...what's the delay???
    the 2006 BA Prospect handbook had Dumatrait as having a 88-91 mph fastball.

I'm pretty sure that he would have a few more folks on his bandwagon if he was dropping curves in while pumping in number one's at a rate of 93-98. Fay really is not a good sportswriter (yes I know that is understating the case).
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

"If we don't have someone in the system, we'll go out and find somebody," Krivsky said.
    I like this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    I like this statement.
    What would DanO say? Can you imagine?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Probably the same thing....it would just take him 3 paragraphs to say it.

Something about scouting, development, and patience.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0315/-1/BACK01

"First of all, from our point of view, we probably would prioritize starting pitching above a closer. Second of all, there are a lot of closers currently on the free agent market, and as a result that's causing a lot of clubs to be in a wait-and-see mode depending upon where certain individuals end up and who might be available as a result. Thirdly, in our case, we may potentially have some internal candidates who may ultimately end up being capable of doing the job, such as a Todd Coffey, who with a rediscovered split-finger might be able to handle the role. We're at that point in time where people are assessing our ballclub and where our inventory lies and where there might be a fit."

On some sick level, I miss Dan O'Brien

Maybe the discrepency in Dumatrait's velocity is related to the Tommy John surgery he had a couple years ago. When he was topping out at 88-91 MPH, he might not have been at full strength yet. Just a theory.

Turn Off Ads?