Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jorge Posada has torn hamstring tendon, no way one of our catchers goes thru waivers

Jorge Posada has torn hamstring tendon, no way one of our catchers goes thru waivers

how about a trade of LaRue.... for bullpen help.. any ideas?

Per rotoworld.com
    "Jorge Posada has a torn hamstring tendon in his left knee and will be sidelined at least a few days.
    A DL stint isn't expected to be necessary, but the Yankees will add a catcher prior to Friday's game, either Wil Nieves or Koyie Hill. Posada might be ready to go early next week. Kelly Stinnett will start in his place. May. 25 - 8:51 pm et
    "

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: Jorge Posada has a torn hamstring tendon..noway one of our catchers goes thru wai

Posada might be ready to go early next week
    i dontthink the yankees will panic over a few days
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Re: Jorge Posada has a torn hamstring tendon..noway one of our catchers goes thru waivers

They need all the help they can get, they won't deal anyone that could be used soon.
    Go Gators!

Re: Jorge Posada has a torn hamstring tendon..noway one of our catchers goes thru waivers

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    They need all the help they can get, they won't deal anyone that could be used soon.
    Yeah, but they could deal away a prospect. The Yanks are notorious for making rash decisions. See: Canseco, Jose.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Jorge Posada has a torn hamstring tendon..noway one of our catchers goes thru wai

The problem is that the Reds haven't played LaRue enough to showcase him since his return. He hasn't had a chance to get into a groove or wow any potential suitors and, as such, the return on him wouldn't be great.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Valentin get dangled for the Yankees. He'd be the type of player that Cashman might want to go for -- switch hitting stopgap that still leaves plenty of cash available for the Yankees to address the more pressing need of an outfielder and starting pitching help.

Save the big name acquisition for a position on the diamond where a big splash can be made.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The problem is that the Reds haven't played LaRue enough to showcase him since his return. He hasn't had a chance to get into a groove or wow any potential suitors and, as such, the return on him wouldn't be great.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Valentin get dangled for the Yankees. He'd be the type of player that Cashman might want to go for -- switch hitting stopgap that still leaves plenty of cash available for the Yankees to address the more pressing need of an outfielder and starting pitching help.

Save the big name acquisition for a position on the diamond where a big splash can be made.
    Haven't played him enough? He's had 2 or more ABs in 14 of the 22 games in May. How many games would a catcher play who has had enough? 16 or 17 games? At the most? I think LaRue has had plenty of time to showcase his talents and has not produced at all. Don't forget, the Reds are trying to win games first and foremost. IMO, he has played too much.

Re: Jorge Posada has torn hamstring tendon, no way one of our catchers goes thru waivers

They only expect him to be out a few days with a torn hamstring? A catcher?
    I'm shocked!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Re: Jorge Posada has torn hamstring tendon, no way one of our catchers goes thru waivers

Larue has been in the league many years. GM's know what he can do.

No GM bases his baseball descisions on a few weeks vs. a lifetime of stats.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Jorge Posada has torn hamstring tendon, no way one of our catchers goes thru waiv

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns

True. I would try to get Melky Cabrera or a Sean Penn

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Jorge Posada has torn hamstring tendon, no way one of our catchers goes thru waiv

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns

"What have you done for me lately" always adjusts a players value when it comes to trades -- either downward slightly if they player isn't playing well THIS season or upward slightly if the player IS playing well this season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    True. I would try to get Melky Cabrera or a Sean Penn
    I don't know about Sean Penn...he has gone downhill since Shanghai Surprise.

I know, I know, Sean Henn. He's nothing special. I wouldn't waste my time with him. Every time he gets the call, he gets murdered. I'd have interest in Melky. Still very young.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I don't know about Sean Penn...he has gone downhill since Shanghai Surprise.

I know, I know, Sean Henn. He's nothing special. I wouldn't waste my time with him. Every time he gets the call, he gets murdered. I'd have interest in Melky. Still very young.
    I dunno...Mystic River was pretty good.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Another team that might have an interest in Valentin: the Washington Nationals.

Their first-string catcher, Schneider, has been Dl'd with a bad hammy, and their backup, Gonzalez, suffered a concussion earlier this week. Today, they had to use reserve catcher LeCroy, who allowed 7 SB by the Astros before a teary-eyed manager Frank Robinson yanked LeCroy mid-inning, something very rarely done with a positional player.

Looking at LeCroy's stats for the year, the former Twinkie has now been run on 21 times in limited duty as a catcher, and only nailed one of the potential basestealers. Looks like his arm is so suspect that teams are running at will against him, meaning his MLB catching days are over.

The Nationals could use a catcher like Valentin, who's versatile and could also play some 1B and PH.

The team isn't going anywhere this season, so perhaps we could pry away any one of their three effective righty middle relief pitchers: the 38-year-old former Red Sox veteran Stanton (3.74 ERA, .208 BA against, 1.38 WHIP, 6 holds), 26-year-old Majewski (3.03 ERA, .198 BA against, 1.21 WHIP, 3 holds), or 27-year-old Louisville native Rauch (1.67 ERA, .222 BA against, 1.19 WHIP, 3 holds).

Stanton makes $1 million (about the same as Valentin), the younger guys are earning less than $400K.

I suspect it would be easier to get a MLB-ready reliever from the Nationals than from the Yankees, who are more likely to offer prospects, owing to the fact they can't weaken their already injury-decimated team. If you ask me, we need immediate relief help. Our bullpen is our Achilles heel in our quest for a playoff berth in '06, while our pool of relief prospects, especially at AA Chattanooga, looks mighty fine.

I'm hearing Posada may be headed to the DL today.

The Yankees are happy with Melky Cabrera filling in LF while Matsui's out. The won't deal him for a backup catcher.

Crap! Now I have to replace him on my Fantasy Team... though he didn't play a lot anyway.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?