Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front office / Godfather comparisons

Front office / Godfather comparisons

Here's a game...name the recent Reds front office employee with the Godfather character they most resemble (not looks wise). I think there are a lot of good comparisons and thought of a lot of valid ones, but I'll start with one and see what everyone else is thinking.

Fredo Corleone = Dan O'Brien

Both caused so much unintentional comedy in their roles the comparison is perfect. I could just see him crying to Castellini "The Pirates told me there was something in it for me." Next?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Front office / Godfather comparisons

Sonny Corleone: JimBo

Both were flamboyant. Both were given to rash decisions. Both had some success (JimBo won division titles in 94, yes, I am counting 94, and 95) Sonny took out Bruno Tataglia and gave the OK to Michaels plan to eliminate the Turk and the cop. Both of their stints in charge ended up badly.

Also, I am told that in an early draft of the book, Sonny also wore leather pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Sonny Corleone: JimBo

Both were flamboyant. Both were given to rash decisions. Both had some success (JimBo won division titles in 94, yes, I am counting 94, and 95) Sonny took out Bruno Tataglia and gave the OK to Michaels plan to eliminate the Turk and the cop. Both of their stints in charge ended up badly.

Also, I am told that in an early draft of the book, Sonny also wore leather pants.
    Bingo. Love the comparison and I had that one on my mind also.

That make Dan O one of those nameless guys who gets shot?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    That make Dan O one of those nameless guys who gets shot?
    Not necessarily. In the words of his brother, Michael Corleone, Fredo has a good heart but he is weak and he is stupid. Sounds like a perfect description of DanO.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It doesnt get any better for me than this. Love the Reds and love all 3 Godfathers. Yall hit the nail on the head with the first two but im going to branch out a little bit and include people all over the baseball Cosa Nostra.
    Fredo=O'Brien
    Sonny=JimBo

Krivsky=Definatly Michael...Young up and coming and wants to take the Corleone's (Reds) to heights never or not recently seen. Nothing will stand in his way, not even a low payroll. He might not have been part of the Cincinnati Family very long but just as Michael is new to La Cosa Nostra Don Krivsky is new to Cincinnati...but that means nothing because we know where his loyalty lies.

Marty=Tom Hagen....As Consigliere Marty's job is to inform the boss or anyone who will listen what is best for the family. This doesnt consist of telling them what they want to hear but an unbiased view. His Hall of Fame status will also keep him from being knocked off for his outspoken remarks no matter what the Don thinks of his comments.

Nuxhall=Luca Brasi.....Loyalty above all things

Peter Gammons=Don Barzini....It might seem like the Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, or ESPN all seem like they might be the ones trying to take over the Corleone's (Reds), but the Don knows who the real villan is. Clearly its the smartest of the other Don's. Its Don Peter Gammons that is working with the Sollozza (Barry Bonds...think about this one) to take down the Reds.

Pokey Reese=Tessio....Once was an honorable Capo for the Reds but turned his back on them so he had to pay the price. As we like to say "Reese sleeps with the baseball fishes"

That leaves only one person. Im talking about the man who came here and saw something he didnt like. He didnt like the way Don Fanucci (Carl Linder) was running the family. So what did he do? He took matters in his own hands. Something the people of Cincinnati never thought would happen because of the power of Carl Fanucci. But this man vowed to bring the Cincinnati Family back to what it used to be.

Don Robert Castellini=Vito Corleone....Light spoken but strong willed. Smarter than all other people in the family and other families. He saw something in Michael (Krivsky) that no one else really saw. He knew Michael would be able to work deals with other families that would benifit our family (Brandon Phillips). Castellini will use his brains to beat the other families.

Stay tuned for Godfather Part IV to see where Don Homer Bailey takes the family into the new generation.
    Last edited by Shaknb8k; 05-26-2006 at 01:31 AM.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k
    Stay tuned for Godfather Part IV to see where Don Homer Bailey takes the family into the new generation.
    That's-a nice donut!

Does this mean Krivsky will arange the "end" of Dan O?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Does this mean Krivsky will arange the "end" of Dan O?
    DanO should watch if he gets any fishing invitations...Hail Mary, full of grace...

Carlo Rizzi has to be next..

Boy, you can always tell right away here when the Reds have an off day.

I don't know...for some reason, Narron reminds me of Luca Brasi, by the way they both talk. Okay, I know he is not front office, but I'm just sayin'.

Meanwhile, we have the person who, early on, was kind of quiet. Seemed to be behind the scenes - even though her big moment was the main focus of the begining of the film.
    Connie.
    In the first movie, she was more or less in the background, until her beating became a direct reason for the murder of Sonny.
    Early in the second film, she was very vocal against the family - until finally joining forces near the end.
    By the third movie, she was more or less the driving force behind the family - ultimately helping to make some decisions which would lead to the end of Michael and perhaps the family.
    So, Connie is either John Allen or Carl Linder. You make the call.

Carlo Rizzi=Ron Oester???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Carlo Rizzi=Ron Oester???

Nah, That'd be Tracy Jones.

I'm thinking Ken Sr would be Clemenza

Adam Dunn is 100% Rocco

I don't see a "Michael" in here yet. Wayne has the potential but he could easily flame out.

If we want to go back a few years, I would say Vito = Bob Howsam.

Phillip Tataglia = Dusty Baker

Joey Zasa = Tony LaRussa

Moe Green = Jimmy Haynes
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Moe Green = Jimmy Haynes

"I made my bones while you was still [dating] cheerleaders! I won 15 games in the show! What have you done?"

Turn Off Ads?