Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Rock Star" Bronson Arroyo LIVE IN CONCERT!

Re: "Rock Star" Bronson Arroyo LIVE IN CONCERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Jammin' with Gammons.
    Jammin' With Gammons

Track 1: I Heard it Through the Grapevine
    Track 2: More Than a Feeling
    Track 3: Imagine
    Track 4: Call Me
    Track 5: Careless Whisper
    Track 6: That'll Be the Day
    Track 7: I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)
    Track 8: Tempted
    Track 9: What's Goin' On?
    Track 10: Blowin' in the Wind

Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    Agh. I'd prefer baseballers and rockers stay very distant.
    It's just his hobby, and he enjoys it. What's the harm?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    No Rich Apuzzo or Valerie Abati?
    Nope, Paul always does this stuff. I'd absolutely love to have this guy's job.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I find that I like some of Bronson's covers better than the original songs...

Also, those songs he covered on his album are some of the same songs I was listening to in college, so it kinda takes me back when I listen to it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

While on vacation in Jamacia, I met a guy from Boston. He said, with a laugh, that while Arroyo was a good pitcher, the reason he was traded from Boston was the everybody there got tired of having to listen to him sing.

LOL, Freel was there, of course, there was a party going on.

I wonder what song Felo came out there and sang with Arroyo?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Jammin' With Gammons

Track 1: I Heard it Through the Grapevine
    Track 2: More Than a Feeling
    Track 3: Imagine
    Track 4: Call Me
    Track 5: Careless Whisper
    Track 6: That'll Be the Day
    Track 7: I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)
    Track 8: Tempted
    Track 9: What's Goin' On?
    Track 10: Blowin' in the Wind

Track 11: Lies
    Track 12: Hell Bent For Leather
    Track 13: Jimmy Mack

2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Makes all the routine posts.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Unlike Mercker, looks like Rich has a "young" wife:

http://www.raquelaurilia.com

And hot.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    What's Mercker's wife look like?

I went to HS with Kent and Julie and she is a very beautiful woman.

Prettier than Mrs. Aurilia. Trust me.

And as far as the "old" comment? Julie is only 34. Kent was just being funny.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 06-17-2006 at 02:44 PM.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...yoonstage.html

By Joe Kay
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

12:52 p.m. June 19, 2006

CINCINNATI – The sweaty crowd is on its feet. Bronson Arroyo is deep in concentration as he swivels his head and shoots a glance over his right shoulder.

Checking a baserunner? Nope.

The Cincinnati Reds pitcher is checking with his saxophone player. On this night, he has traded the mound for another sort of stage.

Bathed in red and yellow spotlights in an old theater, Arroyo and a group of musicians from Los Angeles and Boston are putting on a benefit concert for the Reds' community fund. A self-taught acoustic guitar player with a pleasant baritone is the main attraction.

A lot of entertainers like to hang out with players, dreaming of digging in and taking a few cuts against the game's best. A lot of athletes like to hang around entertainers, daydreaming about what it's like to take center stage.

Arroyo is that rare crossover – he does both.

“I'm not a great guitar player, but I can strum the chords, I can keep a beat and hopefully I'm singing on key,” Arroyo said before a game last weekend. “There's a lot of guys who play the guitar a little bit, there's a lot of guys who sing. But there's not many guys who can sit on a stage in front of a thousand people with an acoustic guitar and entertain for an hour.”

There's no boast in his tone. The 29-year-old pitcher is well aware of his stage limitations – he's never had a music lesson, never had a coach to help him expand his vocal range. Music is a hobby, one that taps into a different part of his creativity and challenges him in a way that pitching cannot.

Think it's tough facing Albert Pujols? Try looking into the eyes of fans who have paid money to be entertained.

“I don't necessarily need the feedback from the fans in the stadium because I'm so locked in on the baseball game,” Arroyo said. “When you're playing the music, you're not just locked into the music. You want to get everyone's reaction and see if they enjoy it.

“I'm more nervous musically. I want the approval of the crowd. In baseball, you don't necessarily need the approval of the crowd. You need to get outs.”

The lanky pitcher has gotten plenty of those since he came to the Reds in a spring training trade with Boston, where his musical career got its start after the Red Sox won the World Series two years ago.

He released a CD in July 2005 titled “Covering the Bases,” a collection of tunes from groups such as Pearl Jam and the Goo Goo Dolls. It became a hit in New England, and he gave about a dozen performances.

Arroyo never had much involvement with music. His grandmother – a violin, cello and piano teacher – tried to get him to take up the violin at age 4. He hated it.

He listened to his father's music – the Beatles, the Mamas and the Papas – while lifting weights with him. Arroyo liked it, but it never moved his soul. It wasn't until he heard Pearl Jam while in high school that his interest stirred.

Arroyo won 15 games for Double-A Altoona in 1999, and spent time listening to the clubhouse manager play his guitar. The team's assistant general manager noticed his interest and gave him an old Yamaha.

The strings of the guitar fit his hand as comfortably as the seams of a baseball. Soon, he was singing for teammates and friends. The guitar went with him everywhere, and got a workout every day.

Something about performing attracts athletes, just as something about the games intrigues entertainers.

“We think that standing on a stage and playing for 30,000 people in an arena and singing is just the most unbelievable thing you could ever imagine,” Arroyo said.

“And (Pearl Jam's) Eddie Vedder sits in the stands at Wrigley Field and says, 'Man, if I could just stand on the mound, or stand at the plate and have an at-bat, that would be the greatest thing.'”

Arroyo, who is 8-3 this year with a 2.51 ERA, finds the stage a much tougher venue. Performers have to connect with the audience, letting some of their soul show. By contrast, athletes are trained to keep their emotions in check.

Writing songs is another matter. Arroyo's life and career have been so good there's not much angst to tap.

“I have nothing to complain about,” he said. “So it's like I'm trying to write a Pearl Jam song and it keeps coming out Jimmy Buffett.”

He would like to do more performances, but that depends upon the public demand.

“I know I'm always going to do something in music, even if it's sitting with 25 people in my hometown and strumming a guitar,” he said. “It's the only thing I've ever had in my life that I can't put down.”
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

“It's the only thing I've ever had in my life that I can't put down.”
    there is a joke there somewhere.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Isn't this kinda of a Reds suck up to Arroyo.......Promote a concert of his on a rare off day......Wonder what the front office really thought of this idea......I remember the Timberwolves player Troy Hudson did the exact same bit......did a concert during the season and the coach and gm (McHale) were livid behind the scenes about him doing this....

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    I remember the Timberwolves player Troy Hudson did the exact same bit......did a concert during the season and the coach and gm (McHale) were livid behind the scenes about him doing this....
    Why? I can't remember anyone ever getting injured for playing guitar without wearing a helmet.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Why? I can't remember anyone ever getting injured for playing guitar without wearing a helmet.
    Especially if you are surrounded by chicken-wire... ask the Blues Brothers.

BTW... Bronson's picture was in the latest edition of Guitar World magazine. His guitar player, Mike Landau, is a well-known studio musician and the mag had an article about modern-day studio players (hired guns). They had a pic of "Bronson and his group" (page 82 if you happen to see the magazine).

Turn Off Ads?