Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Robinson's Breakdown???

Frank Robinson's Breakdown???

I understand that he felt bad after taking a catcher out in mid inning, but it was a crucial time in the game. After the game he acted he just did the worst thing in the history of the universe......

I guess it's good that he cares about his players, though.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Frank Robinson's Breakdown???

Reds Fan Since 1971

Nothing wrong with caring.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I wonder if he would have cried if those 2 errors and 7 stolen bases would have cost them the game.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Definitely a way to endear yourself to your players.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

7 SBs and 2 errors? That guy deserved getting yanked like any pitcher. THere aint any rules stipulating that you cant be yanked mid inning for sucking it up.

The best part is, Fick comes in and gives up a PB on the 1st pitch!!!

"If you don't have a catcher, you're going to have a lot of passed balls."--Casey Stengel
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    7 SBs and 2 errors? That guy deserved getting yanked like any pitcher. THere aint any rules stipulating that you cant be yanked mid inning for sucking it up.
    The fact that there are no rules against it doesn't mean it's a common practice, or an easy decision for a manager to make. It's the same as pulling a hockey goalie when he's having an off night--it's frequently a necessity, but it doesn't mean the coach enjoys doing it.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Great moment. To me, that inteview said more about major league baseball than 99% of the highlights entertainment brought to you by ESPN.

One good turn deserves another.

June 28, 1907 - Washinton steal a record 13 bases off catcher Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    The best part is, Fick comes in and gives up a PB on the 1st pitch!!!

"If you don't have a catcher, you're going to have a lot of passed balls."--Casey Stengel
    I was listening to that game coming home from work when Robinson pulled LeCroy. Fick just came off the DL and hadn't caught all season. I thought it was a more questionable move for him put Fick in since he hadn't caught a pitch all season. But I guess Robby was desparate.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I wonder if Joe Girardi would have dragged a catcher off the field by the ears for a performance like that. It's an interesting contrast between the two—a senior-citizen manager who worries about offending his players and a rookie manager who acts like he was the valedictorian of the old school.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    The fact that there are no rules against it doesn't mean it's a common practice, or an easy decision for a manager to make. It's the same as pulling a hockey goalie when he's having an off night--it's frequently a necessity, but it doesn't mean the coach enjoys doing it.
    IMO, that would be one of the toughest decisions to make as a manager. You know he had to be thinking about it before the inning started, but once the inning started, and went the way it did, he had to be torn. You never want to embarrass one of your own players, never. He had to, though. I've always had a lot of respect for Frank Robinson, as a player probably moreso than a manager. But, I have a lot more respect for him now, as a person, than ever before. Really a tough situation for him, and you could see the pain it caused him. BTW, Matt LeCroy didn't seem to even care. He knew he wasn't performing and understood the decision.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Robinson's tears are obscuring the fact that he replaced a bad catcher with a worse catcher. That's a dumb move. Fick's arm is not that much better than LeCroy's.

How about holding a conference with the pitcher and telling him to do a better job of holding the runners?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Robinson's tears are obscuring the fact that he replaced a bad catcher with a worse catcher. That's a dumb move. Fick's arm is not that much better than LeCroy's.

How about holding a conference with the pitcher and telling him to do a better job of holding the runners?
    I think what's obscured is that his GM tied his hands. His main option is Brian Schneider, who is on the DL. The GM went into the season without a true backup. The best defensive backup they were able to acquire was Wiki Gonzalez, and he's hurt as well, so Frank was basically left with option 999, and 999a. BTW, Frank and JimBo already got in an argument about this earlier this year--about the lack of a true backup catcher. JimBo decided to go with what they have and roll the dice.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?