Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frank Robinson's Breakdown???

Re: Frank Robinson's Breakdown???

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I think what's obscured is that his GM tied his hands. His main option is Brian Schneider, who is on the DL. The GM went into the season without a true backup. The best defensive backup they were able to acquire was Wiki Gonzalez, and he's hurt as well, so Frank was basically left with option 999, and 999a. BTW, Frank and JimBo already got in an argument about this earlier this year--about the lack of a true backup catcher. JimBo decided to go with what they have and roll the dice.
    Any National League team signing LeCroy is a huge mistake. Jimbo should have recognized that he's a "one tool player." (That doesn't sound good, but I'm going to let it ride.)
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Um, Jimbo, we might be able to help you out with that catching situation....

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I think what's obscured is that his GM tied his hands.
    Absolutely. Fick may not have necessarily been the better option, but LeCroy's performance left him with little choice. You simply can't leave a catcher in the game who has had 9 base runners advance on him (7 steals and 2 throwing errors). Fick was the only option Robinson had to turn to.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I've always liked ol' Frank. I like him even more now.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

IIRC, Fick has played C more recently than LeCroy before last evening.

I don't think this situation necessarily translates into carrying 3 catchers on the 25 man, but once Schneider went on the DL, they definitely should have invested in another one, rather than go with Wiki and the emergency headed monster of Fick/LeCroy.

Had Robinson not yanked LeCroy, the Astros would have swiped 20 bags on him. The Nats pitchers could have held each runner on the base, and they still would have swiped the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Um, Jimbo, we might be able to help you out with that catching situation....
    Let's talk.

Let the Javier Valentin to the Nats rumor start going now!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?