Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Honestly Confused about Dave Williams

Honestly Confused about Dave Williams

This is not an "I mourn Sean Casey" thread.

It's not hard to find press reports that Dave Williams is having trouble breaking 80 MPH. Pitchers do NOT get to the major leagues without being able to throw 80. That just doesn't happen.

I'm left wondering...None of the parties involved have so much as whispered about Williams being damaged goods when he came over from the rats or since being shipped off to the Mets. His recovery year was last year so by all acounts his velocity should be back.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that the reds kept putting an injured pitcher on the mound. I'm left wondering was/is he hurt as a red?

If he wasn't hurt and those reports of his velocity are accurate, I'm left wondering if 8 starts was too many. I know they needed to justify the Casey deal and all.

For all we here about GAB inflating offense. Williams had 8 starts. 3 of those ended as quality starts. All three of those were at home.

I guess I'm of the same opinion here that I was with Josh Hancock. In a world where you cry about how hard starting pitching is to obtain and where pitching depth matters, why ditch him ? What's to be gained by it? He had an option. Go ahead and burn it by sending him to AAA. What do you lose?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Honestly Confused about Dave Williams

Trade Karma.

The Reds traded a bum arm in Jeff Brantley to the Cardinals for Dmitri Young. Ten years later it happens to them from the Pirates.

Williams consistently topped out at 86-88, in every start. Doesn't mean he isn't injured, but the problem has been lack of movement on his hardest (86-88) stuff.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff
    Williams consistently topped out at 86-88, in every start. Doesn't mean he isn't injured, but the problem has been lack of movement on his hardest (86-88) stuff.
    Exactly, there are plenty of pitchers who throw in the 86-88 range who are effective pitchers because they know how to locate their pitches and have plenty of movement on them. The problem is that pitchers who do not throw hard have a harder time hiding their lack of stuff the slower they pitch.

Turn Off Ads?