Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Notes (5/24)

Reds Notes (5/24)

05/24/2006 8:44 PM ET

Notes: Dunn, Lopez both have day off
    Narron informed the players of his plan after Tuesday's game
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Rare is the time you won't see Adam Dunn or Felipe Lopez starting a game for the Reds.
    An even rarer occasion is seeing Dunn and Lopez out of the lineup at the same time. Reds manager Jerry Narron gave his left fielder and shortstop the night off.

Narron informed the players of his plan after Tuesday's game. With the team getting a scheduled off-day on Thursday, both should return pretty fresh on Friday.

Dunn, 26, had been the only Reds player to start every game this season. He played 160 games in 2005, starting 153. In 2004, he started 156 of 161 games played.

"I'll be sitting around enjoying a big league baseball game," joked Dunn, who is batting .226 with 16 homers and 31 RBIs. "I get a couple of these a year."

Dunn, tied for second in the National League in homers, had a five-game hitting streak end Tuesday but is batting .184 in May.

This was only the second start in 47 games Lopez has missed. The 26-year-old has been Cincinnati's most consistent hitter lately with hits in 16 of his last 17 games, including a team-high 14 in a row.

"I don't like days off," said Lopez, whose 58 hits and 16 stolen bases lead the club. "But whatever [Narron] says. He's the boss."

Narron's Wednesday lineup definitely had a different look. Second baseman Brandon Phillips batted leadoff for the first time this year. The recently activated Cody Ross batted second and played left field. Utility infielder Rich Aurilia started at shortstop.

Lopez still saw action in Wednesday's 6-2 loss to Milwaukee. He entered the game during a seventh-inning double switch and went 0-for-1 with a groundout in his only at-bat.

No skipping: Thursday's off-day means starting pitchers, including top of the rotation members Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo, will make their next starts on five days' rest -- instead of the usual four. Narron chose not to skip Friday's scheduled starter, Eric Milton, to keep everyone on their regular schedule.

"We don't want him to sit there for over a week," Narron said of Milton, who hasn't pitched since returning from the disabled list with a five-inning start on Saturday at Detroit.

Happy home: Back-to-back wins over Milwaukee on Monday and Tuesday improved the Reds to 6-1-1 in home series this season. Cincinnati entered Wednesday 14-8 at home this season. The club was 42-39 at Great American Ball Park and under .500 at home the previous two seasons.

Narron said there was no particular home field advantage benefiting the Reds this season.

"I've always thought that if anything, the other clubs have the advantage because we've got guys that can hit the ball out of any ballpark," Narron said.

Seen and heard: Reds left-hander Kent Mercker threw on the side again Wednesday and had no issues with his elbow. Mercker is expected to come off the DL on Friday.

In his first start for Triple-A Louisville, pitcher Joe Mays allowed two earned runs and five hits over six innings in a 2-1 loss. Mays walked four and struck out five. A former Twins and Royals starter, he was signed to a Minor League contract on Friday.

Class A Dayton outfielder Jay Bruce and shortstop Eric Eymann used a day off to watch the Reds take batting practice on the field Wednesday. Both spent time talking with Ken Griffey Jr. and other players. Bruce was the organization's first-round draft pick last year.

Coming up: After taking an off-day on Thursday, the Reds will open a three-game series with the Diamondbacks on Friday. Milton (2-1, 7.04 ERA) will start the 7:10 p.m. ET opener against undefeated Arizona ace Brandon Webb (7-0, 2.44 ERA).

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Brewers' Davis earns win over Reds

Doug Davis held the Reds to two runs and five hits over seven innings to win on Wednesday night.

Reds manager Jerry Narron made things easier on Davis by sitting both Adam Dunn and Felipe Lopez, even though the team has Thursday off. Davis's K/BB ratio remains putrid (40/42 in 63 IP), but he is pitching better lately. He has a 3.38 ERA in five starts this month.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=178919&spln=1

Dayton Daily News
    By Hal McCoy / Staff Writer

Who’s a busher?

For those wondering why Milwaukee manager Ned Yost was ejected from Tuesday’s game after the bottom of the first inning, well, it involved something plate umpire Bill Welke said to Brewers outfielder Brady Clark.

During his at-bat, Clark stuck his elbow out as if trying to get hit by a pitch and Welke said, “That’s bush league.”

Clark told Yost what Welke said and when the half-inning ended Yost charged Welke, got in his face and was ejected.

“We’ve worked too hard to gain respect from the umpires the last few years for him to call us bush league,” said Yost. “That’s one thing I won’t stand for.”

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/c...redsnotes.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Notes (5/24)

It is bush league, but the ump shouldn't have said so. If Clark had succeeded in getting hit, I believe the ump could deny 1B because he didn't make an effort to avoid getting hit.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    It is bush league, but the ump shouldn't have said so. If Clark had succeeded in getting hit, I believe the ump could deny 1B because he didn't make an effort to avoid getting hit.
    You are correct, sir. That's one of the most improperly called rules in baseball, IMO.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    You are correct, sir. That's one of the most improperly called rules in baseball, IMO.
    I once called this when I was umpiring a league for 13 and 14 year olds. This pitcher couldn't throw strikes, plus he was a real, real soft tosser...one of the hitters from the other team, who was one of the bigger players, let a pitch hit him...he literally just stood their while the pitch hit him. I called that he didn't make an effort to get out of the way...and he walked on the next pitch.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    File under Craig Biggio.

You take Dunn and Lopez out of the lineup and you've just decreased your chances for a win.

Has the game evolved/changed that much that it's causing so much mental pressure on the players that they need days off?

I might be able to fathom it if it was the second half of the season. But in April and May?

I'm just finishing up reading two books on the Reds and BRM. And Sparky related stories where he scratched guys out of the lineup for sickness, minor injury, and even if they didn't (career-wise) fair well against the scheduled opposing pitcher.

And players in the locker room said they could hear Sparky and so-and-so really going at it when that player found out they weren't in the lineup.

But when all was said and done - they were in there.

Is it because the level of individual competitiveness is not the same? That players are in the game more for the huge amounts of money to be made?

I guess, after 40+ years of watching/playing the game, I just don't see it.

Try taking Pete Rose out of the lineup for a "day off" and see what would have happened.

But I guess we have plenty of games left in the season, so we can play fool-hearty with a few of them.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I imagine part of Narron's decision weighed in on the fact that with wins on Mon & Tues they had won the series also with ARI coming in he wanted everyone ready to try to win that series as well. I did find it odd that both got the same day off but if them losing on Wed means that they will win 2 0f 3 this weekend then fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I might be able to fathom it if it was the second half of the season. But in April and May?
    I tend to agree. An oppressively hot afternoon game in July or August, especially if it happens to be a weaker team of a poor pitcher. Unfortunately those chances don't always come along at just the right moment. I tend to believe it's more of a "feel" thing with the manager. You just have to hope the manager in question has a good feel.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Maybe Ned would have been happier with "excuse me, Mr. Clark, but I do believe you were improper to place your padded elbow over the plate in an attempt to allow the ball to hit you with the expectation that you would be awarded first base as a hit batsman. Forgive me for pointing this out, but that would be a violation of the rules for baseball and I would not be able to do so. I'm ever so sorry to be the bearer of such bad tidings, but I did not write the rules, I simply enforce them. Good day, sir, and please enjoy the evening's competition." That would have to include a tip of the cap, as well.

Gentlemen Ned, who knew.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

I'm just finishing up reading two books on the Reds and BRM. And Sparky related stories where he scratched guys out of the lineup for sickness, minor injury, and even if they didn't (career-wise) fair well against the scheduled opposing pitcher.

And players in the locker room said they could hear Sparky and so-and-so really going at it when that player found out they weren't in the lineup.

But when all was said and done - they were in there.
    :
    The great 8 only played like 88 games together in two years.
    Obviously a lot of times, they weren't in there.
    Everyone needs a day off now and then. If by day off we're talking about still showing up to the office, going through all the normal pre game things, and staying ready until the end of the game. Then going home at 11:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Haunted by walks

I do think there's more of a tendency of managers to "keep players fresh" throughout the season rather than the old school "play as hard as you can for as long as you can then you'll get a day off if you're winning." There didn't use to be bereavement leaves, and managers leaving to attend their daughter's graduation, and such things.

Harry Wendelstedt ruled that Dick Deitz didn't attempt to get out of the way of a pitched ball that hit him with the bases loaded in 1968 when Don Drysdale was close to breaking Walter Johnson's record for consecutive scoreless innings. It is the only time I can recall the rule being applied.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Brady will forever be one of my favorite players. If he stuck his arm out to try to get hit, that is pure Bush league. Welke, IMO, was right to tell him too. I would rather have seen Brady get nicked and then be denied 1B. That did not happen so I don't have any problem with Welke sticking to his guns and standing up for the game. I'd say there is a 50/50 shot that Brady will not do that again. I'd love to see an umpire stand up to Biggio and Kendall.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'd say there is a 50/50 shot that Brady will not do that again.
    He did it 2 at bats later, they showed it on the replay.

Guys from Portland are scrappy.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    He did it 2 at bats later, they showed it on the replay.

Guys from Portland are scrappy.
    Crap. I was watching closely to see if he did it again (the first time was so blatant)... and I missed it!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?