Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Marlins acquire Cody Ross for PTBNL

Merged: Marlins acquire Cody Ross for PTBNL

Cody Ross was traded to the Marlins. Good thing he got to start on Wednesday.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: QM gets to stay

Who'd we get in return?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Who'd we get in return?
    Don't know although Ross joked it was some guy named Willis.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Cody Ross was traded to the Marlins. Good thing he got to start on Wednesday.
    Im guessing he played so the Marlins could see what they were getting in him and to make sure he was healthy again.

It sounds like he should be getting some playing time with the Marlins according to Lancasters blog.

The fish didn't want Q?
    Go Gators!

This is from Marc's blog. So far they don't know who is coming from the Marlins but it will probably be a minor leaguer.

The Reds made room for Kent Mercker to come off the DL by trading Cody Ross to the Florida Marlins today. Not sure yet who Cincinnati got back.

"Some guy named Willis?" Ross joked.

Actually, it'll be a minor leaguer of some sort. Ross is bouncing off the walls with giddiness that he'll get to go somewhere and play. Though we barely got to know him around here, he's a great guy and we at the blog wish him well.

Marlins acquire Cody Ross

dont know who is going the other way yet...
    [QUOTE]Cody Ross dealt to Marlins

The Reds made room for Kent Mercker to come off the DL by trading Cody Ross to the Florida Marlins today. Not sure yet who Cincinnati got back.

"Some guy named Willis?" Ross joked.

Actually, it'll be a minor leaguer of some sort. Ross is bouncing off the walls with giddiness that he'll get to go somewhere and play. Though we barely got to know him around here, he's a great guy and we at the blog wish him well.
    [QUOTE]

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
    woo woo woo, you know it

Re: Marlins acquire Cody Ross

*sigh*
    Back to 12 pitchers
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I guess Quinton McCracken is the new Jason Romano.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It's a PTBNL

So, will we get a better Player to be named than we give to LA? Or do I have my Rosses confused?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    So, will we get a better Player to be named than we give to LA? Or do I have my Rosses confused?
    Better, perhaps not...but it will be a different one! (hopefully).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Re: Merged: Marlins acquire Cody Ross for PTBNL

Do you think this could be a setup for another trade or waiver claim? The Reds now only have 38 players on the 40 man roster. This could be to either acquire players in a trade or make some waiver wire claims.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    *sigh*
    Back to 12 pitchers
    I'm with ya. Why do we need 12 pitchers?!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Re: Merged: Marlins acquire Cody Ross for PTBNL

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...6/c1473117.jsp
    Notes: Ross sent packing ... again
    05/26/2006 8:46 PM ET
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Outfielder Cody Ross' Friday began with a phone call from Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky.
    "Cody, I've got some good news and some bad news," Krivsky said from the other end of the line. "The bad news is you're not with the Reds anymore. The good news is you're still in the big leagues."

The club needed to clear space on the 25-man roster because it activated reliever Kent Mercker from the 15-day disabled list before Friday's game against Arizona. Ross learned he was dealt to the Marlins. Cincinnati will get a player to be named later or cash considerations in return.

"Some Willis guy, I'm not sure," Ross joked.

No, the Reds won't be getting superstar Dontrelle Willis out of this move.

Ross' tenure with the Reds lasted all of five at-bats in two games.

Cincinnati acquired Ross on April 24 from the Dodgers for a player to be named later after he was designated for assignment by Los Angeles. The 25-year-old went 1-for-5.

Ross' first at-bat was memorable. A Roy Oswalt fastball hit his hand while he struck out against Houston on April 28, causing a deep bruise on his left pinky. It put him on the disabled list until he was activated on Tuesday. He started in left field on Wednesday.

Knowing Ross had been designated a month earlier, Krivsky wanted to avoid making him go through it again. Ross would have had to sweat it out for a maximum 10-day period before either clearing waivers to the Minors or being picked up by another club.

"I started calling teams and tried to find a spot where someone wanted him," Krivsky said. "I wasn't looking so much for the return as I was keeping a player in the Major Leagues somewhere."

The rebuilding Marlins are stocked with young players. Ross knew that not every GM looks out for a player he's trying to unload.

"It's probably a little better opportunity to play a little bit more. I'll jump-start my career, hopefully," said Ross, who was batting .421 (8-for-19) with two homers and nine RBIs in 10 combined games for the Dodgers and Reds.

"I knew something had to go down today with Mercker coming off the DL," Ross added. "I just thanked [Krivsky] for giving me an opportunity to go somewhere and play. He could have designated me, made me wait it out or send me through waivers. He made a deal for me. Hopefully, it'll work out for me."

Mercker ready: Mercker will return to his usual late-inning set-up spot. Although Chris Hammond did well in filling the role, Reds manager Jerry Narron was happy to be at full strength again.

"Just having Merck back out there makes me feel a lot better," Narron said.

Mercker was placed on the DL on May 14, retroactive to May 11, because of inflammation in his left elbow. He took a cortisone shot and has had no trouble throwing on the side. It remains to be seen how often Narron will be able to use him.

"I'd like to see how he feels after the first time he goes out there," Narron said. "Whether we'll back him up the day after that, I don't know."

Seen and heard: Since Arizona starter Brandon Webb has better numbers against right-handers than left-handers (.230 opposing average compared to .305), Narron altered his lineup some, starting switch-hitting catcher Javier Valentin.

Righty-hitting third baseman Edwin Encarnacion was dropped to the eighth spot for the first time this season.

"It might be the only time he hits eighth all year," Narron said.

Injured right-hander Paul Wilson (shoulder) long-tossed in the outfield on Friday afternoon. There was no word on when Wilson will face hitters again in simulated games or on a rehab assignment.

Fuel the jet: Krivsky spent Thursday visiting Double-A Chattanooga with chief executive officer Bob Castellini and Minor League director Johnny Almaraz. The group flew on Castellini's personal jet and later went to Knoxville, where the Lookouts played a road game Thursday night.

"He wanted to see the facility," Krivsky said. "It gave him the chance to see Chattanooga and also see our team play."

Coming up: Aaron Harang will be the Reds' starter in Saturday's 6:10 p.m. ET game against the Diamondbacks. Right-hander Juan Cruz is scheduled to start for Arizona.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

That was a classy move with Ross.

Turn Off Ads?