Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RISP not important?

RISP not important?

For all of you that posted the comment about the Reds pathetic RISP average not mattering because we still score plenty of runs, what now? What do you have to say for yourself now after the Reds wasted three perfect opportunities to score from third base with one out? Runners in scoring position average doesn't matter? Bull crap. I don't know the stats, but I would bet money that if you compared our RISP average in April to the one in May, the April one would be much better. The end result? A winning April. What does May hold? Another failure of a month...a losing May once again. Why? It's not been the pitching for the most part. RISP. RISP. RISP. I think I made myself clear.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: RISP not important?

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    For all of you that posted the comment about the Reds pathetic RISP average not mattering because we still score plenty of runs, what now?
    Batting average is an inferior statistic to use when calculating RISP productivity when compared to SLG percentage. Hit value matters, especially considering that I'd like my chances in a footrace with a full half of the Reds "everyday 8." Right now the Reds are slugging .453 with RISP as opposed to .444 in normal situations (OPSing .810 w/ RISP v. .794 w/o). They're right in line with where they usually are, meaning "productive."

But, even if you insist on using BA here you go:

Ken Griffey Jr.: .370 w/ RISP
    Brandon Phillips: .333 w/ RISP
    Felipe Lopez: .306 w/ RISP
    Austin Kearns: .303 w/ RISP
    Edwin Encarnacion: .298 w/ RISP
    Rich Aurillia: .241 w/ RISP
    Scott Hatteberg: .211 w/ RISP
    Adam Dunn: .174 w/ RISP
    LaRue/Valnetine: .143 w/ RISP

There's your everyday 8 in that group -- and a full half are hitting roughly .300 or better w/ RISP. Not that it matters because, as has been shown in countless other posts, it's SLG and OPS that really matter for run production.

What do you have to say for yourself now after the Reds wasted three perfect opportunities to score from third base with one out? Runners in scoring position average doesn't matter?
    I'd say that if three opportunities was enough to make sweeping judgments, Luke Hudson would've won a Cy Young 2 seasons ago. Yeah, they struggled recently and it makes you mad as a fan -- I was mad earlier tonight, but common sense always prevails. The team is scoring tons of runs -- but even great teams are going to get shut down now and then. Even the Red Sox and the Yankees lose games.

Bull crap. I don't know the stats, but I would bet money that if you compared our RISP average in April to the one in May, the April one would be much better. The end result? A winning April.
    The Reds were hitting better in all facets of their game in April. They hit .267 w/ .362/.468/.831 in April vs. .254 and .336/.417/.753 in May thus far. They haven't been gathering extra base hits with the same regularity this month -- the doubles total has fallen from 57 to 34 and HRs are down as well, though not nearly as pronounced. Extra base hits produce runs -- the Reds haven't been getting enough of them.

What does May hold? Another failure of a month...a losing May once again. Why? It's not been the pitching for the most part. RISP. RISP. RISP. I think I made myself clear.
    Your opinion is crystal clear. Facts, on the other hand, would've been helpful in showing me that this post was anything other than just angry ranting after a game.

And a little bit of calm/civility kills no one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Tonight was a perfect example of lack of defense and lack of timely hitting equates to a loss. Ofcourse, you have to give some credit to Webb, there is a reason why he is now 8-0. Best defense in National League has a lot to do with it. Its a lot easier to pitch when you know the defense behind you is going to make the big plays. I am curious what was going through Milton mind tonight as he saw the defense give it up and the offense fail to get a timely hit.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

We have some fine young talented players.

Let'em play and learn now. That's how you improve your future.

FeLo and EE will help this team win a lot more games than Milton ever will.

Eric did deserve to win though.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-27-2006 at 04:23 AM.

Hatteberg and Dunn are both poor hitters with RISP so why then are they continually placed in RBI slots in the order at #5 and #6 on most days? Dunn is given chance after chance to bring in runners and fails on most occasions. Drop him in the order and let Valentin at #8 drive him in after he walks.

I give Narron some blame for this loss. After 2 failed attempts to bring in a runner from 3rd with only 1 out, he should have called for Lopez to squeeze in the run. It is nothing short of ridiculous to think that with a drawn in infield against one of the best groundball pitchers in baseball that it was going to work on the 3rd try. Narron didn't have the guts to make the call so a fine pitched game by Milton was wasted.

Have you lost your mind?

Maybe, which portion?

Quote Originally Posted by RAS
    Maybe, which portion?
    I just hope I never see the day Dunn bats 7th and depends on Javy Valintin to drive him in.

Dunn's 3-4 day wasn't enough I guess, nobody on base for him..also his fault
    Go Gators!

You're darn right becasue if you stick someone out there on 3rd base, he'd take a called 3rd strike just like he does most nights. I think it's called "choking"

You're darn right becasue if you stick someone out there on 3rd base, he'd take a called 3rd strike just like he does most nights. I think it's called "choking"
    Wow...you've got one mighty chrystal ball there. Care to let the rest of us know the lottery numbers for tonight?

Ok, hitting 3-4 one night does not make up for his horrible slump, but some of the posts in this thread are proof positive that some people hate Dunn no matter what he does.

Hatteberg and Dunn are both poor hitters with RISP so why then are they continually placed in RBI slots in the order at #5 and #6 on most days? Dunn is given chance after chance to bring in runners and fails on most occasions. Drop him in the order and let Valentin at #8 drive him in after he walks.
    Drop him? How about putting him in the #2 slot because he does get on base. They currently have a guy batting #2 whose OB% rivals Womack's (.262 career).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I completely agree. Dunn should be moved from the middle of the lineup. He is not a Rbi man so why have him in RBI situations. His game is getting on base and hitting homers so it seems to me that the best place for him is the leadoff spot. That way he is on base for others to drive him in and he gets more at bats which means more homeruns. Plus Lopez likes second better and Freel is out of the equation for the most part, for now. Dunn doesn't change what he does no matter the situation which is why he struggles in key situations. Pitchers bare down when in jams and just exploit his weaknesses because he is still trying to swing for the fences instead of picking up the runs. Don't get me wrong I love Dunn but we should use him for what he is great at instead of hoping he becomes a prototypical power, rbi guy. Its no coincidence that Griffey's homers are 3 and 4 run shots and dunns are solo's. Griffey knows how to adjust in big situations, Dunn doesn't. But he is still great at what he does.

Turn Off Ads?