Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: End the 1B Platoon

End the 1B Platoon

Narron might be pleased by the results he's seen from the 1B platoon of Hatteberg and Aurilia. But I can't say I share his confidence.

With the season now roughly one-third gone, the 1B platoon has collected 22 RBI and 25 runs. Those are substandard results from an offensive position, especially coupled with Hatteberg and Aurilia not being plus-defenders at 1B.

I'm not out to pillory these two players. The front office, both the O'Brien and Krivsky incarnations, must shoulder the lion's share of the blame for jettisoning Casey without bringing on board a decent replacement.

From all appearances, Dano intended to move Dunn to fill the gap, while Krivsky negated that decision. Both might have been right for their own reasons, but the chaotic management transition has left 1B dangling. It's not quite the same boondoogle as the bullpen, but it's a fluid, unresolved position that will have to get settled sometime this off-season, if not this summer.

Just to demonstrate how far 1B has fallen off the offensive map, here are the RBI and Run totals for the '06 Reds, by position, so far this summer.

RBI
    2B = 37
    LF = 30
    RF = 30
    CF = 30
    3B = 30
    1B = 22
    C = 21
    SS = 17

Runs Scored

LF = 36
    SS = 35
    RF = 32
    2B = 31
    3B = 29
    1B = 25
    CF = 20
    C = 17

In both RBI and runs scored, what we're seeing is 1B reduced to the same levels of production as traditional defensive-oriented positions -- C, SS, CF-- and far trailing the production we're getting from RF, LF, 3B, even 2B. Doesn't cut it, in my book.

I'm not lamenting the Casey trade -- only the platoon that has arisen in his absence. Also, to repeat, I have no particular axe to grind against Aurilia or Hatteberg. They both bring certain qualities to the table that make them great reserves for the Reds -- Aurilia's IF versatility and power against LH pitchers; Hatteberg's patience and OBP.

But this 1B platoon should not be held too sacred or last too much longer or puffed up too much by Narron. Having erased Dano's plan covering the successor issue for Casey, it's time for Krivsky to reveal his own long-term answer, a palatable and productive answer, a true solution and not just a stopgap.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: End the 1B Platoon

At the end of May last year, Casey had 22 RBI's.

Casey also, thru last May, had a - .369 OB% .430 SLG% = .799 OPS

This year at 1B...

Aurilia - .381 OB% .655 SLG% = 1.036 OPS
    Hatteberg - .407 OB% .429 SLG% = .836 OPS

So collectively, as a 1Bman - .394 OB% .542 SLG% = .936 OPS

And they are far, far cheaper then Mr "GIDP" Casey.

So No, I don't mind the platoon at all.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-27-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I usually don't like platoons, but this year I don't mind much. We're getting Sean Casey like numbers for alot less. I do think Wayne will address this and hopefully we'll have long-term everyday first baseman next year. I do think Aurilia needs to be in the lineup everyday. If not first, then wherever around the infield. We need him in the cleanup spot every night. He makes the lineup more balanced.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Also, remember these guys are time fillers. Votto is working his way up, the classic power hitting type first baseman. For this season I'm alright with what the Reds are getting at first base.

I think Wayne will address this in the offseason. When he came on board, his first priority was to address pitching (as it should've been). At the time, Hattenberg was the best available. I know some people wanted Carlos Pena, but I don't think he's doing that well (as is the guy that traded to the A's as part of the lopez deal, the name escapes me). Also, both those guys only came available after Hattenberg was signed (although I guess we could've done without 3 catchers).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm really not too concerned about the offensive production... it's pretty much a wash, except it takes two roster spots to get equivalent results. Is the trade off on salary worth the extra roster spot? I don't know; maybe.

Anyway, my bigger concern is the defensive loss. No matter what anyone says about Casey, he could scoop with the best of them and more often than not, he'd have snagged those errant wide throws that I believe have cost the Reds two games already.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I'm really not too concerned about the offensive production... it's pretty much a wash, except it takes two roster spots to get equivalent results. Is the trade off on salary worth the extra roster spot? I don't know; maybe.

Anyway, my bigger concern is the defensive loss. No matter what anyone says about Casey, he could scoop with the best of them and more often than not, he'd have snagged those errant wide throws that I believe have cost the Reds two games already.
    I am not worried about the roster spot. When one of them are sitting the bench, they become the best pinch hitter on the bench which is far better than Cruz was last year. Both has the ability to hit the long ball and also have bat control for a base hit. So I am happy with it.

I am just glad Rich resigned with us this year.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The platoon is a 1 season cheap alternative.

By trading Casey, we were able to sign Dunn to his LTC, and if the stars align, and if the moon is full, we just might see him @ 1B next year, but perhaps that's wishful thinking.

Hatteberg's approach at the plate justifies the platoon, and Aurillia is tolerable over there, if nothing else. I don't know that I'd want WK going out and throwing money around the league for an everyday 1B when I keep clinging to the hope that in 2007, #44 will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by alexad
    I am not worried about the roster spot. When one of them are sitting the bench, they become the best pinch hitter on the bench which is far better than Cruz was last year. Both has the ability to hit the long ball and also have bat control for a base hit. So I am happy with it.
    Wasn't Cruz the best pinch hitter in the league last year? Are either RA or SH better? Or are they again using two roster spots to get the same results supplied by one guy last year?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

We must remember that Aurilia offers more than 1st base w/ his spot. He can play the other three infield spots as well. 1st base was not really his "primary spot" before this year, but has become that with Encarnacion/Lopez/Phillips manning the other positions. Hatteberg is definitely a 1st baseman, but Aurilia's roster spot offers more than that in this regard.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The 1B platoon is the least of this teams problems right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    The 1B platoon is the least of this teams problems right now.

What is amazing is the fact going into the season we had the sticks to win and the bullpen to keep it close for the sticks. We were all worried about the starting pitching.

Well heading into June, the hitting is not super strong and can not win games when we need a run, the bullpen is a bunch of aging souls who at one time were considered decent. The starting pitching is starting to look pretty dang good. How many games have the starters given up 1 run or less and we can not score runs. Milton deserved a win last night, BA has had a great game with no runs, In fact Williams pitched great for 8 innings and the runs were not there.

It seems when the starters give a ton of runs, the offense comes to play. In tight games, the offense has been lost in the crowd eating hotdogs and apple pie........
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

got alil captain in u?

i personally don't mind the platoon rich maybe needs to get a few more starts than hatte beacuse of the way he evens out our lineup but anythin'gs better than casey

They both can't field wortha lick, and the Hat hasn't been driving in any runs.

I am not worried per say about they plantoon, but it isn't very good.

Combine them, get the 6 million dollar man people on the line.

We could use an extra roster spot.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?