Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans

Re: Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans

Thanks for the update OBM. I am glad to see we signed Robbie Nickols and that we get extra time to sign Milton Loo. So far we signed 2 of our 8 draft and follows and still a chance with Loo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    He doesn't know. But it gives the Reds extra time to sign him.

I just emailed him back and he said the Reds did in fact sign 6'5" 215 lefty Robbie Nickols. Nickols supposedly throws in the low to mid 90's, and he along with Loo was the one I wanted them to sign.

The fact that they signed Nickols is encouraging at least - it shows they are trying to upgrade the organization.
    Agreed...a few years ago these guys might have been afterthoughts.

Please do not post premium content from Baseball America. We have been contacted by their attorneys regarding this matter. Thank you. -GIK (5.31.06)

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I think someone's likely to burst that bubble. In fact, Boras had better pray Hochevar's off the board by the time the Giants draft at #10 because if there's one guy who'll have no fear of not signing his top pick it's Brian Sabean. He usually punts his top pick (impossible to do this year because the club's 2005 record). He may have a dim view of what he can get at #10 anyway and he'll almost surely want to save some scratch.

Right now Boras is working on nothing but chutzpah vis-a-vis Hochevar. Maybe he'll find a sucker, but I'm guessing that someone shrewd may upset his plans.
    While the Giants front office has shown in the past that it prefers free agency over the draft in terms of building their teams, I don't think they'd go so far as that. Something tells me they'll go with a guy they can sign for a reasonable price.

If Hochevar falls out of the Top 10, I expect the Diamondbacks or Cubs to take him. Both clubs have worked extensively with Boras in the past and have had good track records with him. Boras has been known to steer his clients towards certain teams (see: Mark Pawelek's deal last year with the Cubs), so it wouldn't surprise me if he does it again.

One Man Army

Sean O'Sullivan just signed with the Angels. He had a ton of hype out of HS, but has been inconsistent since his senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    While the Giants front office has shown in the past that it prefers free agency over the draft in terms of building their teams, I don't think they'd go so far as that. Something tells me they'll go with a guy they can sign for a reasonable price.
    That's just the thing. If the Giants draft Hochevar, he's either a potentially big talent at a reasonable price or the franchise can then spend a lot less on a compensation pick next year. It's a great two-prong reasonable price plan, one where they don't have to make any talent compromises with that #10 pick in trying to get their price.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...int261491.html
    Angels Sign O'Sullivan

Braves, Padres sign several draft-and-follows as closed period begins

By Baseball America Staff
    May 30, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See also: Top Draft-And-Follows Re-Enter Draft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean O'Sullivan, one of the highest unsigned picks from last year's draft, became the highest draft-and-follow to sign this year when he agreed to terms with the Angels.

The Angels made O'Sullivan a third-round pick last year, and he decided to pitch at Grossmont (Calif.) College this spring rather than signing. One source with knowledge of the negotiations said he received a $500,000 bonus, which is about the same offer he turned down last fall.

"Sean had a great year for us and was a hard worker," Grossmont coach Randy Abshier said. "I'm excited for him that he gets to begin his professional career."

O'Sullivan entered 2005 as one of the top high school pitchers in the draft, and his inconsistent spring performance caused his stock to drop. He had committed to San Diego State but decided instead to attend junior college, which allowed him to go back into this year's draft if he didn't sign.

Teams retain negotiating rights for drafted players who attend junior college until a week before the next year's draft, which allows them to follow the players for a year before deciding whether to sign them. That's why the process is known as draft and follow.

O'Sullivan remained a potent two-way threat in junior college, finishing the season as Grossmont’s top hitter (.405-7-39) and pitcher (7-3, 1.87). He led his conference in batting and ranked second in ERA. He ranked No. 131 on Baseball America's Top 200 Prospects for the 2006 draft.

O’Sullivan's draft stock didn't rise with his performance, however. He struck out just 57 in 77 innings (while walking 12), and while his fastball and fastball command were still seen as pluses at times, his velocity varied. The consensus of scouts and junior-college coaches who saw him this spring was that O'Sullivan threw his best early in the season--at times sitting at 92-93 mph with a solid-average slider--and then throttled back, settling into the 87-90 range.

O'Sullivan will head to Arizona to the Angels extended spring training camp and then report to Rookie-level Orem in the Pioneer League.

--JOHN MANUEL

Padres Sign Trio

SAN DIEGO--The Padres got a jump on the 2006 draft by signing three pitchers from last year's crop: righthanders Aaron Breit, Drew Miller and Robert Garramone.

"This is huge for us," Padres scouting director Bill Gayton said. "All three are nice, tall-body kids. And all throw hard. This is great for us as we prepare for the draft."

Breit ranked No. 145 on Baseball America's Top 200 Prospects for the 2006 draft. He was a 12th-round pick last season out of Garden City (Kan.) Community College. He was 7-4 this season at Garden City with 93 strikeouts in 68 innings. Gayton said Breit's fastball has topped out at 95 mph. He had committed to play at Kansas next season. The Padres also drafted Breit on the 46th round in 2004 out of Thomas Moore Prep in Hays, Kan.

Miller ranked No. 197 on BA’s Top 200. He was a 37th-round pick last season out of Seminole (Okla.) State Junior College. He had 76 strikeouts in 50 innings this season and had signed to play at Virginia. Gayton said Miller's fastball topped out at 96 mph.

Garramone, whose fastball has been clocked at 91 mph, was a 29th-round pick last year out of Denver North High.

"We've had a lot of success with draft-and-follow kids," Gayton said of a farm system whose best current hitting prospect, catcher George Kottaras, was a draft-and-follow signee. "We think we got three live arms here."

--JOHN MAFFEI

FOLLOW THROUGHS

• The Royals signed one of their most significant draft-and-follow choices in righthander Bryan Casey out of Arizona Western Junior College. Casey, a hard-throwing closer who also played third base, was headed to Pacific to both hit and pitch had he not signed. He received a $235,000 bonus.

• The Braves, as expected, were major draft-and-follow players and signed several of their top picks. Righthander Tommy Hanson, who used excellent command of his fastball to dominate California's juco ranks this spring at Riverside Community College, signed, as did slugging first baseman Tyler Flowers out of Chipola (Fla.) Junior College. Flowers hit 16 homers this spring and also plays catcher, though his defensive tools are below-average. Among the Braves other signees were Manatee (Fla.) Junior College righthander James Curtis and speedy College of Southern Nevada outfielder Cole Miles.

• The Dodgers signed two draft-and-follows, lefthander Schuyler Tripp and third baseman Brian Mathews. Tripp signed for a $15,000 bonus despite dropping out of Indian Hills (Iowa) CC this spring. He showed enough velocity and arm strength to merit signing while pitching at Perfect Game USA's pre-draft showcase in his native Iowa.

• Several high-profile draft-and-follows were still playing the Junior College World Series in Grand Junction, Colo. That included the 10 players under control at Yavapai (Ariz.) Junior College, a list that includes outfielder Shane Keough (Athletics) and infielder Milton Loo (Reds). Those players have until 48 hours after their team's final game to sign.

• Several fifth-year seniors have signed before the draft. The list includes Tennessee first baseman Chris Kemp, who signed with the Rangers after hitting .314-11-41 for the Vols this season; Southeastern Louisiana righthander Jeremy Mizell, who signed with the Mets as the Lions' career leader in innings and strikeouts (299 IP, 235 Ks); Citadel lefty Ryan Owens; and Iowa lefthander Tim Gudex, who signed the Cubs after posting back-to-back seasons with ERAs at 1.11 and 1.15. The Giants also signed righthander Ryan McGrath out of Division II Cal State Stanislaus.

Several high-profile draft-and-follows were still playing the Junior College World Series in Grand Junction, Colo. That included the 10 players under control at Yavapai (Ariz.) Junior College, a list that includes outfielder Shane Keough (Athletics) and infielder Milton Loo (Reds). Those players have until 48 hours after their team's final game to sign.
    Shane Keough is from The Real Housewives of Orange County fame. Just a stupid little tidbit I figured I'd throw out there.

Hopefully Krivisky can get Loo to sign. You figure he is probably worth 500k. I would also guess that he would sign for that, or maybe 600k.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Just another reason I love Redszone. You don't get stories like that in the mainstream media. Thanks a ton Coffeybro.
    Amen to that.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

One player still up in the air is middle infielder Milton Loo. Taken by the Reds in the ninth round, Loo's Yavapai JC team is still playing in the Juco World Series. Because he is still playing, the deadline is extended past the May 30 at midnight deadline for other DNFs. There will be a small window of opportunity for the Reds to get it done before Tuesday's draft, but it was unclear whether they would be able to come to terms with him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I sincerely hope someone drafts Hochevar and lowballs him (something slightly below slot money). He's got no leverage. No way he'll have a big market after not signing twice.

Never ever ever pass on an opportunity to put Scott Boras over a barrel.

And is Matt Harrington really one of Hochevar's teammates? All the more reason to call Hochevar's name and then give him a ridiculously low offer that he can take or leave...

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    And is Matt Harrington really one of Hochevar's teammates? All the more reason to call Hochevar's name and then give him a ridiculously low offer that he can take or leave...
    Luke: Man, no way am I settling for that offer. I'll just go back into the draft and get my money next year!

Matt: Uh, I think I'd take it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

CLOCK TICKING - As the Reds continue preparations for this year's draft, which begins Tuesday, there still are some loose ends from last year to attend to.

First on that list is attempting to sign infielder Milton Loo of Yavapai (Ariz.) College, the Reds' eighth-round draft pick last year. The Reds reportedly offered the native Hawaiian - whom they also drafted but couldn't sign in 2004 - a $200,000 bonus last summer. He opted to return to Yavapai and ended up hitting .351 with 14 doubles, four triples and five homers while stealing 32 bases during the regular season.

Yavapai is currently participating in the National Junior College World Series in Colorado, and the Reds won't be able to finalize anything with Loo until his season is complete. They hold his rights until 48 hours after his team's final game.

"We've got time to sign him," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. "We're in contact."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....606010328/1035

Loo homered yesterday to help his team win and stay alive. They play an elimination game today.

http://www.postindependent.com/artic...ORTS/106010031
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-01-2006 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    CLOCK TICKING - As the Reds continue preparations for this year's draft, which begins Tuesday, there still are some loose ends from last year to attend to.

First on that list is attempting to sign infielder Milton Loo of Yavapai (Ariz.) College, the Reds' eighth-round draft pick last year. The Reds reportedly offered the native Hawaiian - whom they also drafted but couldn't sign in 2004 - a $200,000 bonus last summer. He opted to return to Yavapai and ended up hitting .351 with 14 doubles, four triples and five homers while stealing 32 bases during the regular season.

Yavapai is currently participating in the National Junior College World Series in Colorado, and the Reds won't be able to finalize anything with Loo until his season is complete. They hold his rights until 48 hours after his team's final game.

"We've got time to sign him," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. "We're in contact."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....606010328/1035

Loo homered yesterday to help his team win and stay alive. They play an elimination game today.

http://www.postindependent.com/artic...ORTS/106010031
    Glad to see Krivsky acknowledging the situation...I say they get him.

Loo projects as a second or third rounder this year. Signing him is basically like picking up an additional high pick in this draft.

We need to get this done.

Turn Off Ads?