Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans

Re: Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...int261479.html
    Top Draft-And-Follows Re-Enter Draft
    By Jim Callis
    May 30, 2006

The 2006 draft crop may be the worst since 2000, but it just got better at midnight Tuesday. The top three draft-and-follow prospects from 2005 failed to come to terms with the teams that held their rights, infusing this year's talent pool with three more first-round-caliber righthanders.

That Luke Hochevar and the Dodgers wouldn't reach an agreement was a foregone conclusion. But the breakups between Pedro Beato and the Mets and Bryan Morris and the Devil Rays came as a surprise.

Hochevar tied for the NCAA Division I lead with 15 wins and led Tennessee to the College World Series in 2005, when he rated as the second-best starting pitcher in the draft. He was a candidate to go No. 1 overall to the Diamondbacks before questions about his signability dropped him to Los Angeles at No. 40.

Negotiations proceeded slowly over the summer before coming to a head on Labor Day weekend. Hochevar switched agents from Scott Boras to Matt Sosnick and agreed to a $2.98 million bonus. Then he switched back to Boras, reneged on the deal and accused the Dodgers of trying to force him into a bad deal. At that point, it became nearly impossible to reach an agreement in which both sides could come out as winners.

Hochevar joined the Fort Worth Cats of the independent American Association this spring, and each of his starts has drawn flocks of scouts. He has shown a 90-97 mph fastball and a mid-80s slider while flashing a plus curveball. His command and stamina understandably aren't in peak form after his 10-month layoff, but he has looked similar to how he did in early 2005. He probably won't require much time in the minors.

Hochevar's asking price reportedly is a $4 million big league contract similar to the deal fellow Boras client Craig Hansen got when he fell to the Red Sox as the No. 26 choice a year ago. Industry insiders expect that Hochevar will find a taker in a thin draft. The Mariners, who own the fifth overall pick and desperately need pitching prospects, have been mentioned with Hochevar more than any other club. The Royals (No. 1), Tigers (No. 6) and Diamondbacks (No. 11) also are possible destinations.

Where Beato and Morris will go in the draft is more uncertain. Most teams don't bother to scout other clubs' draft-and-follows very thoroughly, on the thinking that if they're good and signable then they'll sign with their controlling club. While it isn't known how far Beato and Morris were from signing, both are believed to have sought first-round money.

Clubs expected the Mets, who have plenty of money and gave up their 2006 first-rounder to sign free agent Billy Wagner, to get a deal done with Beato. They drafted him in the 17th round out of Brooklyn's Xavieran High in 2005, a year after he had Tommy John surgery.

Beato has made a full recovery and showed three plus pitches at times this spring at St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC: a low-90s sinker that touches 96 mph, a sharp mid-80s slider and a changeup. He has a classic pitcher's build at 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds and just needs to smooth out his mechanics and command.

The Devil Rays selected Morris in the third round out of Tullahoma (Tenn.) High last June, and they eventually agreed on a $1.4 million bonus. But Tampa Bay's former front office twice delayed finalizing the deal, prompting Morris to attend Motlow State (Tenn.) CC, where his father Ricky is an assistant coach.

Morris' maintained his quality stuff this spring, showing his trademark power curveball and a 90-95 mph fastball with late life. He led Tennessee juco pitchers with a 0.91 ERA and also pulled double duty as a center fielder, a role in which he broke a bone in his left wrist on a headfirst slide. As with Beato, Morris' mechanics and command could use some improvement.

"At the end of the day, we couldn’t reach an agreement," Devil Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said. "We wish him well in the future. Now we’re focused on the upcoming draft."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1999-2006 Baseball America Inc. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. All rights reserved.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I emailed John Manuel of Baseball America and ask him if Loo had signed with the Reds. His response:

Not yet, his team is playing in the NJCAA World Series, and he wants to play for his team before signing a pro contract. He has until 48 hours until after his team is done playing to sign.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

So does that mean he will sign?

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever
    So does that mean he will sign?
    He doesn't know. But it gives the Reds extra time to sign him.

I just emailed him back and he said the Reds did in fact sign 6'5" 215 lefty Robbie Nickols. Nickols supposedly throws in the low to mid 90's, and he along with Loo was the one I wanted them to sign.

The fact that they signed Nickols is encouraging at least - it shows they are trying to upgrade the organization.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

OBM, you are the man!

I was thinking to myself, Loo is playing still....wouldnt it be against policy for him to sign. I really hope they are serious about signing him and offer him a 6 figure bonus to sign. Does anyone know what they had offered him last year?

I sincerely hope someone drafts Hochevar and lowballs him (something slightly below slot money). He's got no leverage. No way he'll have a big market after not signing twice.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

It was kinda funny thinking back to when Todd was signed after reading this article. Steve Kring wanted to initially draft and follow Todd. Todd ended up convincing Steve to sign him instead of Steve convincing Todd to go to junior college. I guess the convincing moment was when Todd showed Steve the box full of college offers from big name baseball schools, then dropped the box and kicked it saying he wanted to be in the majors.
    Last edited by Coffeybro; 05-30-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Nice story Coffeybro, that is classic stuff right there.

Just another reason I love Redszone. You don't get stories like that in the mainstream media. Thanks a ton Coffeybro.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I sincerely hope someone drafts Hochevar and lowballs him (something slightly below slot money). He's got no leverage. No way he'll have a big market after not signing twice.
    Jim Callis answered a question on this a few days ago.

Q: Frank from Denver asks:
    Here's what I don't understand. Why not draft Hochevar and offer him the same bonus that the Dodgers were willing to give him- with no room for negotiation? It seems highly unlikely to me that he has much negotiating power- he's not going to sit out another year. Even with Boras as his agent, he won't want to become the next #1 pick working at Best Buy.

A: Jim Callis: I had this conversation with someone today. How does Hochevar have any leverage, really? Why not offer him the $2.98 million he initially agreed to, or even slot money based on where he goes in the draft. Is he really going to sit out another year. Yet I continue to hear he'll get a major league contract. Fort Worth Cats teammate Matt Harrington must be shaking his head.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Does anyone know what they had offered him last year?
    I read one report saying they'd offered him $200,000 -- I assume that was last year. Would have been good $ for a 9th round choice.

I assume they'll make a solid offer for him, but I don't expect them to go as high as a million. I'd guess more in the $500,000 to $700,000 range. Just guessing though.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Last year they signed Travis Wood at $600,000 for the second round. Loo is projected as the 60 something best prospect by BA, so that seems about right. I think your idea of 5-700,000 is about right.

Last year they signed Travis Wood at $600,000 for the second round. Loo is projected as the 60 something best prospect by BA, so that seems about right. I think your idea of 5-700,000 is about right.
    I think they'll sign him if they're at all interested in doing so. I don't see him going to LSU and using aluminum. He's been using wood at Yavapai for 2 years.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Bill Bavasi is way too desperate to make any sort of stand with Hochevar. I'm willing to bet cash he'll pick him and submit to whatever demands Hochevar and Boras want.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Jim Callis answered a question on this a few days ago.

Q: Frank from Denver asks:
    Here's what I don't understand. Why not draft Hochevar and offer him the same bonus that the Dodgers were willing to give him- with no room for negotiation? It seems highly unlikely to me that he has much negotiating power- he's not going to sit out another year. Even with Boras as his agent, he won't want to become the next #1 pick working at Best Buy.

A: Jim Callis: I had this conversation with someone today. How does Hochevar have any leverage, really? Why not offer him the $2.98 million he initially agreed to, or even slot money based on where he goes in the draft. Is he really going to sit out another year. Yet I continue to hear he'll get a major league contract. Fort Worth Cats teammate Matt Harrington must be shaking his head.
    I think someone's likely to burst that bubble. In fact, Boras had better pray Hochevar's off the board by the time the Giants draft at #10 because if there's one guy who'll have no fear of not signing his top pick it's Brian Sabean. He usually punts his top pick (impossible to do this year because the club's 2005 record). He may have a dim view of what he can get at #10 anyway and he'll almost surely want to save some scratch.

Right now Boras is working on nothing but chutzpah vis-a-vis Hochevar. Maybe he'll find a sucker, but I'm guessing that someone shrewd may upset his plans.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?