Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you go to games based on pitchers?

Re: Do you go to games based on pitchers?

Typically not...but I did go once a couple years ago specifically to see Roger Clemens pitch.

There haven't really been many Reds pitchers in my 31 years that I've actually wanted to see.

2. Turn Off Ads?

When I live in Cincinnati I went to a lot of games. Always bought top six and sat behind homeplate in the green. And I did go based on pitchers- from both sides. I would go if the other team had someone pitching that I wanted to see, too.

My bias is that I really like to watch a well pitched game and back then there were a few guys who consistently walked guys pitching for the Reds. It drove me nuts.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Can he be stopped?

I'll go if I have a free night off work. But I went today specifically to see Bronson because I hadn't seen him yet. And the next start Harang makes, I want to head down, I love watching him. But most of the games I've been to, I get stuck with Milton or Ramirez or BC on an off night. But im 2-0 this season!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Mostly I just go when I get the chance. I don't have a lot of evenings free and when I get a chance and the team is in town, I try to catch a game here and there. If I have a couple nights free, I will check out the rotation and figure out which pitcher will give me the best chance of seeing a win.

I usually go whenever I get the chance, but if a big name is pitching I'll sometimes be more inclined to go. Like in 2004 when Clemens pitched and everyone thought it could be his last time pitching in Cincy I made sure I went. The one wierd thing I notice is that it seems each year there is one pitcher I cannot stay away from. This year, 2/3 games I've gone to I've seen Claussen pitch. A couple years ago it was Jimmy Haynes. It's just a curse one me I swear.

I also agree with ORH, if I have both a Friday and Saturday night free and don't have the money or don't feel like going for both I'll usually look at the pitching matchups and decide that way but by and large I just go as often as I can.

A couple years ago I went to see Kerry Wood vs. the Reds to see if Wood would get a perfect game or 20 K's....sadly, he had the perfect game through 6 and sammy "juiced" one off the batters eye (dented it actually). I also like catching Dontrell if I can, even though I am diehard Reds fan, I like to see some of the best. It's one of those things when Im older I can say, I saw Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood, Dontrell Willis when they were at there best. I also saw Milton, Williams, Paul Wilson at there worst!

I call it the Milton Decree. It was ratified this spring on April 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I ask this question because I thought of going on Friday, then saw Milton vs. Webb and I didn't think we would have a chance of winning. Today we have Harang the Arroyo on Sunday. I'll attend Sunday most likely, and half the reason is because I feel we have a good chance of winning bc Arroyo has been great so far.

So does anyone else check out the matchups then decide if you are going not?
    When I can, I sure do. Back in 1993, I carefully calculated Nolan Ryan's turns and purchased tickets a week or so in advance. Dang if something didn't mess it up and he pitched the next night. Double dang, because it turned out to be the game Ventura charged Ryan on the mound and got his head thumped. I swear we were walking out of Six Flags and heard the uproar from the stadium. It had to be the fight because it was so prolonged.

BTW, Tim Belcher had just been traded to the White Sox and I'd hoped to see Ryan vs. Belcher but didn't see either.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    I call it the Milton Decree. It was ratified this spring on April 18th.
    He's 0-3 when I'm in attendance.

I'm never going again with him out there
    Go Gators!

Roster glue

Ugh. I had the displeasure of seeing Milton 5 times and Wilson thrice last season.

I agree with the prevailing number of replies...if the visiting team has a pitcher I really want to see, I will make it a point to go, especially these days when the unbalanced schedule may make it so out-of-division NL teams only come to Cincy once a season.

Turn Off Ads?