Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So...What's the Problem?

Re: So...What's the Problem?

Ok, so the Reds have scored one run or less in 12 of their last 43 games and been shutout 6 games overall, but the overall numbers are what matter. It's all about the overall. The Reds have a great hitting line up. Ask Tony Armas Jr. or Brandon Webb or Cole Hamel or Oliver Perez or Paul Maholm or Jon Leiber or Cluadio Vargas or Jeff Francis or basically anyone not named Hernandez.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    It's all about the overall.
    Orville Overall? Ex-Red pitcher who brought the Cubs' their last World Series in 1908?

Orville?
    Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

If the Reds' OPS went down in May as the Reds' scoring dropped, we may be close to the unified theory that brings the two sides together.

Reds offense

April-149 runs, .831 team OPS

May-100 runs, .745 team OPS

Reds offense walked 122 times in April and got on base at a .362 clip. In May they have only walked 88 times for a team OBP of .333 in 23 games.

As you can see, significant drop in OPS equals a significant drop in runs scored.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

So we can simply say they are in a slump.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I'm wondering why Freel hasn't been in a game lately. To be perfectly honest, I can't even remember the last game he started... he must be rested by now.

I'm in no way saying he should be a starter (I don't think he should be either), but it seems he could be out there a little more often than he has been lately. The ONLY reason I would like to see him is that he's a huge distraction on the basepaths and that could certainly benefit the Reds against some of these better pitchers.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I'm wondering why Freel hasn't been in a game lately. To be perfectly honest, I can't even remember the last game he started... he must be rested by now.

I'm in no way saying he should be a starter (I don't think he should be either), but it seems he could be out there a little more often than he has been lately. The ONLY reason I would like to see him is that he's a huge distraction on the basepaths and that could certainly benefit the Reds against some of these better pitchers.
    Freels game is speed, Freel pulled his groin earlier this year, that destroys his game. He's alot like a hockey player, his legs are his life... without them he's a bit player in the 3rd act.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Really?

Who was the last person not named Brandon Phillips to steal a base and when was it?
    I could care less. Point is the the Reds are 3rd in MLB in SB and 5th in SB%.

I understand that's inconvenient when you've insisted there's no diversity in the lineup, but that's what happens when you start with a baseless conclusion.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It seems the other teams have made adjustments to make the Reds look stupid at the plate.....unfortunately, the Reds haven't adjusted to the pitchers and their flaws are being exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    It seems the other teams have made adjustments to make the Reds look stupid at the plate.....unfortunately, the Reds haven't adjusted to the pitchers and their flaws are being exposed.
    While I'm sure there's some adjustments going on, they weren't going to score 1,000 runs with an .831 team OPS. Somewhere between 800-825 runs with a .783 OPS is more in line with reality. What's caught up with the Reds is what was always going to catch up with the Reds, no team gets to score at will. That said, the Reds will finish near the front of the NL in scoring and OPS ... not that it would ever be enough to stop folks from constantly complaining about the offense.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I could care less. Point is the the Reds are 3rd in MLB in SB and 5th in SB%.

I understand that's inconvenient when you've insisted there's no diversity in the lineup, but that's what happens when you start with a baseless conclusion.
    Thank you very much.

Not that what you wrote will be understood, or acknowledged due to the din brought forth by the mindless gnashing of teeth.

It's like trying to give my dog an insulin shot. He knows I'm not trying to hurt him, and it's for his own good, but still he feels compelled to let out blood curtling yelps every time I go for the trusty needle.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Thank you very much.

Not that what you wrote will be understood, or acknowledged due to the din brought forth by the mindless gnashing of teeth.

It's like trying to give my dog an insulin shot. He knows I'm not trying to hurt him, and it's for his own good, but still he feels compelled to let out blood curtling yelps every time I go for the trusty needle.
    Diabetic dog, someone's got to make a song out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Diabetic dog, someone's got to make a song out of that.
    or a cartoon.(Under Blood Sugar Dog)
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The problem is that the Reds offense is in a bad slump.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?