Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So...What's the Problem?

So...What's the Problem?

It can't be strikeouts, It's obviously not BA/RISP, so why is this team struggling to find consistency when it comes to scoring runs?

Also, why are they completely incapable of hitting a pitch that breaks downward?

Seriously, is it lineup construction, lack of Denorfia, Griffey?
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Re: So...What's the Problem?

That post makes perfect sense, but don't kid yourself, the total amount of runs the Reds score don't make them a good offensive team. Every team is going to go through the good and the bad.

This team simply cannot hit a pitch that moves and hasn't been able to all year. They've shown absolutely no improvement on their inability to do so. Put a power pitcher on the mound and they'll rake, everyone knows that. As a whole, this team gets around on a fastball better than any team I can remember.

But if the pitch breaks, a weak grounder is assured.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

There is no diversity in our lineup.

We don't have a leadoff hitter (Lopez is a great hitter, but not a leadoff guy), we have a 1 dimensional 1st baseman, and Edwin has driven in like 5 runs in the last month. Griffey refuses to walk, and our catcher can't hit.

When Dunn and Griffey don't hit homers, we can't score runs.

We need to find a legit leadoff hitter and trade one of our big power guys.

Lopez, Dunn, and Kearns right now are a more then capable middle of the order, and Edwin will be right up there with them very soon.

Having guys like Griffey and LaRue and Aurila around is pointless.

Griffey or Dunn (prefarably Griffey even if you have to eat some salary), IMO needs to be traded.

My dream lineup for next year would be:
    A speedy CF (Deno is not somebody I have in mind)
    Lopez
    Kearns
    Dunn-1B
    Edwin
    Phillips
    Deno-LF
    Ross

or

A speedy CF
    Lopez
    Kearns
    Dunn-LF
    EE
    Sean Casey (if he comes cheaper) or somebody like Casey who drives in a fair amount of runs, and puts the ball in play)
    BP
    Ross

Both of those lineups will be better defensively, and will put the ball in play more.

However for the here and now
    Lopez
    Deno-LF
    Griffey
    Dunn-1B
    Kearns
    BP
    EE
    Ross

would be what I like to see. We have to get some guys that can get on base and make things happen in the lineup.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    It can't be strikeouts, It's obviously not BA/RISP, so why is this team struggling to find consistency when it comes to scoring runs?

Also, why are they completely incapable of hitting a pitch that breaks downward?

Seriously, is it lineup construction, lack of Denorfia, Griffey?
    Problem #1: 2 extra-base hits in this series. Nobody's hitting for any sort of power right now and it's damned hard to score runs stringing singles and walks together.

April: 96 XBH, 149 runs
    May: 66 XBH, 100 runs

This team needs to get back to acquiring more bases if it wants to resume scoring runs.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    That post makes perfect sense, but don't kid yourself, the total amount of runs the Reds score don't make them a good offensive team. Every team is going to go through the good and the bad.

This team simply cannot hit a pitch that moves and hasn't been able to all year. They've shown absolutely no improvement on their inability to do so. Put a power pitcher on the mound and they'll rake, everyone knows that. As a whole, this team gets around on a fastball better than any team I can remember.

But if the pitch breaks, a weak grounder is assured.
    The Reds score more than most other teams. They score enough runs to win more often than most other teams and they're very good at getting on base, stealing bases and hitting for power. There's really no disputing any of that at the moment.

I also think they hit breaking balls far better than you give them credit for. They certainly do plenty of damage to bad breaking balls (and not every team does).

IMO, fans sometimes perceive stuff like this to be a problem when it really isn't because they only care about one team for the most part and things like back-to-back shutouts take an emotional toll.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    There is no diversity in our lineup.
    Boy, I couldn't disagree more. The Reds have power, OB and speed. Adding gap power guys like Encarnacion and Phillips (on the heels of Felipe's breakthrough last season) gives the team great diversity. Austin Kearns is having his best season at the moment. Dunn's an OPS freakazoid. Jr.'s been injured, but the one thing you can be assured of is that if he can stay healthy, he'll hit. Freel's a good OB panic attack on the bases. The club's top 10 in most every offensive category. If that's not a diverse lineup, I don't know what is.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Like every other season since 1999, there is no leader in the club house to kick some butt and call players out..in private. No one is showing emotion in the dugout or clubhouse. In 1999, players not only respected Vaughn, but was intimidated by him and did not want to get on his bad side. They stepped up there play. No leader= No post season
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I think Vaughn is still available
    Go Gators!

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I think Vaughn is still available
    Sign him as the new bench coach...tonight!!!
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Boy, I couldn't disagree more. The Reds have power, OB and speed. Adding gap power guys like Encarnacion and Phillips (on the heels of Felipe's breakthrough last season) gives the team great diversity. Austin Kearns is having his best season at the moment. Dunn's an OPS freakazoid. Jr.'s been injured, but the one thing you can be assured of is that if he can stay healthy, he'll hit. Freel's a good OB panic attack on the bases. The club's top 10 in most every offensive category. If that's not a diverse lineup, I don't know what is.
    Really?

Who was the last person not named Brandon Phillips to steal a base and when was it?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    My dream lineup for next year would be:
    A speedy CF (Deno is not somebody I have in mind)
    Lopez
    Kearns
    Dunn-1B
    Edwin
    Phillips
    Deno-LF
    Ross

or

A speedy CF
    Lopez
    Kearns
    Dunn-LF
    EE
    Sean Casey (if he comes cheaper) or somebody like Casey who drives in a fair amount of runs, and puts the ball in play)
    BP
    Ross

Both of those lineups will be better defensively, and will put the ball in play more.
    I like your thinking and the direction you're going. Either lineup you have outlined would give us a balanced attack -- a consistent and productive offense, and also better defense. These lineups might not produce so many 9-15 runs blowouts, but also shouldn't get skunked as often as this year's version of the Reds.

The other thing I'd like to see in '07. Can Narron stop with the daily, Boone-like juggling of the batting order? To get the players into a steady groove, they should have more defined roles. Your speed demons should be up front, then high OBP guys, then the guys with SLG., then batters with more modest skills and lastly, guys playing for their defense.

I'm not advocating that everyone stay in perfect rigid lockstep and always hit 1st or 4th or 7th in the batting order. As a manager, you do have to do some tinkering, some tweaks here or there to play the odds and the matchups, or to compensate for injuries.

But Narron's treating our young guys like Kearns, Encarnacion, Phillips, almost as if they were interchangeable pawns. Any given day, they can turn up anywhere from 2-7 in the batting order. That's too drastic, and places too much stress on these players, besides not really recognizing that they bring different skills to the table. He needs to figure out their attributes, and then position them in the batting order where they properly belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock

But Narron's treating our young guys like Kearns, Encarnacion, Phillips, almost as if they were interchangeable pawns. Any given day, they can turn up anywhere from 2-7 in the batting order. That's too drastic, and places too much stress on these players, besides not really recognizing that they bring different skills to the table. He needs to figure out their attributes, and then position them in the batting order where they properly belong.
    You make a good point here. Living in Chicago I got to watch alot of the Sox last years. You have alot of Ozzie Guillen in you when it comes to this. When Ozzie gave people the day off, he didn't switch around the batting order. For example if Willie Harris spelled Iguchi for a day, he would bat Harris 2nd (Iguchi's normal spot) so he didn't have to move around alot of people the lineup. Now ovbiously if someone is hot/cold for an extended period of time you would want to move them in lineup.

I'm not as concerned about the offense. This is a team that scores runs by the truckloads, so I'm sure that the games where they score 1-2 runs will be evened out by many more high scoring affairs. My concern would be making sure the bullpen is shored up so that they aren't losing the games where they score 8 or 9 runs.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

My concern would be making sure the bullpen is shored up so that they aren't losing the games where they score 8 or 9 runs.
    Or extending a 2 run deficit into a 4-5 run deficit.

BTW love that Arlie Latham avatar.

Turn Off Ads?