Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 1919 World Series question/riddle

1919 World Series question/riddle

I recently bought Susan Dellinger's (Edd Roush's granddaughter) book Red Legs and Black Sox and I was about halfway through it when I came across an interesting passage in there that I wondered if anyone else saw something wrong with it, and if they did, what really happened there?

"In the bottom of the 4th inning (of Game 2), Sox pitcher Lefty Williams opened the door to the Reds victory. Rath walked and was sacrificed to 2nd by Daubert. Groh walked to put runners on 1st and 2nd....

With a 2 and 1 count Edd lined a hard single into center field. scoring Rath and moving Groh to 3rd. Duncan was up next, and Williams took him to a full count. Edd cooled his heels on 1st, then got ambitious. He was on a roll; he knew he could steal 2nd.... He ran for 2nd with all his might, but the little dynamo squatting behind home had seen it coming. In 2 seconds it was all over. Schalk threw to Eddie Collins and Umpire Nallin yelled, "Out"....

With Groh remaining on 3rd, Duncan walked, and Kopf tripled to the fence in left field, scoring both teammates. Neale
    grounded out to 2nd base, ending the inning with the Reds ahead 3 to 0.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1919 World Series question/riddle

The count could not have been full when Roush attempted to steal, because the only three possible outcomes were a) a walk, moving Edd to second safely, b) a strikeout, meaning the inning was over after the caught stealing, or c) a foul ball, negating the steal attempt.

I have no idea what actually happened, but I claim my five quid.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    The count could not have been full when Roush attempted to steal, because the only three possible outcomes were a) a walk, moving Edd to second safely, b) a strikeout, meaning the inning was over after the caught stealing, or c) a foul ball, negating the steal attempt.

I have no idea what actually happened, but I claim my five quid.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Give that man a kewpie doll.

I am guessing the count could not have been full either.

There's a cartoon in the Boston Globe Oct 3, 1919, and a piece of it has the caption "Williams kept handing out those passes in the 4th and then BLOOIE!"

Two different descritpions of that inning. One implies a douible steal, the other says Groh made no attempt to go home. Paper says it was a 3-2 count on Duncan, too.

Upon further review, the article is a bit more consistent than I first thought. Here's how the Boston Globe describes Rousch's attempt to steal:

While Duncan was at bat, Rousch and Groh put on a double steal. Schalk lined the ball toward second, (Eddie) Collins coming in, as usual, to intercept the throw if the runner on third made a break for the plate, and Risberg covering the bag. It looked as if Collins tried to intercept the ball, so good was Groh's bluff that he intended to go home. The ball broke through Eddie's hands, popped into the air, and Risberg, by taking one step, sipped the ball and whipped it onto Rousch.
    Duncan (Reds left-fielder) made a bad judgement call, and missed a play in this game. And Groh made a base-running error and an infield error (missed a throw from RF.)

The article then states that the walk to Duncan was intentional, but elsewhere said the steal occured on a 3-2 count. I'm guessing the attempt to steal occurred on the pitch made the count go full.
    Last edited by SandyD; 05-28-2006 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    There's a cartoon in the Boston Globe Oct 3, 1919, and a piece of it has the caption "Williams kept handing out those passes in the 4th and then BLOOIE!"

Two different descritpions of that inning. One implies a douible steal, the other says Groh made no attempt to go home. Paper says it was a 3-2 count on Duncan, too.
    She used the book The 1919 World Series by William A. Cook as a footnote but the footnote did not come till several paragraphs later so I do not know if she was using that book as a reference for the whole passage or just the paragraph that was footnoted. I do not like to criticize since she was such a sweet lady and she really worked hard on the book but I just tend to notice stuff like that. Like that picture in The Beer and Whisky League I saw that Nemec put in there on purpose.

Sounds like someone has/had their facts mixed up.

Turn Off Ads?