Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are The 10 Biggest Baseball Blunders Ever?

What Are The 10 Biggest Baseball Blunders Ever?

After reading Spitball's thread on the Robinson/Pappas deal, I saw this poll on ESPN....

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...189&incoming=1

20.2% Red Sox: Selling Babe Ruth to Yankees (1919)
    Some writers thought the Yankees were taking the big risk.

14.9% Twins: Releasing David Ortiz (2002)
    That's right. They not only didn't want him, they didn't get anything for him.

12.9% Dodgers: Trading Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields (1993)
    Everybody in Montreal considered the deal a salary dump. . .

12.5% Mets: Trading Nolan Ryan to Angels for Jim Fregosi (1971)
    The Angels would have taken Gary Gentry, but Gil Hodges preferred to send Ryan off.

9.2% Orioles: Trading Curt Schilling, Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch to Astros for Glenn Davis (1991)
    Davis's back problems made this deal a complete disaster for O's.

9.0% Nationals (Expos): Trading Randy Johnson to Mariners for Mark Langston (1989)
    Langston was supposed to put Expos over the top, but instead they finished 12 games out of first place.

9.0% Marlins: Trading every high-priced player after winning World Series (1997-98)
    Moises Alou, Gary Sheffield, Kevin Brown, Al Leiter...

8.4% Mariners: Trading Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek to Red Sox for Heathcliff Slocumb (1997)
    Nine years later, Lowe and Varitek still productive major leaguers; Slocumb went 2-9 with 4.97 ERA and 13 saves with M's.

8.2% Cubs: Trading Lou Brock to Cardinals for pitcher Ernie Broglio (1964)
    It didn't work out, but at the time of the deal nobody could have known that Brock would become a Hall of Famer and Broglio's arm would fall off.

8.0% Cardinals: Trading Steve Carlton to Phillies for Rick Wise (1972)
    And all because Gussie Busch didn't want to pay Carlton an extra $10,000.

7.7% Phillies: Trading Ryne Sandberg and Larry Bowa to Cubs for Ivan DeJesus (1982)
    Yes, Sandberg was essentially a throw-in.

7.4% White Sox: Trading Sammy Sosa to Cubs for George Bell (1992)
    Must anything else be said?

7.2% Reds: Trading Frank Robinson to O's for Milt Pappas, etc. (1965)
    Deal turned Orioles into powerhouse, might have cost Reds a division title in '69.

7.1% Angels: Signing free agent Mo Vaughn to six-year, $80 million deal (1998)
    In his first game, Vaughn fell into the dugout, and eventually lasted only three seasons with the Angels, who ate a great deal of that contract.

7.0% Padres: Trading shortstop Ozzie Smith for shortstop Garry Templeton (1982)
    Smith's career took off in St. Louis; Templeton's crashed in San Diego.

5.1% Braves: John Rocker (2001)
    Enough said.

4.7% Diamondbacks: Trading Curt Schilling to Red Sox for Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon and Jorge de la Rosa (2003)
    Maybe they had to trade him, and maybe they should have gotten more in return.

4.6% Royals: Trading David Cone to Mets for Ed Hearn (1987)
    Cone won 194 games after the trade; Hearn played in 13 games.

4.4% Yankees: Trading Fred McGriff and others for Dale Murray and Tom Dodd (1982)
    McGriff would eventually hit 493 homers; Dodd wouldn't.

4.3% Brewers: Drafting B.J. Surhoff with No. 1 overall pick (1985)
    Surhoff was a good player, but Brewers could have picked Will Clark, Barry Larkin, or Barry Bonds.

4.1% Rockies: Signing free agents Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle to long-term mega-contracts (2000)
    You know how well this strategy worked.

3.9% Rangers: Trading Sammy Sosa and Wilson Alvarez to White Sox for Harold Baines (1989)
    Not one of Dubya's finest moments as Rangers owner.

3.5% Tigers: Letting free agent Kirk Gibson get away (1988)
    The Tigers finished one game behind the first-place Red Sox, and Gibson won MVP honors with Dodgers.

3.1% Giants: Trading Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser to Twins for A.J. Pierzynski (2003)
    Jury's still out on prospects Liriano and Bonser, but Nathan alone has made this one look pretty awful.

3.0% Devil Rays: Trading Bobby Abreu to Phillies for Kevin Stocker (1997)
    In fairness, without a shortstop you'll have a lot more singles.

2.9% Astros: Failing to protect Bobby Abreu in Expansion Draft (1997)
    The Devil Rays have been ridiculed for trading Abreu to the Phillies after drafting him from the Astros, but the Astros shouldn't have let him get away in the first place.

2.6% Athletics: Trading Tim Hudson to Braves for Charles Thomas, Dan Meyer and Juan Cruz (2004)
    Since the trade all three ex-Braves have seen most of their action in the minors, and none look like future stars.

2.1% Blue Jays: Trading David Wells to White Sox for Mike Sirotka (2001)
    Sirotka, who was injured when traded, hasn't pitched since.

1.6% Indians: Trading Brian Giles to Pirates for Ricardo Rincon (1998)
    The Pirates eventually traded Giles for Jason Bay and Oliver Perez; the Indians eventually traded Rincon for Marshall McDougall.

1.6% Pirates: Trading Willie Randolph and two others to Yankees for Doc Medich (1975)
    Medich won eight games for Pirates; Randolph became a near-Hall of Famer.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What Are The 10 Biggest Baseball Blunders Ever?

no Tony Perez?

something about that Dale Murray guy just made teams burn HoF first basemen.

terrible ESPN poll, but predictable in that it would contain mostly recent transactions (save Robinson, Brock and Ruth).
    What about Christy Matthewson for Amos Rusie?
    What about Edd Roush, Matthewson (again) and Bill McKechnie for Buck Herzog and Red Killefer?
    How about Frankie Frisch to the Cardnals with Jimmy Ring for Rogers Hornsby, who only played one season with NY?
    Roger Maris and a couple of others for Don Larson, Hank Sauer, Marv Throneberry and Norm Siebert?
    John Franco for Rafael Landestoy?
    John Smotz for Doyle Alexander - that was a MUCH worse move than letting Gibson go.
    How about the Astros dumping two starters (Joe Morgan and Cesar Geronimo), one valuable backup (Ed Armbrister) and one starting pitcher (Jack Billingham) for Tommy Helms, Lee May and Jimmy Stewart. Stewart did terrible for the Stros. While May and Helms did all right, how many pennants did they help Houston win?
    How could the Brooklyn Dodgers leaving Roberto Clemente open to be drafted by the Pirates in the Rule V draft not be mentioned?
    If we are going to go into bad signings, what of Andy Messersmith?
    Bah, the list is way too modernized.

How about the Reds protecting Tim Costo and exposing Trevor Hoffman in the 1993 exansion draft?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Surely Bagwell for Larry Anderson is listed somewhere, but I don't seem to see it.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

What Are The 10 Biggest Baseball Blunders Ever?
    1. Phil Ball of the Browns letting Branch Rickey move to the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    John Smotz for Doyle Alexander - that was a MUCH worse move than letting Gibson go.
    I disagree. Doyle Alexander was fantastic for the Tigers in 1987, and did exactly what they wanted him to do. On the day they made the trade, they were a game and a half behind the Blue Jays. Doyle went 9-0 with a 1.53 ERA and 3 shutouts after the trade and the Tigers won the division by two games. Admittedly, he wasn't too great in the playoffs against the Twins, but he is a big reason as to why the Tigers even got there in the first place.

I'll agree that the list is awfully current, and I'm surprised there is no mention of Houston letting Johan Santana go in the rule V, and then the Marlins promtly shipping Santana to the Twins for Jared Camp and cash.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

1.6% Pirates: Trading Willie Randolph and two others to Yankees for Doc Medich (1975)
    Medich won eight games for Pirates; Randolph became a near-Hall of Famer.
    I read this and thought, "Randolph a near Hall-of-Famer... you must be kidding."

Then I started comparing his numbers to Davey Concepcion. Very-very similiar. Davey hit for a bit more power than Willie and Willie had more walks and less strikeouts. But the numbers are strikingly close.

Leads me to ask REDS fans... would those who think Davey belongs in Cooperstown also support Willie Randolph's induction?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

"So Fla Red"

The Marlins one is a bit odd seeing that they won another WS with a rebuilt team five years later.

Not a great list, some of these deal's wern't so bad
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    The Marlins one is a bit odd seeing that they won another WS with a rebuilt team five years later.

Agreed -- saving millions of dollars by shipping out overpriced veterans is hardly a blunder.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    After reading Spitball's thread on the Robinson/Pappas deal, I saw this poll on ESPN....

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...189&incoming=1

14.9% Twins: Releasing David Ortiz (2002)
    That's right. They not only didn't want him, they didn't get anything for him.

Every team undervalued Ortiz, including the Red Sox. The Twins non-tendered him because they didn't think he was worth his arbitration number ($3-4 million or so). Then 28 teams undervalued him by not signing him. Then the Red Sox undervalued him by initially putting him behind Jeremy Giambi on the depth chart.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Haunted by walks

Darren Dreifort, Kevin Brown, Cubs letting Maddux get away, the handling of David Clyde ...

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Every team undervalued Ortiz, including the Red Sox. The Twins non-tendered him because they didn't think he was worth his arbitration number ($3-4 million or so). Then 28 teams undervalued him by not signing him. Then the Red Sox undervalued him by initially putting him behind Jeremy Giambi on the depth chart.
    I agree. This can not be the 2nd worse move of all time. I don't even think it makes the top 30.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    9.2% Orioles: Trading Curt Schilling, Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch to Astros for Glenn Davis (1991)
    Wow, that is one awful trade right there. Good grief.

And people wonder why the O's are awful.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?