Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Remember when May looked easy??

Remember when May looked easy??

I remember thinking that our big month would be May and then the schedule would catch up to us in June. However, it seems that every team we've played this month has come in on a hot streak. Arizona, Philadelphia, and Detroit all came in playing well and we struggled in those four series (3-9) while we went 8-5 against the rest with struggling Chicago still to play. In fact, I looked at today's records of the teams we've played in May to date and they have a combined winning percentage of .533 (it goes up to .561 if you take out the Pirates miserable record). I looked at the teams we play in June and they have a winning percentage of .489. Maybe we've just been a victom of playing some streaking teams in May and we can rebound against weaker competition in June. The CWS and NYM will be very tough but we've played StL and Houston well this year and we get 10 games against the Cubs, Brewers, and Royals. Hopefully we can turn this thing around and go into the all star break in contention. I think we can do it but if we can't stay above .500 in June against this schedule we're done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Remember when May looked easy??

i posted a thread about it. i feel like a dumba$$ for it now. i was giving the reds to much credit but being a diehard its not hard to do. the hard thing to figure is when we hit we don't pitch and vise versa. i think we need to make some kind of shakeup to turn things around. williams being removed from the rotation was a start but we need something to get the fire started again. JN going off on the home plate ump was a nice start.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

May looked, and should have been easier than we made it. But we did face some hot/good teams.

JN going off on the home plate ump was a nice start.
    I was at GABP and it did change the mood of the game. Even the crowd woke up and took notice.

I commented in another thread that the expression of excitement by the team for Javi's HR seemed to have more to do with "finally we got a break" than "way to go teammate". Maybe it's silly to think one play can make a difference but I think it can have some impact on a teams mental outlook.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I also though we would have a very good record heading into June, and the come back down to earth when the competition caught up with us. However, as you've pointed out, maybe we can bounce back at what looks like a WEAKER june. As someone said, I think a shakeup is needed. Where I differ is that I see a shakeup needed on the O. Our starting pitching isn't bad guys. I mean you can't expect them to shut everyone out every night. Granted our BP sucks, but our starters aren't bad........even with Milton. We just went through a streak where we didn't score a run in 21 innings, and you can't win games doing that no matter how the pitching is performing. I would like to see some changes in the lineup to replace guys who simply aren't producing. Heck, last night we had a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs in consecutive innings and couldn't manage a run................pathetic. Imo it doesn't matter who you are, if your consistantly not producing in those situations than you need to sit.....period. The BP also needs some retooling. I am hopefull that some of this can be done in house through the minors, but if not then we have to go out and get a BP arm or 2. Besides a couple of guys, this BP has been pathetic. Like I said this is a losing period where the starters aren't responsible for a change, and it has much more to do with the O and a putrid BP.

Nice to see Narron take matters into his own hands.When Dunn was jawing at the ump about a pitch,that opened the floodgates for Narron to come out and get fired up.

And he was hot too! He turned around and resumed the aruging at least 3 times before he got booted. Then he went totally nuts.

Weathers was jawing at the ump the entire time he pitched.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I remember when MAY made it look easy.

37 Yrs Ago Today....

MAY 28, 1969…Reds’ first baseman Lee May cracks a pair of HR’s against the Pirates in the 7-6 Reds’ win at Crosley Field. The two HR’s tie a MLB record for six HR’s hit in a consecutive three-game span. May, affectionately known as “The Big Bopper From Birmingham”, belted a pair of HR's against the Expos on May 24th, and repeated the act against the same Expos on May 25th in Cincinnati.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yeah, I remember looking at the schedule back after the win against the Cardinals on May 2nd and saying "Well, outside of the Tigers, this month looks pretty easy". Little did I know...

Turn Off Ads?