Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Current NL Standings = Pete Rozelle's Dream Come True

"So Fla Red"

Current NL Standings = Pete Rozelle's Dream Come True

As of close of business on Memorial Day Sunday the NL has 12 of 16 teams with a winning record. This includes the entire NL West. If the Cubs win their next 14 in a row they can join the party

The Reds are tied for the WC with LA at 28-22, but unfortunately for the good guys there are seven other senior circuit teams with between 25-27 wins and the one outlier to the positive side of the win % ledger (The Cards) resides in the same house.

The AL continues feast or famine with 8 of the 14 teams under .500.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Re: Current NL Standings = Pete Rozelle's Dream Come True

Three weeks later and after a weekend of being pounded into oblivion by the AL, the Senior Circuit is more of a mediocre mess than even before.

At 38-32, your Cincinnati Reds maintain lead the wild card by 1.5 games over the Padres. Talk about missed opportunity on the last homestand...

The entire NL West remains within 1.5 games of each other. Of course there are 8 other NL teams with either 35 or 36 wins so it's a mess and anyone who gets hot can pull away from the 500 club. With the Braves crash and burn we now have 5 of 16 teams playing for next year -- although all it takes is one hot run and the Nationals or Braves could easily get back in the muddled WC picture.

The D-backs and Phils have come crashing back down to .500 while the Astros have made some recent progress. The Marlins are the hottest team in baseball.

The Mets and Cards are the class of the NL and appear headed for 90+ wins. We could easily be looking at the WC winner with only 87-88 wins this season. The Reds are very much capable of being in that picture although it would appear (barring some moves) an uphill climb to win a playoff series against one of the Mets/Cards

What happened to the NL?
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What happened to the NL?
    Sounds like the question I ask myself whenever ESPN has a game on their channel.

New York, Boston, New York, Boston, New York, Boston, New York, Boston, New York, Boston, New York, Boston...

Anyhow... the top-4 highest payrolls are AL teams. 4 out of 5 teams that started this season with payrolls over $100 million are AL teams. Money cannot buy happiness is what they say, but it sure can win some ballgames and help your team.

The top-2 spenders? See two paragraphs above this one. $194 mill and $120 mill.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Sounds like the question I ask myself whenever ESPN has a game on their channel.

New York, Boston, New York, Boston, New York, Boston, New York, Boston, New York, Boston, New York, Boston...

Anyhow... the top-4 highest payrolls are AL teams. 4 out of 5 teams that started this season with payrolls over $100 million are AL teams. Money cannot buy happiness is what they say, but it sure can win some ballgames and help your team.

The top-2 spenders? See two paragraphs above this one. $194 mill and $120 mill.
    Cleveland sure does show up on ESPN a lot.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Cleveland sure does show up on ESPN a lot.
    That was gammon's pick I believe to overhrow the White Sox. He also really liked Milwaukee but for some reason they don't get much play on TV.
    Last edited by LincolnparkRed; 06-20-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Turn Off Ads?