Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who else saw "X-Men: The Last Stand"?

Who else saw "X-Men: The Last Stand"?

Yes I saw X3 today. Get ready for some non-sensical gibberish courtesy of moi!

Where to start?

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

I had extremely LOW expectations for X3 when Bryan Singer left and Brett Ratner was hired. Ratner's films ranged from so-so to decent, certainly not up to the standards of Singer's work. In my opinion, Singer started off a brilliant trilogy and it's a damn shame he didn't finish it (I would've rather seen Guilermo Del Toro direct X3 than Ratner.) I certainly hope "Superman Returns" ends up being good enough to excuse his departure from the "X-Men" franchise.

Anyway, the film was far too short. With this cast of characters, you NEED more time to develop them on screen or in the case of some, give their deaths more dramatic weight.

I'm no fan of Cyclops but damn did he get the short end of the stick in this trilogy or what? He doesn't even get the dignity of dying on screen?

The CGI used to make Prof. X and Magneto look so young was remarkable. Just stunning. Perhaps we'll be seeing more of this in Hollywood, especially with older actors in action films?

Kelsey Grammar was perfectly cast as Beast but I don't think they effectively captured the character, it was 'Beast highlights.'

I never cared for Rogue, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if she's never used in another sequel. Yeah yeah, I know all about the comic book history but we're talking about the *movies* here and things HAVE to change in the adaptation.

"Killing" Prof. X really sucked the life out of the theater I was in. Nobody seemed like they wanted that to happen. Jesus, completely obliterating the guy into nothing? Seems a bit harsh.

Speaking of harsh, did you find it odd how coldly Magneto reacted to Mystique after she *saved* him from the cure gun and was turned into a human? "You're not one of us any more"? "She used to be so beautiful"? DAMN! I had to laugh when she ended up betraying Magneto later in the film, telling the government where his camp was. I would've liked to see Magneto react with a tad more sadness to Xavier's death, hell I would've prefered his whole death scene be treated as something more horrific, like if you were watching your father being murdered.

The Iceman vs Pyro fight was rather anti-climactic and I think that we really could've done without the one-liners. "I'm the Juggernaut *****"? Rather juvenile don't you think? Sticking with Juggs, his muscle suit looked ridiculous. In this day and age of special FX, we can't make a realistic looking rubber suit? I was disappointed they made him a mutant and threw away his relationship with Xavier. I had also been hoping to see a full throttle fight between him and Colossus (which would've give the "tin man" something to do other than carry large TVs with ease.)

I'm not going to get into Storm too much. I have always HATED Halle Berry in the role. She's a girl scout, nothing more. Angela Basset would've been the perfect fit. I'm glad she won't be playing superheroes any more.

Enjoyed the "look" Jean Grey had as Phoenix, when she went nuts she had a real demonic look to her. Very cool. I dug how the whole environment around her went bat**** at the end.

It's clear to me Angel was merely being introduced and will get a more prominent role in X4 (which we ALL KNOW will happen.)

Magneto has been my favorite so far and while I wouldn't necessarily approve of all his methods, he was clearly in the right in X3. Just why in the hell did the X-Men stand off against him at the end? Traitors indeed. The "cure" clearly wasn't being treated as solely a choice any more, *I* would've tried to kill Leech as well. It was seriously pissing me off how they showed Mags being much weaker in this film, Phoenix threatening him with the cure (couldn't he have simply brought some metal projectiles somewhere and knock them away?) and of course actually getting it at the hands of Beast. I did *not* want to see him as some helpless old man in an old folks home. Thankfully it appeared his powers were coming back as he could move the chess piece at the end which begs the question...

Is this cure permanent? Does it react differently to each individual? Will some get their powers back and others won't?

It's clear Ratner was not a good choice for the film. I can appreciate he didn't try to make it "his" movie and try to fit it into Singer's vision but the problem is that he just isn't as talented as Singer is and X3 looks like a poor copycat.

I suppose I could have dealt with the changes/deaths in the film had they been written better and of course had the balls to stick with it at the end but virtually everything was a cop out. Prof. X's mind was transferred to that comatose guy (when Patrick Stewart's voice is heard, is it actually his speaking voice or was he telepathically communicating with Moira?) Assuming Xavier comes back in X4, will Stewart just be doing voice over? Granted we never got a look at the comatose body but he can't look like Xavier THAT much.

Too bad Nightcrawler wasn't in it but I got the impression from the X3 game that all the fighting and violence wasn't for him and left the group (the game's pretty good BTW, Cumming provides the voice. Sabretooth's in the game as well and the actor who played him in X1 voices him too.)

The FX was pretty damn good throughout (contrary to what I've been reading this past week.)

The love triangle (if you can call it that) between Iceman, Rogue and Kitty was hardly fleshed out and barely made an impression at all. Plus, could Iceman *be* any more of a wuss?

I would say the Danger Room sequence was not what fans had been hoping for all these years. One cheap Sentinel head? You never see it cut off by Wolverine either. Kinda lame if you ask me. I'll also echo other responses I've read about the music, where was it? The X2 score blew it out of the water.

Overall, X3 was not the big fiasco I was fearing but it's a huge let down from the high of X2. It's looking like it will break the $100 million mark this weekend so when FOX greenlights X4, here's to hoping there isn't a "Superman" sequel in the works.

Bryan, please come back.

I know my comments have been mostly negative but I don't wanna give the impression I hated it. I didn't, it was (like all of Ratner's work) ok but the franchise needed something better than "ok."

If they're doing that Wolverine solo story, I think it would've been cool if Magneto did rip the adamantium from his bones at the end of X3. It would've made an interesting story to continue with (Wolvy's far too strong in the films now.)

X3 gets a C from me.

Those are my scattershot thoughts on X3. I hope it wasn't too damn confusing to read.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Who else saw "X-Men: The Last Stand"?

I agree on almost all of your points, Michael.

Phoenix's story is the most dramatic; stick with it. Even if it means excluding the story of the new characters.

It felt like a committee-made movie, not the sole vision of one director. That's what killed it for me.

I'm not familar with Ratner's work. What are some of his other films?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I'm not familar with Ratner's work. What are some of his other films?
    Rush Hour 1, 2 and 3
    Go Gators!

I liked it overall, though it does leave alot to be desired. Cyclops lack of involvement left me wanting.
    Visit your local Psychiatrist, There may not be bugs crawling on you.

I agree with both of you. This was by far the worst of the Xmen movies. When the last movie ended you knew the focus of this movie should be the Phoenix character. If done right that could have been a really great 3rd movie. But there was so much else thrown in that it just kind of became a mess. I had a feeling this movie was in trouble under Ratner and unfortunately I was right. This movie really felt rushed in a lot of scenes. There were characters introduced with really not much to do. Major characters die and they rush on to the next scene. This film just seemed like a bunch of FX scenes put together you never really care about the characters in the movie.

I think they tried to add too many characters. That works in a TV series or mini-series, but not in a movie.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

got alil captain in u?

i still might see the movie the other 2 were quality movies i can't believe they kill off proffessor x i never did like cyclops he's more of the main character in the cartoon but not the movies they seem to focus on wolverine(my personal favorite) in the movies

$107 million opening weekend...4th best all time. Wow. If anything this tells FOX they never had to bother with a quality script in the first place.

FYI, Mystique turning Magneto in was a decoy. Harsh or not, she was still a part of the plan. Perhaps her involvement implied a reconciliation?

Just saw it tonight. No where near as bad as you make it sound, although I agree the deaths of 3 major characters are not given their rightful weight.

Oh yeah, those deaths mean X4 will NOT happen.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Took my 10 yr old son to see it Saturday. We've seen all three.

IMO, the movie was alright. I may not give the most reliable opinion since I was raised, and use to, the original X-Men when they came out in the 60's. So I am prejudiced.

The characters have been changed, and various new ones added, that I've completely lost track of whose who.

I agree with some of the points made above though.

Cyclops really got a raw deal. And personally, I think Dr X did too.

My son really enjoyed it.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    FYI, Mystique turning Magneto in was a decoy. Harsh or not, she was still a part of the plan. Perhaps her involvement implied a reconciliation?

Just saw it tonight. No where near as bad as you make it sound, although I agree the deaths of 3 major characters are not given their rightful weight.

How was it a decoy? Magneto turned his back on her, she ratted him out. She was not privy to his decoy plans with Multiple Man as that clearly was devised *after* she was "cured."

Was your last sentence sarcasm?

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo

Who says they can't come back?

The rumor going around is that they are working on solo Magneto and Wolverine movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Finally saw it, and I honestly thought it didnt live up to the hype.

I wouldnt be surprised if they come out with a 4th movie, but they need to just stop with this one. Sure, Magneto, Rogue, and Mystique could have only had a temporary suppression of their powers, and Professor X could be revived, but by the time it would take to explain it, it would make for a rather dull movie.

Whether or not Mystique was truly aligned with Magneto after he abandoned her is something we will never know unless a 4th X-movie is made.

I agree with Sava on too many new characters being used. Although Kitty and Colossus were used in the second movie in sparing roles, the influx of the Brotherhood really took the focus off what made the X-Men movies great.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

University of Cincinnati

I really enjoyed the movie they defintely left it open for the possibility of an X-4 based on how it ended.

I heard that after the credits they had an extra scene where apparently Prof X is revived or something did anyone else see or hear of this?
    THE University of Cincinnati

Turn Off Ads?