Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redszone mentioned in AP article

Redszone mentioned in AP article

Found this online.

Associated Press - Cincinnati, Ohio

Retirement is usually thought of as a break from the fast times of work and raising children, yet for one growing group of parents retirement has taken on a whole new meaning. Since late 2002 there has been a new wave of couples over 50 who are cashing their social security checks and turning over those dollars to their grown children for what analysts like to call 'internet debate rewards'.

Wilma and Edward Luzatanski remember the first time they learned of their son Jeffrey's special talent. "Imagine my surprise when I came home from bingo and the phone rang," Wilma recalls, "It was my grown son, telling me how he had just won at the internet." That night Wilma and Edward wired over 20 dollars to their son's bank account as a "congratulations gift" for "[winning] at the internet". "I'm not too sure what the internet is, but if it makes my Jeffrey that happy it must be a good thing," Edward Luzatanksi shared.

Jeffrey, a night shift manager for Kragan Auto Parts in nearby Los Altos, had been posting nightly on a chat board website dedicated to the major league baseball team the Cincinnati Reds. "I won't say my username but I'll tell you that everyone loves me on RedsZone [the name of the internet chat board website]. They have these things called Rep Points and I've gotten, like, over 600 of them," Jeffrey shared during a phone interview last Wednesday. According to him, he has also won the favor of several mods on the board who have helped him in the pinch by closing threads in which he was being beaten or backing him up by 'quoting' his opponents and shooting down their statements with statistics culled from a website known as BaseballProspectus.com.

All in all, Jeffrey claims to have received over 250 dollars from his parents. "I know I'm not the only one who has gotten money for winning a chat board debate. There is a kid who lives on my block who gets 5 dollars for every home run he hits in little league. There are grandparents who pay their kids 1 dollar for every 3 pointer they hit in high school. I don't see the difference at all," Jeffrey stated, "They are just rewarding and encouraging something that has brought a lot of happiness, self confidence, and meaning to my life."

His parents agree. In fact, they have dedicated all their free time to being 'cheerleaders' for Jeffrey's message board activity. "I made a sweater with this nifty computer program I bought at CompUSA," Wilma remembers, "However when I brought the box home I realized that I don't own a computer. The next morning I drove to the local public library and the librarian helped me print out a design. I went home right away and ironed it on to an old white sweater of Jeffrey's."

What's next for the family? "We've asked Jeffrey to move back in [our basement] so we can be there in person and cheer him on while he types," Edward laughs. "He says he's thinking about it."

"Yeah, I actually have," confirmed Jeffrey.

- Article written by Associated Press writer Arthur Willoughby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone mentioned in AP article

Do you have a link for this?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Do you have a link for this?
    Considering that the "article" continues to change and take on jpegs, I'd say no.

But it was a lot of work.

It must be self-weeding day here at Redszone.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'm not sure if that was meant to be funny or if I'm meant to feel dumber for having read it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It must be self-weeding day here at Redszone.
    Usually this kinda stuff happens after a loss. A lot of people must've missed the 9th inning today.

Still, nothing finer than a good "I hate this place" thread.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I'm not sure if that was meant to be funny or if I'm meant to feel dumber for having read it.
    Yep I agree. I was just curious as to what the thread starter would put as a link.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    You have to have under 600 rep points to find it funny.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    You have to have under 600 rep points to find it funny.
    And apparently under 46 chromosomes.

A google of RedsZone bring up a ton of stuff... 55,000 hits!!

I found this online... and it's the real deal (but it's old):

RedsZone becoming a new Sons of Sam Horn?
    By JD Arney
    Posted on Fri Apr 29, 2005 at 04:15:04 PM EST

The most popular Red Sox message board on the internet has, for some time now been member only. This explains the history of the board and how it evolved to an application or sponsored only forum:

SoSH has steadily grown ever since. In 2002 we made the tough decision to close membership, requiring prospective new members to submit an application. This was done not to close the community, but to ensure that the quality of the discussions wouldn't suffer due to swift growth. This certainly wasn't the most popular decision we've ever made at SoSH, but it flat-out worked. Over the next two years we saw traffic increase exponentially - mainly due to non-members ("lurkers") stopping in just to read the threads. There are at least a dozen other Red Sox forums out there with anywhere from 3 to 10 times the members that SoSH has but SoSH still gets 5 to 10 times the daily traffic. If the SoSH members are the straws that stir the drink then these lurkers are the drink.
    It looks like the Reds most popular message board, RedsZone, may be headed to the same model:

I'd create a new BB forum that is only open to the original RedsZone members and subscribers. "Standard" members could then be sponsored to the new BB forum by subscribers and original members while both the new, restricted BB forum is active along with the current, open BB forum. I would post on the current forum our plans and that the "Front Office" (for lack of a better term: admins/moderators) would also accept applications. This would run for a predetermined amount of time (a month or two). I would then close the current BB forum and make the new, restricted BB forum the standard forum. It would be viewable to ALL, but only accepted members could post. We wouldn't sponsor individuals any longer but rely upon applications to bring in "fresh blood" that the front office deemed acceptable. That part is the tough part, and we'd go through some growing pains, but it can be done (see SoSH).

RedsZone was my first internet experience with other Reds fans, and when I found it back in 2002 it was just a terrific place to be. I hadn't begun to blog and RedsZone was the first place I'd ever found that had all the Reds info you could possibly want contained in one place. The discussion was also extremely nourishing and interesting. RedsZone was different from every other message board I'd ever visited because the discussion was so elevated. It was somewhat imposing to begin posting there, but I did in May of 2002. While most of my 4000+ posts (amazingly nowhere near the top of the heap, many members have more than 10,000 posts) were on the non-baseball side in political threads, I still turned to the baseball side for Reds info. If it weren't for RedsZone and Google News I'd have a much tougher time finding things to write about.

But the place has really gone to hell in the last year. The core group of posters who previously had dominated discussion and elevated the level of conversation have begun to limit their posting because of the legions of posters who post on a MLB.com message board level. Anyone who's spent more than five minutes at the MLB.com board will know what I mean.

The poster that I most respected over the past few years was westofyou, a guy who has taught me a ton about baseball, and a person with whom I almost always found myself in agreement. He is now posting most of his substantial thoughts at Redleg Nation as opposed to RedsZone. Redleg Nation is much the better for his participation.

I view RedsZone's potential move to a SoSH model as a positive thing. But it'll be interesting to see the fallout from this one, if they do decide to go this way. The evolution of internet communities is a fascinating thing to watch in my opinion, and this won't be an exception.
    http://www.redreporter.com/story/2005/4/29/16154/6347
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Still, nothing finer than a good "I hate this place" thread.
    To be fair, that's been the flavor du jour for a while around here.

In all honesty, this place is turning into one giant mess. That isn't on the mods. That isn't on Boss or GIK. It's on posters who just can't let things die. If people on this board could just accept "agree to disagree" into their thinking, this place would shape up quickly. I come to this place for good Cincinnati Reds discussion. The pissing matches are getting really old.

There is room for emotion on this board. There is room for statistical discussion on this board. There is room for personal observation. Some posts will be in depth and well reasoned, others will not. Baseball fans are a very diverse group. Some follow the game religiously, others casually. Some fans are guided by emotions, and others are guided by a statistical approach. Many are a mix of both. Many on this board need to accept the different approaches, because in the end we're all baseball fans.

For those of you who can remember the cincinnati.com board, please ask yourself: do you want this place to be that bad? Granted, we don't have trolls like Gallagher, but the animosity around here is getting to cincinnati.com levels.

I guess you could say this is a plea for posters on this board to take some responsibility. Accept the fact that there will be disagreements. If they are getting to a point where they hijack a thread, take them private. The rest of us don't need to read a personal argument. If you have animosity towards another poster/group of posters, take it private. I am not alone in my disgust towards these incidents.

edit: I'm not trying to single out this thread. I'm sure anyone who has visited a game thread lately will know what I mean.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think the main problem is that the rules aren't the same for everyone.

Threads aren't locked for being in violation of rules, they are locked because one of the mod's buddies is being called out. When a 'little guy' gets picked on, the thread is allowed to go on for days. But call out someone who is well known and mods come out of the wood work reciting RedsZone policy.

Bottom line, I have seen many people make personal attacks without being warned. I've also seen many people make jokes about the 'little guys' and have a good laugh, but you make a joke like I did in this thread and it's labeled as juvenile and missing chromosomes.

You're killing me Larry!

but you make a joke like I did in this thread and it's labeled as juvenile and missing chromosomes.
    I thought it was kind of unintentionally ironic, writing this involved fake AP article to bust on the supposed geeks who post in Internet forums.

But, man, if you're going to dish it out, then don't complain when someone zings you back.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I thought it was kind of unintentionally ironic, writing this involved fake AP article to bust on the supposed geeks who post in Internet forums.

But, man, if you're going to dish it out, then don't complain when someone zings you back.
    Is there a reason why you chose to focus on the least important thing I said?

Is there a reason why you chose to focus on the least important thing I said?
    Because it was the part that most interested me. I suppose you could have not said it and then I'd have paid no attention to it.

Turn Off Ads?