Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Where are we now?

Where are we now?

We are two months into the season and we see that the Reds are still in contention. With the recent downpoor of lackluster offense, our team finds itself 4 games behind the NL Central leading Cardinals. The Cardinals may be looking at some dissapointing upcoming moments as their ace has just landed on the DL. Edmonds is on and off the DL as well as this team is being threatened with the chance at missed opportunity.

We all know that the Cubs are likely out of contention and there has been whisperings of a firesale. The Pirates have been out of it since the beginning of the season. So that leaves the Astros who may get Clemens back, the Brew Crew who have vastly improved this season, and the Cardinals who, as mentioned above, may see a decline due to injuries.

Most Reds fans have faith in Krivsky's ability to make the team better when needed. There has been a lot less computers smashed and newspapers burned since he took over as GM for the Reds. But do we have faith that he can pull a few more needed deals off when the time comes?

The most pressing issue for now may be in house. Denorfia is killing AAA ball right now with a .345 AVG. Quintin McCracken may look like a nice switch hitting option off of the bench, but we all know that Denorfia can and will o much better than what we have seen from Q. This move looks almost impossible to pass up and it should be made rapidly.

Krivsky has been rumored in looking at a few relief pitchers that could bolster the bullpen. This could only make things better at the end of the game and raise the chances for this team to hold a bigtime offense from pulling a Pujols. I think this is a pressing issue and I am happy to see that the possibility exist right now that we may get some bullpen help soon. A replacement of Rick White is something we can be excited about regardless of what happens.

But the issue of needing better SP is still at the forefront of need. Arroyo and Harang are definitely a good 1-2 punch. With Arroyo having one of the better ERAs in the NL and Harang in the top 10 in strikeouts, we have two guys that can win a lot of games. Milton looks like he came back strong after his injury which means big things if he can continue what he has shown he can do this year. The question marks in the rotation are Lizard and Claussen. We all had high hopes for Claussen but he has not delivered for the most part. Lizard has had a decent go at it so far but can we fully expect it to continue? If we got a big game winner to the top of the rotation to replace one of those two our chances would be as good as anyone. But how can that happen?

This thread is asking you, the Reds fan, what do we need to see from Krivsky and this team in order to keep us within reach of a playoff birth?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Re: Where are we now?

No chance to win the division, its the Cards...they will win 100 games. We need to win 90 games to clinch the wildcard. That is 18 games over .500

We need to try and get another starter pitching. We might have to wait until the all-star break however to get one in a trade if someone does not step-up in our farm system.

Another dependable arm in the bullpen is a must as well. We are only a couple of moves away. Our defense has to get better. Extra infield practice would not be to much to ask.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    No chance to win the division, its the Cards...they will win 100 games. We need to win 90 games to clinch the wildcard. That is 18 games over .500
    I don't think the Cards will win 100 this season. I'd bet on 94-95 and that assumes Carpenter's DL stint is limited to early June.

They are one injury from superhuman-man at 1B away from being a slightly above average NL team.

Claussen, KGJ and Milton. Short of another Wayne-O rabbit out of the hat in a trade (a.k.a 2006 Arroyo/Phillips special part III) 2 of the 3 of these characters must have a solid run the rest of the summer to keep the Reds in the playoff hunt. (I'd take the under, but you never know).

If Wayne can parlay Larue and maybe send some excess cash into a package that can contribute that would be a good start.

The one thing the Reds have going for them right now is health... which 4 of the contending teams are having problems with. I had hoped that Paul Wilson may give the Reds a lift in June, but at this point I would not hold my breath. While I think the SP is still an area of concern especially with the Dave Williams fiasco, Elizardo Ramirez has been a nice surprise in the 5 slot, and I think Milton will exceed most peoples expections. Brandon Claussen is one pitcher that I have been disappointed with so far this year. I was expecting at least 12 or 13 wins from the guy. Adding a pitcher later in the season may be an option if we are still contending, but I do not want to trade away our future for some washed up veteran pitcher.

The biggest area of concern for me is relief pitching. Beyond Coffee and Weathers and now Hammonds, I don't think that we have the staff of a play off team. I thought Ryan Wagner would get his self together with a month or two in Louisville, but it looks like we will not be seeing him in Cincy any time soon and it doesn't appear there is too much help waiting in the minors. Perhaps a trade with Arizona or Detroit may be in order because they seem to be strong in this area.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Our starting pitching I feel is going to be OK. I actually think Milton is going to continue to pitch pretty well. My concern is Claussen but I think he'll come around. I think we need another middle reliever that can be counted on. I like Mercker, Weathers, Hammond and Coffey. I think Belise has been pretty good but shows too much inconsistency and the others are just bad. We won't have the guts to do it but I think Dunn to 1B, Griffey to LF and Denorfio/Freel in CF makes this team much better. Too bad egos play such an important role in deciding these things.

Personally, I don't think Belisle is getting enough work and thus having a hard time shaking off the rust when he's called to the mound.

Granted, he's long relief, but he needs to be called on a bit more frequently, even if it's just for one inning.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Milton looks like he came back strong after his injury which means big things if he can continue what he has shown he can do this year. The question marks in the rotation are Lizard and Claussen. We all had high hopes for Claussen but he has not delivered for the most part. Lizard has had a decent go at it so far but can we fully expect it to continue? If we got a big game winner to the top of the rotation to replace one of those two our chances would be as good as anyone. But how can that happen?

This thread is asking you, the Reds fan, what do we need to see from Krivsky and this team in order to keep us within reach of a playoff birth?[/QUOTE]

Wow, 1 start and Milton is no longer a ? mark. wow. Although that start did excite me, Claussen is still less of a question mark than Milton. Although he has been inconsistent, umm, Milton? I hope that you are right here, but dont go giving Milton the bounce-back player of the year trophy after 1 start even though he can't possibly be as bad as he was last year.

I think it's time to shop Freel and LaRue or Valentin for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron
    Wow, 1 start and Milton is no longer a ? mark. wow. Although that start did excite me, Claussen is still less of a question mark than Milton. Although he has been inconsistent, umm, Milton? I hope that you are right here, but dont go giving Milton the bounce-back player of the year trophy after 1 start even though he can't possibly be as bad as he was last year.

HaHa, no way Milton gets a comeback player of the year award. That was never mentioned. But I am definitely seeing the same Milton that we saw before his injury this season as well. He was pitching pretty well before he got hurt and that one outing in which he was hurt was the outing that killed him. I was not expecting much from him from his first start post injury but he had a solid performance. This can only mean that he is fully recovered and as Krivsky had stated this year, his legs are with him. He is a much better pitcher than last season and I am no where near ready to write him off like I did last year. I am very excited about Milton's progress so far.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan
    I think it's time to shop Freel and LaRue or Valentin for pitching.
    I agree strongly, because I think this is a way to get a decent middle reliever, something that this team desperately needs. Larue would be valuable because decent catching seems to be scarce at the major league level. Freel would be attractive to many teams because of the way that he plays the game as well as his amazing versatility.

If we could get a good middle relief pitcher and a decent SP prospect out of this, I would be extremely happy. This would help the team immediately, solving catcher playing time issues and what to do with Freel, while also possibly helping the future by stockpiling pitching prospects in the minors.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

The Reds goal is simple... Win atleast 15 games a month. Thats the magic number.

We have 2 games left against the Cubs this month to kind of get to that mark... Of 30 wins in 2 months.

While, we didn't have a May like we all dreamed at the start of it... If we get 2 wins to end the month it could go along ways to help us.

Get 15 wins every month and we'll be in this thing at the end.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

I'm going to enjoy the Reds time in the hunt for the wildcard while it lasts (hopefully it goes right down to the wire).

But realistically, I know that this is WK's first year - he's a GM, not a miracle worker and I don't expect the World Series to be in Cincy this year. I like what I've seen from him so far, but that's just tinkering with the bottom spots on the 40-man roster. It's evident that he's evauating the talent from the top of the organization to the bottom, and I expect a lot changes to the roster in the offseason.

For the first time in a long time I have high hopes for the Reds moving forward.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    For the first time in a long time I have high hopes for the Reds moving forward.
    So true! Many mistakes have been made. Mistakes will continue to be made. On the field and off, it's not a game of "perfect." This draft is pretty crucial, as is the development of the few players in our farm system who were good selections and signs.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I think Wayne has done an excellent job weeding out players who are not performing. Mercker more than likely will be the next to go on that list due to Hammonds emergence as a capable lefty out of the pen and Shack's age. We definitely need some more help in that area and maybe he can parlay a strength catching or outfield into some bullpen help. I also hope that Narron can provide stability to the lineup by keeping Lopez and Phillips at the top while leaving Griffey Dunn and Kearns as the meat in the sandwhich with Edwin in the six hole. A consistent lineup might get our hitters a bit more comfortable. We will defintitely be active during the trade deadline.

Turn Off Ads?