Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Just back from todays game

Can he be stopped?

Just back from todays game

I was going to post this in the game thread, but to my surprise it was closed.... and only 8 pages.

As for the game, dang it was hot today. I don't know how much that affected the pitchers, but you could see Arroyo furiously mopping his brow between pitches. Stadium ushers were walking around asking if everyone was doing okay heat wise. Luckily I was with my brother, who's in a wheelchair, so we sat under an awning, and there was a nice breeze. When I visited a friend in 112, it was roasting.

Narron's tirade pumped up the crowd so much. He got a nice standing O as he left. The ump made a really late call to eject him. Narron had said his peice, and was walking away when the ump ejected him. Then Jerry comes back furious and spends 2 minutes in this guys face. Priceless. Bucky F'in Dent also argued a call, as did stormy. Bad game for Vanover.

I loved Ross's bunt in the 8th... completely out of the blue.

After Freel hit the lead off homer, I turned to my dad, and told him we were gonna hit the crap out of the rook. So much for that prediction...

Hatteburg was also great with his homer. He worked the count and took a couple foul. BP had a great defensive grab, and I'll give Freel play of the game nailing the runner at home.

Oh, and Rich had some amazing catches at 1st, and then botches a routine DP ball... disapointing.

Had a great time, even if i missed a lot of the action in the bottom of the 9th because my brother jammed his finger up his nose, and we had to clean up the blood. It made the walk off that much more cool, however.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just back from todays game

Dunner44....I was also at the game and had many of the same notions. I posted a very simular list in the game thread before it got shut down. A couple of the posters got into a big time snipe fest with each other and it was locked down by a moderator.

I think Ross's bunt in the 8th was the key to the game. I think it was a great adaption to the situation as opposed to just trying to swat away yet again.

Deffinatley a horrible day for the ump behind the plate. Seemed like nobody was happy with him.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    I think Ross's bunt in the 8th was the key to the game. I think it was a great adaption to the situation as opposed to just trying to swat away yet again.
    Yeah, i loved it... and it was completely out of the blue. Also, I hated FeLo bunting Freel over in the 7th. First of all, he had 2 strikes on him. Secondly, it's FeLo, he can hit all over the field, and for power. And we ended up not getting Freel in after Aurillia Ked and Dunn got the bad call. Bad game for Lopez today on offense. He wasn't even close when he was caught stealing. He started sliding way to early. He was out of gas before he reached the base... zero forward movement.

That's a great point about Lopez. I had forgotten about his attempted steal. He must of gotten a bad read, or poor start combined with trying to slide 10 before the bag. But as you said, he was out by a mile.

Sometimes you can't steal them all, I guess.

Can he be stopped?

While I'm still remembering things, Encarnacion was pissed after one of his Ks. He just dropped the bat, and stood there fuming. Also, Hammond looked sharp once again. 2 Ks, and then a flyout. Methodical inning for him. I've seen him pitch twice now, and he's been much better than when he started the season. He looks like he's becomming Jerry's go-to guy in the 7th.

Glad you guys had a good time at the game. Unfortunately, today was typical summer weather in Cincinnati. The humidity is sooooo bad that it's often very uncomfortable to be out in it for the length of time it takes to "enjoy" a ball game.

The ump was bad all game long... did you see the strike he called as the ball flew by Dunn's eyes? Low balls were strikes and outside pitches were strikes.

Does anyone besides me think the umpires are particularly bad this year?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Without a doubt. I noticed it on opening day and I think it has since gotten worse. A lot of the balls/strikes calls have been atrocious.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I mentioned this to my father last night. I don't know if there is any way of tracking actual bad calls and questionable calls of the umps so I may be way off here according to the facts. My perception, however, is that there have been a number of shakey calls this year, more so than in years past. Yesterdays game, the two bad out calls on Freel's steals, and I think there were several others but I can't remember the details. I do remember Marty going nuts several other times.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 05-29-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Yep, it's time they were all replaced.
    Go Gators!

Its not just you.. this year has been god awful. I can't remember a year when I watched/listened that I heard so many complaints about the umpiring. Another thing I notice is I hear more about the awfulness of the MLB umpiring than you do the minor league "scab" umpires. You would think we'd be hearing a lot more bad about the replacement umps..

Anyway, it seems like every game there is either a really bad strike zone, inconsistent strike zone, and botched calls(see todays game).

Two Thumbs down.. way down..:thumbdown :thumbdown
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

saboforthird

Glad you guys had a good time at the game. Unfortunately, today was typical summer weather in Cincinnati. The humidity is sooooo bad that it's often very uncomfortable to be out in it for the length of time it takes to "enjoy" a ball game.

The ump was bad all game long... did you see the strike he called as the ball flew by Dunn's eyes? Low balls were strikes and outside pitches were strikes.

Suppose they work in conjunction with mosquitoes?

I was at this game as well...until my wife got dizzy from the heat and we left in the 3rd. The Enquirer said the game was on FSN and when I got back to the hotel I found out they lied.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    The Enquirer said the game was on FSN and when I got back to the hotel I found out they lied.
    No they didn't because it was; I watched it on FSN.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

It was FSN - I taped it...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?