Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People standing IN busy intersections

People standing IN busy intersections

With there little buckets looking for money. Every weekend there is some group looking for money handouts at this busy intersection a few miles from where I live. I never seen this in Minnesota. Is this an Indiana thing? These people could get seriously injured. It's crazy, I've even seen younger kids out there. I just think this is idiotic. Where I lived groups had car washes and stuff and people held signs on the SIDEWALKS near busy intersections, but never did they stand in the middle of traffic, with cars flying buy 6 inches from them at 40-50 mph. IS this a common thing in this part of the country.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: People standing IN busy intersections

I've NEVER seen this happen.

I did have a guy run out and wash my windshield while at a stoplight in Detroit and then demand money, but that is the closest thing.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The street corner donation pitches happen all the time here.

We also have newspaper hawkers at busy intersections every morning. The city government tried to shut the hawkers down, but the newspaper won a court case which gives their sellers the perpetual right to operate in that fashion. Amazingly, I've never heard of any being struck by a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    With there little buckets looking for money. Every weekend there is some group looking for money handouts at this busy intersection a few miles from where I live. I never seen this in Minnesota. Is this an Indiana thing? These people could get seriously injured. It's crazy, I've even seen younger kids out there. I just think this is idiotic. Where I lived groups had car washes and stuff and people held signs on the SIDEWALKS near busy intersections, but never did they stand in the middle of traffic, with cars flying buy 6 inches from them at 40-50 mph. IS this a common thing in this part of the country.
    In Chicago, there would a regular con where teams of kids would stand in intersections selling candy. They always claimed they were working for some charity, but really it was some shady looking guy who stood on the curb directing them which cars to go up to. My wife and I were suspicious, but even if you gave them the benefit of the doubt, we couldn't see ourselves supporting an organization that condones children selling candy in the middle of busy intersections.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Its very common to see in the midwest and southeast at least.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I never experienced this type of thing in California, but since I moved to Texas it's all over the place. At one busy intersection I saw a person push a wheelchair to the corner and than sat in it. I don't think they tolerate this type of activity in California. People sell newspapers, candy, and just ask for a handout. They also handout flyers for political campaigns or hold a sign with a political message on it.

And all them fight it out to grab the best intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    I never experienced this type of thing in California, but since I moved to Texas it's all over the place. At one busy intersection I saw a person push a wheelchair to the corner and than sat in it. I don't think they tolerate this type of activity in California. People sell newspapers, candy, and just ask for a handout. They also handout flyers for political campaigns or hold a sign with a political message on it.

And all them fight it out to grab the best intersection.
    Last summer there was a guy in a wheelchair in the grass beside of the ramp from an interstate. He had a sign saying that he was homeless and was asking people to put money in the bucket. Important to note is that he was on the driver's side (of course) of the ramp.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

You also get the handing out of the religious booklets at certain intersections - that happens a lot at the ballgames as well - along with other handouts.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

This happened all the time when I lived in Cleveland and Columbus. I have yet to see it here in Cincinnati or any of the other places I have lived.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    You also get the handing out of the religious booklets at certain intersections - that happens a lot at the ballgames as well - along with other handouts.
    Arguing with the Scientologists that stand outside the ballpark is always a gas.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

For a Level Playing Field

S/b illegal.

(1) Those standing at the intersection are at risk of being hit by a motor vehicle.
    (2) Those standing at the intersection are a distraction to those driving the motor vehicles and might cause an accident.

Sorry to use common-sense. I am sure I am denying some God-given right, but it is just common-sense talking.

It happens all the time here in NJ.

The Fire Dept's around here do it to fundraise.

...and the one that really bugs me the most is when schools send out their athletic teams to fundraise. If my daughter ever decides to play sports, I will never give the school permission to let her stand out in the middle of the street and beg for change.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Last summer there was a guy in a wheelchair in the grass beside of the ramp from an interstate. He had a sign saying that he was homeless and was asking people to put money in the bucket. Important to note is that he was on the driver's side (of course) of the ramp.
    Just last summer?

I see this daily in PDX.

Here's a story about it

http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=6021

I see it done around here on occassion. I refuse to let my own sons do it. They can hold out a bucket for little league donations at a convenience store or supermarket, but no way are they going to even be beside a busy road/street, much less in the middle of the street.
    I also refuse to donate anything when kids or even adults are in the middle or near the road; I do not want to encourage such irresponsible conduct.
    I will admit that 30 years ago, when I was young and single, I did regularly donate money in my small hometown to the cheerleaders when they were in the middle of main street raising money.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I saw this a couple of weeks ago when I was driving on US31 through Kokomo, IN. It was some fund raising activity, and they were standing in the median walking up and down asking people for money while we were stopped at one of the many, many, many, many stop lights in Kokomo.

Turn Off Ads?