Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Browning's new book

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Browning's new book

So I picked up Tom Browning's new book at the game on Mother's Day, got the autographed copy and everything. I started reading it last night and there are some interesting stories in there. The writing style doesn't exactly rank up there with some of the greats of literature, but it's not a bad read. Here's one of the stories I found amusing.

During camp back then, pitchers threw batting practice. We were supposed to use that time to work on pitching from the stretch and from the windup, and basically just to get our legs back under us. Dave parker pulled me aside early that spring with some advice.

"Listen, this is batting practice for us," he said. "You're not trying to throw your best pitches here. You're not trying to strike us out. Just work on your delivery and throwing the ball over the plate."

I understood. This was early camp, so everyone was a little rusty. It wasn't an audition, Park said. It was just a chance for everyone to get back into baseball mode.

Park was one of the first guys I faced after our talk. I threw a strike and he crushed it for a home run. I threw another, and he crushed another one. And these weren't cheap home runs.

Apparently, Dave wasn't feeling too rusty.

After the third rocket cleared the right field wall and landed in the parking lot, he stepped out of the box with a little smile on his face.

"Did that one hit my Porsche?" he asked me. "Tell me it didn't hit my Porsche!"

I thought he was kind of rubbing it in, so I threw the next one right under his chin. After that, I was just doing what he told me to-there was no reason to rub it in.

Park just backed off and smiled after that pitch. He knew I said everything I needed to with just that one pitch.

I went back to throwing strikes, and he went right back to hitting home runs. But I never heard another damn thing about that car of his.
    There are a few other good stories as well, but I'll finish the book before I pick any more out. I would recommend reading it though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Browning's new book

I didn't realize Tom Browning had written a book. Thanks for the tip, ORH.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...lance&n=283155
    Last edited by Spitball; 05-29-2006 at 01:53 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

It's a great book for us Red geeks, well worth the money!
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Thanks for the tip. I just put in an Interlibrary Loan Request for it at my local library.

They are selling autographed copies at Reds games to benefit the Reds Community Fund. I believe the cost for an autographed copy was $25.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    They are selling autographed copies at Reds games to benefit the Reds Community Fund. I believe the cost for an autographed copy was $25.
    That's what I gave for my copy. He was there signing them as you bought them.

Thanks for the heads up. I just picked up a copy over on amazon for $10 used. I can't wait to read this, it sounds very interesting.

Turn Off Ads?