Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Which catcher to keep ?

  1. #46
    Member Gainesville Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,168

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    I say keep Ross so I can post Go Gators everytime he does something good.

    How's that for an indepth, well thought out post?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    I don't think we need a big time run producing Catcher. I'd trade whichever I can get the most value out of, which is more than likely Jason LaRue. It also frees up some salary room and that is very important IMO. LaRue is also getting up there in the age for a catcher.

  4. #48
    Member Red Heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Why shouldn't it? Ross is Arroyo's personal catcher, so LaRue's stuck splitting time with Valentin, who seems to have the latin connection with the Lizard and catches him regularly, so now roughly LaRue should start for the other 3 starters, yet he's not. I'm not comfortable paying LaRue his contract if at best, he's going to only start 60% of the time. Reduce his salary by 40%, and they he's a fiscally sound decision.

    I'm comparing LaRue's salary to the rest of our roster, not the rest of the league. Based on what he's making, he's not producing for the price. This is Sean Casey all over again. We shed his contract, which allowed our organization to sign Dunn to a long term contract, which IMO was more important than retaining Casey for this season.
    I OK with trading Larue, don't get me wrong. In fact, I would have looked to trade him and Valentine over the winter. However, the Reds should get a talent return that they like and count the cost savings as a bonus, not the other way around.

  5. #49
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    I OK with trading Larue, don't get me wrong. In fact, I would have looked to trade him and Valentine over the winter. However, the Reds should get a talent return that they like and count the cost savings as a bonus, not the other way around.

    I agree, I wouldn't move him as a salary dump, and I wouldn't move him just to move him. I think that we can get some value for him from the right team, but I don't know the name of that mystery team.

  6. #50
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    958

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    I would definitely try to move Larue first, then Valentin. Larue is getting up there in age and we definitely can go younger there. So I would like to see these moves made:

    1)Reds Trade: Jason Larue to the Rockies for Ray King

    2)Reds Trade: Javier Valentin to the Rockies for Ray King

  7. #51
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    LaRue is also getting up there in the age for a catcher.
    IMHO, the age of LaRue vs Ross is pretty much a wash... Jason is only 3 years older, to the day. They have the same birthday!

    And he's only one year older than Valentin. So if you're saying age is a factor, you may as well dump all three.

    Jason was interviewed on the pregame show tonight (plus I read an article relating to this a couple weeks ago).

    He's quite disappointed with the way the catching situation has shaken out this season. He didn't bad mouth anyone and was extremely serene during the interview but did say he signed on as the starting catcher and doesn't feel that is reflected in how little he's playing. He also said it's difficult for him to get in a groove because of it.

    I tend to agree with him.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  8. #52
    Old Red Guard Reject
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,419

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    I prefer to keep Ross and Valentin for salary reasons, but it wouldn't break my heart if any of them were sent packing for pitching or prospects to be completely honest.

  9. #53
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,449

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    He's quite disappointed with the way the catching situation has shaken out this season. He didn't bad mouth anyone and was extremely serene during the interview but did say he signed on as the starting catcher and doesn't feel that is reflected in how little he's playing. He also said it's difficult for him to get in a groove because of it.
    I saw that as well and thought that was a little out of character for him. I think Larue is pretty much of a class act and was surprised to hear him speak out at all. I guess when things are not going well (personally or team-wise) you're more likely to speak up.

    In the same vein, when you're not going well (personally or team-wise) you're more likely to find your butt on the bench.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  10. #54
    SSG, Red Army Choir Guacarock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,166

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    IMHO, the age of LaRue vs Ross is pretty much a wash... Jason is only 3 years older, to the day. They have the same birthday!

    And he's only one year older than Valentin. So if you're saying age is a factor, you may as well dump all three.

    Jason was interviewed on the pregame show tonight (plus I read an article relating to this a couple weeks ago).

    He's quite disappointed with the way the catching situation has shaken out this season. He didn't bad mouth anyone and was extremely serene during the interview but did say he signed on as the starting catcher and doesn't feel that is reflected in how little he's playing. He also said it's difficult for him to get in a groove because of it.

    I tend to agree with him.
    The myth: A lack of playing time is preventing Jason Larue from getting his groove back.

    The reality: Despite batting .184, Larue has logged 64 plate appearances this May, essentially the same as the 69 plate appearances he received in May of 2005. So, contrary to what Larue is asserting, diminished playing time is not the root cause of his slump.

    What could be? Let's run down the more likely causes.

    1. A journeyman, David Ross, is making Larue feel uncomfortable, not only by hitting .300 with 4 HR and 12 RBI in 50 AB, but also by being the designated catcher of the Reds' flashy new SP Arroyo. What's more, management is giving Ross the opportunity, carrying him as a third catcher, even at the risk of sacrificing some flexibility and offense off the bench.

    2. Sensing he was in a more competitive environment than in years past, perhaps Larue rushed back prematurely from the DL, before he was really healed or ready to face ML pitching.

    3. Larue, if you examine the record, always performs below par in April and May, year in and year out. His slow start hasn't mattered much before now. No one really focused much attention on him because we have fallen out of contention by June 1 pretty much every year of late, and always could pinpoint greater scapegoats to blame than our catchers.

    If you ask me, Larue should just buckle down, start producing and prove his worth. Either the new Krivsky front office will be forced to deem him a keeper, or else another team will get the idea they can steal him away from the Reds and use him as their frontline catcher.

    Whining doesn't become a veteran player. Whether Larue is able to sustain or build upon his legacy, either as a Red or elsewhere, is something he'll need to take on himself and not leave up to third parties. He's been around the block long enough he shouldn't have to be coddled.

  11. #55
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,388

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock
    The myth: A lack of playing time is preventing Jason Larue from getting his groove back.

    The reality: Despite batting .184, Larue has logged 64 plate appearances this May, essentially the same as the 69 plate appearances he received in May of 2005. So, contrary to what Larue is asserting, diminished playing time is not the root cause of his slump.
    And yet, when given regular playing time, Jason Larue has always produced.

    If you ask me, Larue should just buckle down, start producing and prove his worth.
    Which is, of course, all he's ever done.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  12. #56
    SSG, Red Army Choir Guacarock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,166

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    And yet, when given regular playing time, Jason Larue has always produced. Which is, of course, all he's ever done.
    Don't get me wrong. I want Jason to succeed. His late uncle, Jay, was a longtime, personal crony. We spent many an idle evening relishing Jason's accomplishments and celebrating as Jason busted into the Reds' lineup and did exactly what you're saying, producing at each turn of the worm.

    I hope he has it within himself to do it again. It would be doubly sweet if he does it wearing a Reds uniform and leading this team into the playoffs. It's clear we have some great players on this squad, but now we need one or two catalysts among those players to exert leadership and lift the team to a higher plateau.

    If Jason's going to do it, his time is now, not only for himself but for the Reds. I'll always have an affinity to him, admire his ability and scrappy pride, and wish him well wherever he lands.

    That said, the first box score I check out every morning will be the Reds. As much as I hope he's among the players I'm tracking, it has to be for merit, not just because of friendship, longevity or seniority.

  13. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    60

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    No player at any position deserves to play hitting below the mendoza line! Just pathetic that the Reds organization can produce no one who can hit!

    Johnny Bench could put on the tools of ignorance right now as a senior citizen and hit more than .200!

    Very sad....

  14. #58
    Member tripleaaaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    583

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Huh?
    didn't mean cap space, but payroll, I think you know what I mean

  15. #59
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Which catcher to keep ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy P
    No player at any position deserves to play hitting below the mendoza line! Just pathetic that the Reds organization can produce no one who can hit!

    Johnny Bench could put on the tools of ignorance right now as a senior citizen and hit more than .200!

    Very sad....
    Johnny Bench is in the HOF because he was head and shoulders above average.

    I may be wrong but I don't see very many catchers in todays game that compare to Johnny Bench.

    Compare LaRue to every other catcher over the past three seasons.It might show LaRue is under rated around here.

    Yes, I would trade LaRue. I wouldn't just give him away though.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25