Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

Old Red Guard Reject

Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    I disagree. I'm far from a grammar Nazi, but it takes a fraction of a second to type and spell properly, and displays respect for everyone who reads what you've posted. People should be encouraged to write in proper English, and the rep system seems to be the only method of doing so.

The last thing we need is people posting in text-speak.
    To play devil's advocate, there's an awful lot of people using text-speak and it's pretty much a change in culture there. Using negative rep points for not using proper grammar is quite picky to be honest and discriminatory.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Actually, I don't find much different in the ORG and the Reds Live game threads. Not much of any action being reported in either. It would be better if we had something in "real time" like a chat feature. Than people who want to post "he gone", "multi-tasking", and "Deno would of caught that", etc. would have a place to release it without cluttering up the game thread.

Say what? There is a chat feature. Than, why not use it?

Ok, I can go along with that but where does "multi-tasking" fit in and WTH does it mean? I mean there is one poster who says it a lot on the game thread, kinda stupid IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    Ok, I can go along with that but where does "multi-tasking" fit in and WTH does it mean? I mean there is one poster who says it a lot on the game thread, kinda stupid IMO.
    Multi tasking is from a Red Roof Inn commercial that is played about 20 times per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    IIRC, "multi-tasking" is in reference to a much aired commercial on the Fox Sports OH games.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    No fair stumping for your own forum...
    I would hang out in both

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    I don't think there is any other Reds board is there? Redszone pretty much has a monopoly.
    Cincinnati.com has one as does Cincinnatireds.com

They are...not fun places.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Good post. And the reason why you can get away with it is because you will most likely never have to face that poster/member face to face.

The internet makes some people very bold in their talk. .

What bothers me about this forum - and alot of others have expressed the very same sentiment - is what you mention above Spitball - the condescending attitude that leads to basically a "know it all" attitude.... I'm right, and I'm trying to do you a favor and educate you.

We all, myself definitely included, will always encounter individuals that are more knowledgeable on various subject matter or topics.

Our whole lives are about learning.

But it's the way or approach inwhich it is done.

You have a vast mixture and diversity of not only people on here, but also type of fan...

from the casual fan, all the way to the die-hard statiticians.

I've stated this before - everyone derives their enjoyment from the game of baseball in different ways.

People don't want to simply respect that.

But there are also people who act childish in the real world - so it's no big deal for them to do so on a forum. They know no better, and nothing is gonna change them.

Finally....

I don't like the two separate game threads.

It has created "classes". There are those who come into chat, and want very much to participate on a gamethread, but are not able to NOW do so because a majority now post on the ORG gamethread.

And from my standpoint, these were not people who were "troublemakers" before. But now they are basically being "punished".

I think the gamethread should be accessible for all. Ther is a positive to that too. It enables people to get to know others better.

When you isolate people, even when the intentions were noble and good, that is very hard to do.

When a person joins RZ, are they required to have to read the forum rules (so they know/understand) and then sign a disclaimer that they accpet them?

That might be a solid idea to consider.

Alot of new members come from other various forums that have little or no moderation. So they are use to a more "open" atmosphere where little rules/etiquette are involved.

Also - maybe a few more moderators as this forum continues to grow?

GAC I agree with most of what you said. I don't agree with the extra moderation on the board. In my opinion, it all comes down to personal responsibility. The animosity is what is poisoning this board. We have to read through personal argument after personal argument. In the end, the only thing that will make this place better is posters doing what's best for the board (even when it's tough for the ego). I summarized my feelings in another thread:

To be fair, that's been the flavor du jour for a while around here.

In all honesty, this place is turning into one giant mess. That isn't on the mods. That isn't on Boss or GIK. It's on posters who just can't let things die. If people on this board could just accept "agree to disagree" into their thinking, this place would shape up quickly. I come to this place for good Cincinnati Reds discussion. The pissing matches are getting really old.

There is room for emotion on this board. There is room for statistical discussion on this board. There is room for personal observation. Some posts will be in depth and well reasoned, others will not. Baseball fans are a very diverse group. Some follow the game religiously, others casually. Some fans are guided by emotions, and others are guided by a statistical approach. Many are a mix of both. Many on this board need to accept the different approaches, because in the end we're all baseball fans.

For those of you who can remember the cincinnati.com board, please ask yourself: do you want this place to be that bad? Granted, we don't have trolls like Gallagher, but the animosity around here is getting to cincinnati.com levels.

I guess you could say this is a plea for posters on this board to take some responsibility. Accept the fact that there will be disagreements. If they are getting to a point where they hijack a thread, take them private. The rest of us don't need to read a personal argument. If you have animosity towards another poster/group of posters, take it private. I am not alone in my disgust towards these incidents.

edit: I'm not trying to single out this thread. I'm sure anyone who has visited a game thread lately will know what I mean.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Confidential Rep System = good idea.

Here are some other good ideas:
    Read your posts before submitting them.
    Remember that everyone is here because they like the Reds. (well, almost everyone).
    If you want to start a fight, go to a bar where you can actually get punched in the teeth.
    Remember, there are some youngsters on the board. Let's try to act like grownups for their sake.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed

In fact, many of the original and longtime posters around here came from cincinnati.com.

That board was a mess and they eventually killed it. I haven't been there since they brought it back but if I were to guess, it's more of the same.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    I disagree. I'm far from a grammar Nazi, but it takes a fraction of a second to type and spell properly, and displays respect for everyone who reads what you've posted. People should be encouraged to write in proper English, and the rep system seems to be the only method of doing so.

The last thing we need is people posting in text-speak.
    I don't think the rep system was set up to punish people for bad grammer was it? I thought it was about the quality of the post. I just survived an English Composition class last year and I am still not very good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Confidential Rep System = good idea.

Here are some other good ideas:
    Read your posts before submitting them.
    Remember that everyone is here because they like the Reds. (well, almost everyone).
    If you want to start a fight, go to a bar where you can actually get punched in the teeth.
    Remember, there are some youngsters on the board. Let's try to act like grownups for their sake.
    If everyone could follow those guidelines, there would be no need for moderation.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed

I thought the Cincinnati.com board was shut down and thus the creation of Redszone occured.

It's come back in the last year I think.

Popped into one thread and someone was called a jackass 3 posts in.

Great place
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    I thought the Cincinnati.com board was shut down and thus the creation of Redszone occured.
    The original Cincinnati.com board for shutdown because of the increased traffic on the Enquirer website for 9/11.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    The original Cincinnati.com board for shutdown because of the increased traffic on the Enquirer website for 9/11.
    And by that time RedsZone was already up in running, starting in 2000.

Turn Off Ads?