Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belisle going back to Cincy Germano called up

Re: Belisle going back to Cincy Germano called up

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    I don't think Claussen would be any better in the pen than he would be as a starter. His problem is consistancy but then again when Belisle started last year he wasn't that consistent either. Calling up Germano doesn't excite me that much but it saves them from making a 40 man move and going with untested AA arms. So for now i hope Justin has some sucess and something is done about the White, Shackelford, and Mercker triumverate of crappy pitching.
    Claussen has had plenty of time to make strides toward being a good starting pitcher. Belisle has yet to have an opportunity to start on a consistent basis. At this point we prett well know that Claussen is an OK 5th starter, but you cannot count on him to be any more than that. Belisle showed signs last year of being at least an OK 5th starter. Maybe his is better than that, and maybe his is worse. I think that the time has come to find out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    I don't think Claussen would be any better in the pen than he would be as a starter.
    If I were the manager, I wouldn't even consider moving Claussen to the bullpen.

Traditionally, Claussen often has a bad first or second inning, and then settles down quite nicely. Nine times out of ten, that's ok for a starter as long as he doesn't give up so many runs early on that he puts the team out of it from the get-go... but it's certainly not a trait that will EVER be effective from someone coming out of the bullpen. It would/could potentially be suicide to the team.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Belisle officially placed on DL a/o 5/28...JG gets the call.

Germano was the throw in and Chick was the real chip in the Randa deal, right?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Germano was the throw in and Chick was the real chip in the Randa deal, right?
    I believe that was the case, though Chick has the higher "ceiling" and Germano was "safer". If my memory serves me correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Albert Pujols is a freak of nature. It's not really fair to hold him up as the example, because very, very few players compare to him.
    Agreed, if someone is good enough they will make it up fast, those guys are rare.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Agreed, if someone is good enough they will make it up fast, those guys are rare.
    Get the time machine running and we can go back in time and draft Pujols.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Hard to sum up in words how much I don't want to see soft-tossing Justin Germano taking the mound in a Reds uniform.
    Chris Hammond says hi.

There is a place for soft tossers, especially ones with good control. Germano is supposed to have that. I wouldn't want 11 of him, but I'll take a couple. He doesn't walk a ton of guys, but is a little too hittable. He's allowed 8 HR this year, which probably puts him right where the rest of the Reds starters are.

I don't know if he's an upgrade over Belisle... in fact I'd wager he's a downgrade. But I prefer him to Rick White.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Get the time machine running and we can go back in time and draft Pujols.

We'd find out he's 45 and he'd tear his rotator cuff
    Go Gators!

Naw, with the management at the time he'd still be in AA

Re: Belisle goin back to cincy Germano called up

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    You mean like Albert Pujols who went from Single A to the majors in the Cardinal organization??
    yea, and name me ONE more. hes a freak, there are always exceptions

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Belisle finally figured out lefties this year, then righties started raking him. Puzzling. Anyways,good luck with the bad back,Matt,I know how you feel.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Re: Belisle goin back to cincy Germano called up

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    yea, and name me ONE more. hes a freak, there are always exceptions
    OK, lets look at the Cardinal roster:

Chris Carpenter came from the Blue Jays system
    Jason Marquis came from the Atlanta system
    Sindey Ponson came from the Baltimore system
    Mark Mulder came from the Oakland system
    Jeff Suppan came from Kansas City system

Looper came from the Marlins organization
    Rincon came from Pittsburgh organization
    Izzy came from the Mets organization
    Hancock came from the Phillies organization
    Wainwright came from the Braves organization

Miles came thru the White Sox organization
    Eckstein came from the Angels
    Rolen came from the Phillies
    Speizo came up thru the Oakland Organization
    Luna was a Cardinal
    Pujols was a Cardinal

Edmonds came thru the Angels Organization
    Encarnacion came thru the Tigers organization
    Bigbie came thru the Baltimore organization

So, as far as I can tell, your claim that the Cardinals, who "do it all right and are talented," have brought exactly four guys currently on the roster thru their system - Pujols, Luna, Molina and Thompson and all the rest have been free agents or acquired thru trades. It wasn't the Cardinal minor league system who taught them these traits and habits - it was either other organizations or the major league coaching staffs.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?