Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Homer Bailey so "off limits?"

Why is Homer Bailey so "off limits?"

Why is this guy still in rookie ball in Florida? Why is he not at least in Chatanooga? He's pitched over 50 innings with less than a 3.5 ERA. Is this guys head so delicate that he can't take some licks in AA ball? We need starting pitching or at the least help in the bullpen. This guy's 96mph fastball can't help us out in the bullpen right now?

Send him to AA or AAA for the next 6 weeks and see how he does. He's a big boy, he's not fine china. We could use him in the second half of the season. He could see what it takes to be a big league starter by watching Arroyo and Harang. This will help him make the big club out of spring training next year.

I've heard, "we don't want to hurt his arm," like an inning in the minors is easier than an inning in the big leagues on your arm. Get him out of rookie ball and challange this kid, lets see what he has. He if pitches well in AA or AAA in the next six weeks, give him a spot in the bull pen.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why is Homer Bailey so "off limits?"

Two Words - Brian Reith.

If the Reds, "gary-nolan-ed" Homer, the short term prognosis might be good, but not very good at the end.

I've heard (Re: People who get paid to "guess" at this) that he's heading for a Sept 2007 call-up. I'd take that as Best case scenario.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

50 IP barely counts as making an appearance at a given level and it's certainly nowhere near enough for a guy to make the rounds. Also, a 3.48 ERA in the FSL for a guy who entered this season with a career 4.42 ERA isn't exactly screaming "promote me!"

The overwhelming majority of pitchers aren't ready to put up a decent season in the bigs until they're 24. Homer Bailey just turned 20 and he's been nowhere near the head of his class to date. I know Reds fans are used to seeing prospect arms rushed, but constantly seeking to put a kid in over his head hasn't proven a wise developmental philosophy. For anyone expecting Homer Bailey to be some sort of near-term panacea, I think you're fishing in empty waters and for anyone hoping the Reds push him aggressively, I hope the Reds handling of him winds up irking you something fierce.
    Last edited by M2; 05-30-2006 at 11:20 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Two Words - Brian Reith.
    I understand point but Reith was never more than a middling prospect and the reason he failed had more to do with a lack of ability than being promoted too quickly(though he was).

The reason not to rush Bailey is that he is going through the progression of building arm strength and learning how to pitch and command his off speed stuff. Attempting to rush it or overwork him will likely have negative results.

Be patient, his performance will tell when it is time for him to move. The best for him will have him pitch 140 or so innings this year and 170 or so next year.

I think we're going to find the hallmark of this new administration is PATIENCE - all things in their time. I think we're going to less of this hurrying guys to the bigs just to see them flare out. I think some aptly noted Bailey is just 20 - give him time, give him time.

I thought he was 21 or 22 not 20. With that being said, I would like to see him challanged in at least Dayton. He had a pretty good spring training against big league hitters.

I have a question for you guys..

Since when is the Florida State League, a high A affiliate, a rookie league? Homer is a one level away from AA. Last I checked, he doesn't play short season or rookie ball.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I'd like to see him get up to AA sometime in the near future...there are some pitchers who you could say were rushed, but there are others who did just fine. I think we'd all take a Josh Beckett on the Reds roster right now.

Sarasota isn't exactly rookie ball. But I expect that he will be in AA after the AS break. He deserves it I think. He would do fine there I believe.

Homer Bailey just turned 20 and he's been nowhere near the head of his class to date
    Not sure if you meant draft class, or leagues he is playing in, but, he was voted the best pitcher in the Midwest League last year. I think that is the head of the class. This year he has been over matching hitters. He did last year too in low-A. Yeah his era wasn't 1.50, but he was VERY good.

This year he is 4th in K's, 8th in WHIP, and an opposing avg. of .198 (dont have the ranking available). His line is very good. I think he is very much so in the top of his class. I've seen him pitch numerous times and he just stands out as a pitcher, and a professional. When he stands on the mound, he silently tells the hitter that he is going to dominate him. Then usually does.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco

Since when is the Florida State League, a high A affiliate, a rookie league? Homer is a one level away from AA. Last I checked, he doesn't play short season or rookie ball.
    I was under the impression that the Dayton affiliate is the Reds true A league and Sarasota and Billings is their low A or "rookie league."

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco

Relax man. It's OK. We do have a Rookie league team in Sarasota, he probably just thought that is the team Homer is on.

George, the team Homer Bailey is on is right below AA-Chattanooga. We have two Sarasota teams and he is on the High-A level team.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    I was under the impression that the Dayton affiliate is the Reds true A league and Sarasota and Billings is their low A or "rookie league."
    I think your confusion stems from the fact that there are two Reds minor league clubs based in Sarasota. The Sarasota Reds are the High-A club (Dayton is Low-A) and the GCL Reds are the Rookie League Club there. (Billings is the other Rookie League affiliate.)

The list of affiliates is at http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...x.jsp?c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Relax man. It's OK. We do have a Rookie league team in Sarasota, he probably just thought that is the team Homer is on.

George, the team Homer Bailey is on is right below AA-Chattanooga. We have two Sarasota teams and he is on the High-A level team.
    Do the Dayton A league and the Sarasota A league have the same talant level? I just assumed that the Dayton League had better talant.

Sarasota's A ball team is a step ahead of Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    Do the Dayton A league and the Sarasota A league have the same talant level? I just assumed that the Dayton League had better talant.
    Post #12 answered my question

Turn Off Ads?