Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infield defense

Re: Infield defense

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Phillips isn't the type of player for whom you move other players. Phillips has to go where there's an open spot and hope that he doesn't screw it up.

Lopez is a player that gets to play where he wants, until the day that he gets dealt.
    I agree with you that the time to change Felipe's position has come and gone. I'll enjoy his production as long as he is around, but I wouldn't look to break the bank to keep him. I would be trolling around for a team whose window is around now-ish with a stud SS in the making at AA or above.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Lopez is a player that gets to play where he wants, until the day that he gets dealt.
    Hmmmm, but Dunn isn't? Just curious why that is as he's made many more errors than Dunn (granted, SS is harder than LF).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    I agree with you that the time to change Felipe's position has come and gone. I'll enjoy his production as long as he is around, but I wouldn't look to break the bank to keep him. I would be trolling around for a team whose window is around now-ish with a stud SS in the making at AA or above.
    Lopez is already gone considering who his agent is, if the Reds fall out of it the time to deal him would be this year.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Hmmmm, but Dunn isn't?
    hmm, but Dunn is. You'll notice that he's playing where he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Lopez is already gone considering who his agent is, if the Reds fall out of it the time to deal him would be this year.
    If the Reds fall and Arizona stays in the hunt, Kriv should be on the phone with the Josh Byrnes daily. Lopez for Steven Drew and Scott Hairston.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    If the Reds are going to consider moving Lopez to 2B, I'd rather see them look to move him. The market is going to be much greater for a good-hitting SS (albeit one with defensive shortcomings) than it will be for a good-hitting 2B. Perhaps my logic is all wrong on this one, but I'm of the opinion that Lopez would net us a really good package (including starting pitching help). If you swap him to 2b, you'll see that return diminish (if not disappear) and face further hurdles with the price he seeks in free agency.

I couldn't have said it any better.

With Lopez having Scott Boras as an agent, I'm concerned about Lopez signing long term in the Queen City. I also think that Boras would convince Lopez to resist a move to 2B, as it would diminish his market value.

That being said, while I would love to see Lopez on a LTC playing 2B, or maybe even 3B for the Reds, I think this might be a case where his perceived value might net us the pitching we need to compete and establish our franchise for 2007 and beyond.

I think Lopez offers a lot to the Reds in terms of offensive value, but until we move Lopez to 2B or 3B, he's a defensive liability due to lack of range and that less than accurate arm.

Turn Off Ads?